Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple friends who bought 2013 f800. they have both had starter issues and I have heard of another couple people with the same problems. now the one sled had the secondary attachment bolt break and the clutch is falling off and destroyed. heard that this isn't an isolated incident either. I was thinking of buying one of these next year and now I am thinking twice. does anyone have any input? I want to buy a new one to ride and not wrench.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you read all the problems with CAts on here you would never get one. This is a Cat sight. But if you talk to people they all have problems. Go fish around on Doo talk,and HCS. They all have something going on/ problems. The biggest issue is if you have a good dealer. And if you can turn a wrench,and how much you can put up with. My 012 800 has been good.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i have a couple friends who bought 2013 f800. they have both had starter issues and I have heard of another couple people with the same problems. now the one sled had the secondary attachment bolt break and the clutch is falling off and destroyed. heard that this isn't an isolated incident either. I was thinking of buying one of these next year and now I am thinking twice. does anyone have any input? I want to buy a new one to ride and not wrench.
Go buy one, you won't be sorry.

I am loving my 800 so far. The starter is a POS, but there is supposed to be an update/fix coming for that. I guess time will tell. I haven't had any problems with my starter, but I have been pull starting mine, b/c I too know a couple guys who've had the starters come apart. Sled always starts on the second pull so really no need for the ES unless a lady is riding it. I've had no problems with the secondary on mine, but it is a late build and I believe already has the updated parts in it. I've been playing around with the clutching to try to get a little more top end but otherwise I am very happy. Fuel mileage is nothing to brag about, but I run it hard and mostly off trail, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Sled has tons of power and the ride is unreal. I always come home with a smile on my face. Cat happy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Starter has cost me my season

My 2003 F7 SnoPro has been such a great sled I hesitated but finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 2013 F8 about a month ago. First trip to the UP starter pinion broke loose on the 2nd day. Rattled like a MF but was still ridable. Took it back to the dealer and they repaired with "new" updated pinon with a deeper grove for the C clip. Second trip...after about 100 miles heard the rattle again and then a catostrophic failure. Sounded like wwIII under the hood with sparks flying out the bottem and through the hood. Trottle stuck WO (guessing something ripped through the cable and pinched it. I'm very close to taking this POS back. Lucky I took my 03 F7 as a backup in the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My 2003 F7 SnoPro has been such a great sled I hesitated but finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 2013 F8 about a month ago. First trip to the UP starter pinion broke loose on the 2nd day. Rattled like a MF but was still ridable. Took it back to the dealer and they repaired with "new" updated pinon with a deeper grove for the C clip. Second trip...after about 100 miles heard the rattle again and then a catostrophic failure. Sounded like wwIII under the hood with sparks flying out the bottem and through the hood. Trottle stuck WO (guessing something ripped through the cable and pinched it. I'm very close to taking this POS back. Lucky I took my 03 F7 as a backup in the bed of the truck.
Better start yanking on the rope then. :lol:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Go buy one, you won't be sorry.

I am loving my 800 so far. The starter is a POS, but there is supposed to be an update/fix coming for that. I guess time will tell. I haven't had any problems with my starter, but I have been pull starting mine, b/c I too know a couple guys who've had the starters come apart. Sled always starts on the second pull so really no need for the ES unless a lady is riding it. I've had no problems with the secondary on mine, but it is a late build and I believe already has the updated parts in it. I've been playing around with the clutching to try to get a little more top end but otherwise I am very happy. Fuel mileage is nothing to brag about, but I run it hard and mostly off trail, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Sled has tons of power and the ride is unreal. I always come home with a smile on my face. Cat happy

If you buy a new sled with electric start it should work. And other than ladies needing it,how about bad backs,shoulders etc. I grew up on Cat's and until now is all I've ever owned. It's funny how some serious injuries combined with loss of work due to those injuries can turn a true green Cat rider into what was the best deal at the time. Anyway its hard to justify spending 11-13 grand on any snowmobile that you have to spend as much time working on as riding it. I hope Cat has better upgrades and fixes for the 2014 models. Just my 2 cents worth of biatching for the day. I want to get back on a Cat,one that I can ride with normal maintenance without having to worry about bad electric start,blowing $250.00 belts etc.etc. forevergreen I'm happy to hear of the good luck or good experiences you have had with your 800 because the F800 is what I would be in the market for.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you buy a new sled with electric start it should work. And other than ladies needing it,how about bad backs,shoulders etc. I grew up on Cat's and until now is all I've ever owned. It's funny how some serious injuries combined with loss of work due to those injuries can turn a true green Cat rider into what was the best deal at the time. Anyway its hard to justify spending 11-13 grand on any snowmobile that you have to spend as much time working on as riding it. I hope Cat has better upgrades and fixes for the 2014 models. Just my 2 cents worth of biatching for the day. I want to get back on a Cat,one that I can ride with normal maintenance without having to worry about bad electric start,blowing $250.00 belts etc.etc. forevergreen I'm happy to hear of the good luck or good experiences you have had with your 800 because the F800 is what I would be in the market for.
I don't disagree with you that if it comes with ES it should work. I bought my sled b/c I wanted the white sled and being a Ltd, ES came along with it. Would it be nice if it worked yes, but would I have added ES if it didn't come with it, no. I never thought about people with back/shoulder problems having issues pull starting, but I was just trying to point out that the sled starts right up and doesn't really pull that hard.

I also agree that we should be able to spend more time riding then wrenching when we shell out the money that we do for these things. If you're serious about picking up an 800 go for it man. This is by far the most fun sled I've ever owned and I would not be affraid to take it anywhere.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't disagree with you that if it comes with ES it should work. I bought my sled b/c I wanted the white sled and being a Ltd, ES came along with it. Would it be nice if it worked yes, but would I have added ES if it didn't come with it, no. I never thought about people with back/shoulder problems having issues pull starting, but I was just trying to point out that the sled starts right up and doesn't really pull that hard.

I also agree that we should be able to spend more time riding then wrenching when we shell out the money that we do for these things. If you're serious about picking up an 800 go for it man. This is by far the most fun sled I've ever owned and I would not be affraid to take it anywhere.

Forevergreen
I saw the pics of your sled and it is Sharp. I had an efi Cat before and know they start on second pull,and have gave that some thought. I've got a lot more PT before I pull the trigger. I want to do a U.P. trip before the end of March on the old Doo I have so I'm not really afraid of the sled breaking down,just my body.lol.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts