Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Follow what your manual says first pre-mix tank for the 2 strokes.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
X2 I think after the tank of premix you're good to go. It does not take long for a 2 stroke to get broke in b/c basically all you're doing is getting the rings seated. Make sure you vary throttle positions, don't run at constant speed too long, and throw in a couple of short pulls at WOT. Just read the book, it's all in there.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I in the past ran one tank of pre-mix then the next tank no more than short bursts of full throttle then after that how ever you want to ride. Just make sure on that first tank to keep an eye on how much oil is being used out of the resevore so no air bubbles are going to bite you on the second tank.

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
a couple miles. There is nothing to break in on a 2 stroke. The rings seat very quickly and there is only a short window of time before they do. Heat cycle it in the garage and run it. The only reason they want you to run to 100:1 is in case a air bubble goes through the oil injection system.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Are the newer 800's (2014-2015) detuned for the first few hundred miles similar to the skidoo Etecs? Or is it all there right out of the crate? I ran away from a 2014 last winter with my 2012. Same sleds otherwise. Not sure why that happened so easily. I figured maybe it was detuned.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Are the newer 800's (2014-2015) detuned for the first few hundred miles similar to the skidoo Etecs? Or is it all there right out of the crate? I ran away from a 2014 last winter with my 2012. Same sleds otherwise. Not sure why that happened so easily. I figured maybe it was detuned.
All there right out of the box. The clutches are super tight when new and costs a lot of top end until they get wore in. Also, the 14s are geared way down compared to your 12.

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
All there right out of the box. The clutches are super tight when new and costs a lot of top end until they get wore in. Also, the 14s are geared way down compared to your 12.

x2.. my 14 picked up over 10 MPH top end once I got over 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Greg, did you stay with the lower gearing? I was considering installing the 14 gears in my 12 after grenading a low mile belt with the revised secondary last year. I would think they would might help a bit on the low end in addition to cooler temps (hopefully). What speeds are you seeing? I usually end up in a lake race with my pals a few times a year & the best I saw I beleive was 104 gps. I don't care if I give up some of that as its pretty quick to 95 right now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've got the updated gearing in my 800 and it's kinda a trade off IMO. The sled seems quicker out of the hole, but top end is down and so is fuel mileage. I got the bf secondary at the same time so I'm hoping that I will gain some speed up top once the clutch gets some more miles on it. My belt life is a lot better after the update though. I have about 1k hard miles on the belt after the updates and it still looks great. I never had one go past 800 miles before the updates, no matter how I rode it. Not sure if the gearing or clutch made more of a difference, maybe both, but it is a lot better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've got the updated gearing in my 800 and it's kinda a trade off IMO. The sled seems quicker out of the hole, but top end is down and so is fuel mileage. I got the bf secondary at the same time so I'm hoping that I will gain some speed up top once the clutch gets some more miles on it. My belt life is a lot better after the update though. I have about 1k hard miles on the belt after the updates and it still looks great. I never had one go past 800 miles before the updates, no matter how I rode it. Not sure if the gearing or clutch made more of a difference, maybe both, but it is a lot better.
I echo all your comments with my Turbo. Too bad we had to loose so much on the top to increase belt life.Mine was not a belt eater but did the updates for piece of mind. Now I kind of wish I'd left the gearing alone.:cold:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts