1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice on how to set my sled up
My facts
Im 5' 10" 190#
Currently have the Fox flots set at 75psi (nitrogn filled)
rear preload on #2
limiter strap is as I received it(Just founfd this is not ajustable)
I have 108 pixs
and have Deuce bars stud boy 9" wear rods
left coupler blocks in for now

331 miles this week in hurley,WI
1st the sled is awsome I had no soreness at all and it absorbed the bumps great everyone that rode it said (HollyShit Awsome in the bumps)

Problem : The sled would not dig in and get traction. I would just spin. front end wouldn't even lift up a little. 800X would woop me off the line 3 sleds and I would start catching them at 80 mph and start to pass at 95 mph or so.
I also fish tailed darted bad after i would pass a grommer on unpacked snow and if I gave it some good throttle i would just spin.

Biggest problem the sled just won't turn aggressively, had to slow way down in the turns
I'm willing to buy new skis if I have to but I have $150 wear rods on it. It should turn great. I had no ski lift at all

thanks in advance for your help in a reply

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Sounds mostly like you need more studs and better skis

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I've never run Floats, but isn't 75psi pretty high? I agree with Chris that new skis and more studs would help, but there's no reason the stockers should suck that bad. Seems like you've got your sled in the old "teeter totter" position. Too much suspension in the middle of the sled. That is typically why your ass end floats around and you push in the corners. Try getting a little more weight to the front of the sled by backing off the front shock in your rear suspension. Or suck up the limiters a notch or two.

What kind of conditions were you in nbtwfo?

I wish I could give you a comparison as to how my F8 rides, but there's no snow anywhere near me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I checked over at Woodystraction.com and they recommend a minimum of 153 studs for trail or187 for performance application. I think you just need to put more studs in. Check out their website there is alot of useful info

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I put 200 studs in my F8

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Dec 31 2006, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've never run Floats, but isn't 75psi pretty high? I agree with Chris that new skis and more studs would help, but there's no reason the stockers should suck that bad. Seems like you've got your sled in the old "teeter totter" position. Too much suspension in the middle of the sled. That is typically why your ass end floats around and you push in the corners. Try getting a little more weight to the front of the sled by backing off the front shock in your rear suspension. Or suck up the limiters a notch or two.

What kind of conditions were you in nbtwfo?

I wish I could give you a comparison as to how my F8 rides, but there's no snow anywhere near me.[/b]
Conditions were ok , groomers where everwhere. packed and heavy. and loose after you pass the groomer. We came home yesterday

·
Registered
460 Posts
For more track traction try tightening the front arm spring first, going a couple threads at a time and then try it. Also, try adjusting your coupling blocks, later coupling for better traction.
For turning, duel runner carbides just don't cut it, no matter how much carbide you run. They act like hydroplanes. I am also guessing single runner carbides will dart like crazy due to the weight of this sled, just like they do on the Apex and T660 Turbo. It will probably take an after market ski, my guess either the Simmons or the Pilot Ski.
Hope this helps and good luck.
mike

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NBTWFO @ Dec 30 2006, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Need some advice on how to set my sled up
My facts
Im 5' 10" 190#
Currently have the Fox flots set at 75psi (nitrogn filled)
rear preload on #2
limiter strap is as I received it(Just founfd this is not ajustable)
I have 108 pixs
and have Deuce bars stud boy 9" wear rods
left coupler blocks in for now

331 miles this week in hurley,WI
1st the sled is awsome I had no soreness at all and it absorbed the bumps great everyone that rode it said (HollyShit Awsome in the bumps)

Problem : The sled would not dig in and get traction. I would just spin. front end wouldn't even lift up a little. 800X would woop me off the line 3 sleds and I would start catching them at 80 mph and start to pass at 95 mph or so.
I also fish tailed darted bad after i would pass a grommer on unpacked snow and if I gave it some good throttle i would just spin.

Biggest problem the sled just won't turn aggressively, had to slow way down in the turns
I'm willing to buy new skis if I have to but I have $150 wear rods on it. It should turn great. I had no ski lift at all

thanks in advance for your help in a reply[/b]
I rode in the same general area on thursday. The lack of traction was a characteristic of the trail conditions. No real base except for maybe some ice, the 12" of heavy wet snow lost is moisture as temps dropped and basically turned to an icy, granular snow thats not condusive to great traction. The lack of weight transfer on your sled could be more than just suspension issues. If the belt is slipping on the secondary, it's not transfering enough torque to the drivetrain. I observed the same problem with my x-fire while riding there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts