Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2008 F8 that stalls, and will restart with just a few pulls. May run all day or 5 minutes. Want to check the smart valves, but can't find the procedure of how to fix them. Remember there was a procedure that used a pen spring. Is it a big deal to get them out of the tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased an 07 f8 with a similar issue, always starts on 2 pulls and idles. Applying throttle will kill it, then it will run random intervals. I plan on pulling the tank but always have pressure to the fuel rail. Ive checked compression and have no codes. It definitely seems to be a fuel issue, similar to vapor lock on an older vehicle. New pickups for it are $100 and actually about the cheapest repair. The only solution i have found posted is air intake sensor. Good luck and post your data!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just purchased an 07 f8 with a similar issue, always starts on 2 pulls and idles. Applying throttle will kill it, then it will run random intervals. I plan on pulling the tank but always have pressure to the fuel rail. Ive checked compression and have no codes. It definitely seems to be a fuel issue, similar to vapor lock on an older vehicle. New pickups for it are $100 and actually about the cheapest repair. The only solution i have found posted is air intake sensor. Good luck and post your data!
We took the fuel pump out and took the valves apart, took the fuel rail out and took the injectors out. I was looking for water but didn't find any to speak of. Doesn't take only a couple drops to bother because water will not go thru the injector. The little spring inside the "smart valve" wasn't broken but we stretched them out a little and put them back in. It quit 1 time right out of the garage, restarted with 1 or 2 pulls and I drove it about 12 miles without a hiccup. I didn't have a gage to put on it then, but I do now. We put some seafoam in with some new gas and will get some run time on it this weekend with the pressure gage on it. I will report how it goes. Good luck to you as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We took the fuel pump out and took the valves apart, took the fuel rail out and took the injectors out. I was looking for water but didn't find any to speak of. Doesn't take only a couple drops to bother because water will not go thru the injector. The little spring inside the "smart valve" wasn't broken but we stretched them out a little and put them back in. It quit 1 time right out of the garage, restarted with 1 or 2 pulls and I drove it about 12 miles without a hiccup. I didn't have a gage to put on it then, but I do now. We put some seafoam in with some new gas and will get some run time on it this weekend with the pressure gage on it. I will report how it goes. Good luck to you as well!
Good to know, I checked the coils and re checked fuel pressure as well as changed out fuel. I used the fuel pump to initially drain the tank in order to look for water and didn't see any. Today i had some time and decided to run it with the new gas because i was feeling optimistic, ran great for two miles and the had a tiny hesitation. Being alone it was time to tuck tail. It didn't die today but bogged out hard the last hundred feet to trailer would only pull 3k rpm. Time to pull the tank.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, I checked the coils and re checked fuel pressure as well as changed out fuel. I used the fuel pump to initially drain the tank in order to look for water and didn't see any. Today i had some time and decided to run it with the new gas because i was feeling optimistic, ran great for two miles and the had a tiny hesitation. Being alone it was time to tuck tail. It didn't die today but bogged out hard the last hundred feet to trailer would only pull 3k rpm. Time to pull the tank.
We did the exact same thing, but yesterday it stalled again. Now thinking its a throttle position sensor adjustment problem. Kind of like the old safety switch problems when everyone bypassed them. You can't bypass this one, I just have to figure how to adjust them. It's done with a volt meter, I need to do a little homework with a wire diagram to know what wire to test. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did the exact same thing, but yesterday it stalled again. Now thinking its a throttle position sensor adjustment problem. Kind of like the old safety switch problems when everyone bypassed them. You can't bypass this one, I just have to figure how to adjust them. It's done with a volt meter, I need to do a little homework with a wire diagram to know what wire to test. I'll let you know what I find.
I think we found the problem, the throttle cable was very loose. Tightened the adjustment, but it was 38 degrees today and a light rain. Didn't get any ride time in so not sure if we fixed it. When we get to ride it again and find out, keep you posted.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess we haven't fixed it yet, stalled again today. Always restarts either with the starter or hand crank. Need to put the pressure gage on it to see what we are loosing, fuel or spark. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Unplugged the TPS, wanted to check the adjustment, and the harness to the sensor was rubbed thru to bare wire right near the connector. A coolant hose had rubbed on it long enough to wear the insulation off. We drove it about 10 miles and seemed to be better. Need to get more miles to know for sure. Maybe next weekend we can get more run time. Keep you posted

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove it today about 60 miles and it stalled 1 time. Didn't get gage on it, spent about 20 hours in our Tucker over the weekend, didn't leave much time for diagnostics. Runs perfect at 30 to 40 MPH, but shut it off and it may stall after about 10 seconds. Immediately restarts and may run the rest of the day without a hiccup. Kind of frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine Was at the dealership last week and seems to be running a lot better, from what I understand they told me they put extra gaskets under the power valves to shim them out, did not seem Right to me but does seem to be working

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess you need to try something, I thought I found the problem 2 or 3 times. I'll give it a try, got nothing to lose. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More progress tonite, checking the power valves making sure they move ok and one of them had a broken spring. Not real sure if that would cause a stall, but kind of related to your extra gasket. We don't have a new one yet but will report back when we get it changed. One other thing we found is the fuel pump makes 30 PSI and holds that for a while before it starts to drop. Need to drive it with the gage after we get the new spring installed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts