Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the look is very nice, especially the loops, the bottom could use a little more keel. Amazed at how many people swap out their ski's. I'm in that group as well. 2016 LXR and 2015 el tigre both have SLT's ski's on them. I know better carbides on the stock ski's make them much better than stock but they still push a little. Curved/arched bottoms steer much easier than flat ski's, so just new ski bottoms is all that is needed. Ski-doo has great stock ski's, cant say what polaris has.

·
Super Moderator
8,828 Posts
I see good and bad with factory skis for trail riding. One thing on the good side is their durability. They do hold up longer in junk riding with rocks and debris clanging off them. We can easily put on almost any carbide known to the sport. Steering effort is quite minimal.
The ski profile is not great though. Carbides are doing a lot of the work most of the time. When we get into some real snow, the stock ski profile just does not offer much. The skis feel like a toboggan with a keel added.
Handling on our machines is improved quickly with ski upgrades. I know people would enjoy the chassis design more with a better ski right from the factory. There is a lot of handling left on the table with skis that slide sideways so easily through snow covered turns on the trail.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The ski's are set up for the average rider, just like clutching and the shocks. No way around doing that. You want more bite, you probably are going to pay more for after market. I like the stock ski's. Have never had any issues with them once I put my choice of carbides on. To each there own.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have not 1 issue with the stock ski's with shim's and 8" single carbides minimum... I don't do much off trail riding though.. Most aftermarket ski's are too hard to turn for my liking.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Return to the 1996-2006 model year bottom profile, only remove the taper from the keels sides. Those were deeper keel, slightly tapered on sides (very slightly), and a good set of 'bides made them work under all conditions from loose powdery snow to hard as rock ice (due to arched bottoms creating the correct "amount" of bite as long as carbides were healthy)

For anyone reading this thread that has ever used them... Imagine those with "squared keel sides" to compliment their curved keels.... :wink

Never been another ski like them IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts