Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to post something yesterday but did not go thru. Let me try again.

I am still not happy with the performance of my new left over F800 2011 sno pro. I have put 500 miles on the machine. Top end this machine is running 95 mph. I talked to a dealer and he did the engineering math, this machine with the stock gearing and stock clutching should run 112 mph. Not even close, falling on her face in the high 80's. I feel it is clutching and have been looking at clutch kits. But with this machine under warranty should I be giving this back to the dealer and telling them this is not right. I am feeling my secondary is not shifting correctly. Must be some people that can help me with what I should expect with a stock set up. I talk to the dealer and he says you may want to buy adjustable weights. But this is my issue, I do not mind buying a clutch kit or just adjustable weights. But I feel this thing cannot come off the showroom putting out 160 horse power and run in the mid to upper 90's. So do I have secondary issues that my dealer needs to fix under warranty? Can I Mark the primary clutch with a marker jack the back of the machine up, run her to 8100 to 8400 rpm and check my Mark to see if it is shutting out all the way? Or does this have to been done in riding mod at WOT?

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts

I am still not happy with the performance of my new left over F800 2011 sno pro. I have put 500 miles on the machine. Top end this machine is running 95 mph. I talked to a dealer and he did the engineering math, this machine with the stock gearing and stock clutching should run 112 mph. Not even close, falling on her face in the high 80's. I feel it is clutching and have been looking at clutch kits. But with this machine under warranty should I be giving this back to the dealer and telling them this is not right. I am feeling my secondary is not shifting correctly. Must be some people that can help me with what I should expect with a stock set up. I talk to the dealer and he says you may want to buy adjustable weights. But this is my issue, I do not mind buying a clutch kit or just adjustable weights. But I feel this thing cannot come off the showroom putting out 160 horse power and run in the mid to upper 90's. So do I have secondary issues that my dealer needs to fix under warranty? Can I Mark the primary clutch with a marker jack the back of the machine up, run her to 8100 to 8400 rpm and check my Mark to see if it is shutting out all the way? Or does this have to been done in riding mod at WOT?
propping the rear off the sled off the ground and holding it wide open will do nothing but scuff the marker off when you let off the throttle.

Just pulling the sled off the show room floor and making it run its theatrical top speed will never happen.

Have you verified your top speed with a radar gun??

there is nothing wrong it and I doubt cat will warranty anything

2011 F8 sno pros are not fast sleds on the top end.

Knowing how cat sends out EFI sleds. I would adjust the throttle cable. That is good for about 10HP. I would start there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GragB,

Thanks for your reply. What I am looking for is for someone to tell me that 95 to 98 MPH is normal stock. If so I will work on Cluthing, pipes or what ever else I need to do so I can stop eating the snow dust from my wife's 2006 F6.

I have owned cat my whole life and I do not feel this is the norm for them to produce a 160 hp sled in a 470 lbs frame and it be like it is. Out of all the 800 HO that have been sold, someone must be able to tell me that this thing is right or wrong. Evryone that bought this sled could not be happy with it performance after the expectation of a 160 plus HP in this frame. I ride with ZR 900, they are faster thru out the power ban. The F600 will stay it and then pull away. My 98 Thundercat will eat this thing for lunch. It just can't be the stock expectation from Arctic Cat. But maybe I am wrong. I really feel that I am having shifting issue with my secondary but I have no snow to mark up the clutch to see if it is shifting.

Ok Stock 800 HO guys Please tell me the truth. Do I start spending money or is she not normal. It is a 2011 F800 Sno Pro

·
Registered
126 Posts
propping the rear off the sled off the ground and holding it wide open will do nothing but scuff the marker off when you let off the throttle.

Just pulling the sled off the show room floor and making it run its theatrical top speed will never happen.

Have you verified your top speed with a radar gun??

there is nothing wrong it and I doubt cat will warranty anything

2011 F8 sno pros are not fast sleds on the top end.

Knowing how cat sends out EFI sleds. I would adjust the throttle cable. That is good for about 10HP. I would start there.
Interesting,,,,,,never heard this adjusting the throttle cable before,are they not set proper from factory??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
GregB,

I thought I would get more opinions on stock F800 sno pro for top end speed, but maybe only one or two were sold across the country. LOLOLOLOL What you are saying, they are not that fast on top end do you agree it is the primary clutching? The HP is there. I would be happy if this would run in the 110 mph range. Do you feel the 75 to 80 gram weights in the primary will get me there? I know the ZR 900s come stock with 81 gram weights. Lot of pull all the up to 110 mph on the 900s and they have a little less HP. We have recieved some snow in Maine and I will be able to make my clutch and check my shifting. What are our thoughts on the weights. Purchase the adjustable ones and find the sweet spot. If you are saying these machines are not that fast on top end by design, then I would say this is my only issue. I was hoping for more info on stock set up from other posters so I did not have to experiment my self. I know someone must have asked this same question since 2011.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i dont want to be the bearer of bad news but i had an 07 f800 and it was a huge dissapointment. I put a y pipe in it and reeds and the fastest i ever got was 104........Coming off my 03 F7 i was Cat's customer service nightmare and continued to send letters and emails of my dissapointment and what would they do. They told me this is a trail sled not a performance sled. I decided at the end of last year enough of seeing the back of the Doos and bought a leftover 11 CFR 8. They be seeing my back end now!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Muckers, thank for the reply.

Mine is the same motor as your CFR. 2011 f800 HO sno pro. 160 plus HP. I am only looking for the truth about these machines stock. I can work from there. What are you seeing stock from you CFR top end? And what are the weights in your primary clutch. Mine are 71 Grams. I feel I need to get to 76 to 80 Grams to get this sled a little more top end. I would be happy with 110 mph. Do you have a clutch kit? If so, what did you install?
Chicken

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Why not give a call to BMP (Bikeman) and see what they have to say. A performance shop should give you the straight skinny on what you need to do. All it takes is $,$$$ to go fast and more to go faster.

Steve with a BMP stage 2 kit on my 09 800. 75mph in 500ft - 6.8 sec. Stock motor (i want it last 10,000mi)

·
Registered
228 Posts

I saw 104 with my '09 F8 SnoPro with 20 hp less than you, Cobra track (scrubs off speed), stock sled other than the Plowman's motor mount stabilizer. I never gave a darn about top end, it just tried it out a couple times for the heck of it to see if everything is working OK. This was on a trail with some loose snow, not ideal top end conditions by any means. Speedo readout (not gps). You should see more than I did.

I think the Plowman's motor mount stabilizer helped. You can do a search on here & find out all kinds of info about it. I would try this first.

Also make sure your belt deflection is good, plenty of info on here about that as well.

Do NOT run your track too tight, this is a mistake many people make. With the track suspended off the ground, there should be a good 1.75" of distance between the track and the slides when you push down on the track with a moderate force. I run mine at 1.75" to 2" & never have ratcheting problems.

Another thing is carbides; dual carbides will scrub off speed (but help eliminate darting). My F8 had C&A Razors with single carbide shaper bars, FYI.

One more thing - yours is not done breaking in yet. It seems like these diamond drive sleds need several hundred miles to get close to their true potential. Mine was slower the first 1000 miles or so. It just woke up over time. The first year I had my '09 I remember being a little disappointed about top end, whenever I did open er up, it was really hard or next to impossible to break 100. By the time I sold it with 3,400 miles I was very satisfied (now my buddy is very satisfied with it)!

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
GregB,

I thought I would get more opinions on stock F800 sno pro for top end speed, but maybe only one or two were sold across the country. LOLOLOLOL What you are saying, they are not that fast on top end do you agree it is the primary clutching? The HP is there. I would be happy if this would run in the 110 mph range. Do you feel the 75 to 80 gram weights in the primary will get me there? I know the ZR 900s come stock with 81 gram weights. Lot of pull all the up to 110 mph on the 900s and they have a little less HP. We have recieved some snow in Maine and I will be able to make my clutch and check my shifting. What are our thoughts on the weights. Purchase the adjustable ones and find the sweet spot. If you are saying these machines are not that fast on top end by design, then I would say this is my only issue. I was hoping for more info on stock set up from other posters so I did not have to experiment my self. I know someone must have asked this same question since 2011.

throw some weight and see if that helps. The F chassis is not a good top end runner. The old firecats and zrs are much better for speed.

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
Interesting,,,,,,never heard this adjusting the throttle cable before,are they not set proper from factory??

cat typically will have it set so you it will only hit 3/4 to 7/8 throttle. Zip tie your flapper to the handle bar and reach down and see if you can open the TB anymore. If you can adjust the cable. This is why some of the stock sleds flat out rip and others are turds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info. Don't get me wrong I really love the handling and ride. Also very impressed with the gas mileage for 160 plus up. Just need to do a little tweaking to find the sweat spot for me. Sounds like it is performing the way cat set it up stock, I can work from there. I was just a little surprised when I would push this sled in the open in the upper 80 mph range that it was starting to fall on its face stock.

Wrong expectations going in. I was still driving my Thunder cat before this sled. The pull at 90 was as strong as 60. WOT was two things, not enough room or when you climb to the 120 mph area you started think what would happen if the belt blew right now. So you backed down, not the sled.

Thanks guys for all the help.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Do not rely on the speedometer just to verify top end between the ZR and the F8. You might be surprised when you run them on radar.

That being said, the F8 is going to be tough to get over the hondo mark in stock form. The chassis is great for riding, but not the best for lake running. We can get them to run easily in the upper 90s for long runs, but struggle to get over 100 in trail conditions.

GregB is giving out one of the secrets to these sleds with the throttle adjustments. They do perk up with full throw on the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
Do not rely on the speedometer just to verify top end between the ZR and the F8. You might be surprised when you run them on radar.

That being said, the F8 is going to be tough to get over the hondo mark in stock form. The chassis is great for riding, but not the best for lake running. We can get them to run easily in the upper 90s for long runs, but struggle to get over 100 in trail conditions.

GregB is giving out one of the secrets to these sleds with the throttle adjustments. They do perk up with full throw on the throttle.

are you going to the sneak peak next week????

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help. Checked the throttle, was not going WOT. Maybe 7/8. I will buy the stage 2 kit with adjustable weights and install this summer. It looks like I will start at around 75-77 grams. After that I will except that it's not my thundercat. The ride and mileage is worth some top end. I would be happy to get her running in the 110 mph and with 160 plus up it should be do-able.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
are you going to the sneak peak next week????
I am going.

Want to check out the clutching and tunnel updates. I'm on my 3rd tunnel this year. I've also added venting and still eating belts, so I'm curious how they have improved the clutching.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts