Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:beer_cheers: I'll give you guys some of this beer if you'll help this newbie out with a decision. I have always been a avid rider of bikes and atv's I currently have an 2004 R1 and 2003 Raptor 660. I have wanted to take up snowmobiling for some time now and with prices on new sleds way down from lack of snow I almost feel as though this is the best time to do it. I have basically summed it up to three 2007 sleds which are the F8, F1000 and Blizzard 800 h.0. . I'm sure I'll get no votes for the Blizzard on this site. I'm a big rider (6'3 270 lbs.) and heard the doo's were uncomfortable for big riders and have heard the F8 will smoke it anyway. I guess being a newbie and looking for the baddest sled on snow makes me look like a squid but I know myself and I'll be very dissapointed next year when I start getting the itch for a sicker ride. My dillema is basically picking between the F8 and the F1000 as these are what I think will be closest to what I'm looking for, what do you guys think I should pick? I've been reading around and have heard very good things about the new F8 and American Snowmobiler says its cats' best new engine. On the other hand the reviews of the F1000 have been sketchy at best (Motors blowing, no top end, high risk in adding add-ons, etc........). I've given my situation and I guss my question is is the F1000 worth the extra cash over the F8? Also I have been Yami loyal forever but just can't see those Apex's keeping up with the other sleds I've mentioned am I right? THANKS A TON GUYS

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Only advice I can give you is this. If you want big power, buy big power. Don't buy 110hp sled when you know that you will not be happy with it in a year or so.
Onto the next subject: I'd never buy a first year model release, engine or complete sled from anyone. I'd suggest a new/leftover zr900 Sno Pro (that's what I'm looking into). A person can buy them cheap enough now and not be buried in it money wise. The sled is 150hp and with the savings you can buy a big-bore kit next year and get 180 + hp out of it. Just my 2 cents worth.
P.S. I've seen some many leftover f7's as well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
yeah dont get a super new fancy sled for a first time rider. just get an older zr900 like the guy said. whatever you do dont get something that you cant get aftermarket preformance parts for. that way if your not happy with power you can just buy a pipe and a clutch kit. or maybe bigbore it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome to the site Northtroyboy! :thumbsup: The dilemma you appear to be in isn’t all that uncommon for a lot of us toy loving boys! I was in the same predicament this spring except the fact I had already narrowed my options down to the 1000 and F-8. What is your budget and what type of riding will you be doing? Assuming that you are willing to spend the $ for the new stuff, I can at least pass this on. You own an R 1 and a raptor. These are fairly aggressive machines imo.
I can’t comment much on the Rev since I haven’t had that much seat time on one, but what I will say is, I think it’s a great sled but maybe not the best option for someone your size. Also, nothing worse than laying down big $ and having an obsolete machine the next year. There are rumors of a new chassis on its way.
Although I would typically agree with the comment zrt800 made regarding not buying first year models releases, I took the plunge on an F-8 and for my wants and needs, this looks to be the real deal. (Only 300 miles on it so far though) I’m not sure what to believe and what not to believe with some of the issues on the 1000 that have been posted. One can only imagine that there are issues not only with the F’s but with any make or model. I can only pass on that the guys I talked to on the lake and trail over Xmas were ear to ear smiles with their 1000’s. (Again, I feel for those who haven’t been as fortunate with their new F’s)
Buying a ZR 900 or nothing super new and fancy is certainly something to think about. A ZR would be good on the ice imo. And the savings on a used or leftover F-7 would make a lot of guys more than happy for sure. But if you’re the type that has to have the latest and greatest, the sickest, the smoothest… and the $ is within your means, buy a new F. Comparing the F to the older cat chassis is like comparing a 98 Vette to a 07 Ferrari. Nice in their day BUT…. End of story for me. I love the 8. I don’t ride lakes much and I am a smaller rider. Talk to some guys with 1000’s and make your choice. Good luck and I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (northtroyboy @ Jan 10 2007, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:beer_cheers: I'll give you guys some of this beer if you'll help this newbie out with a decision. I have always been a avid rider of bikes and atv's I currently have an 2004 R1 and 2003 Raptor 660. I have wanted to take up snowmobiling for some time now and with prices on new sleds way down from lack of snow I almost feel as though this is the best time to do it. I have basically summed it up to three 2007 sleds which are the F8, F1000 and Blizzard 800 h.0. . I'm sure I'll get no votes for the Blizzard on this site. I'm a big rider (6'3 270 lbs.) and heard the doo's were uncomfortable for big riders and have heard the F8 will smoke it anyway. I guess being a newbie and looking for the baddest sled on snow makes me look like a squid but I know myself and I'll be very dissapointed next year when I start getting the itch for a sicker ride. My dillema is basically picking between the F8 and the F1000 as these are what I think will be closest to what I'm looking for, what do you guys think I should pick? I've been reading around and have heard very good things about the new F8 and American Snowmobiler says its cats' best new engine. On the other hand the reviews of the F1000 have been sketchy at best (Motors blowing, no top end, high risk in adding add-ons, etc........). I've given my situation and I guss my question is is the F1000 worth the extra cash over the F8? Also I have been Yami loyal forever but just can't see those Apex's keeping up with the other sleds I've mentioned am I right? THANKS A TON GUYS[/b]
If you buy any of the sleds you mentioned you'll be happy. The new F is awsome . I have some friends that are your size and they ride Revs and love them. Only 1 Apex in ourgroup and he's always up front. F8 will be the cheepest the Doo and Apex will run you close to $10,000w/tax you can get a F8 std for $8,500 or so. As far as a left over I know by me there are great deals on 06 Crossfires and 06 Apexs out there. If Yami is your brand go with it!! plus you know your dearer already and that goes a long way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I am buying a new sled basically because I'm going to be trading in. I was also originally thinking leftovers when I started looking into buying. I wanted an F7 SP because I figured I'd get a good deal. Well the leftover F7 SP EFI at my dealer is $7500 and the F8 SP has been lowered to $8200 so that is why I was leaning away from leftovers, plus reading how much better the 8 was then the 7 in the ride quality. Here are the prices on all the sleds in question all being 2007's. Moneys not an issue as long as it's well spent and I'm happy.

1. F1000 SP ~ $9,700
2. F8 SP ~ $8,200
3. Blizzard 800 H.O. ~ $8,200
4. Apex RTX W/rev ~ $8,500 (Not familiar with the apex's so not sure exactly which model I would like)

If you guys were'nt brand loyal which one do you think is the best choice for a big rider into go fast stuff is, I am also looking for a good ride through the bumps and some cornering ability. I don't know if I'm allowed to plug dealers so I won't list where I got the prices just in case but if you like the prices and want to know p.m. me I'm in upstate NY in the capital district area. THANKS AGAIN GUYS.

·
Registered
224 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (northtroyboy @ Jan 10 2007, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I am buying a new sled basically because I'm going to be trading in. I was also originally thinking leftovers when I started looking into buying. I wanted an F7 SP because I figured I'd get a good deal. Well the leftover F7 SP EFI at my dealer is $7500 and the F8 SP has been lowered to $8200 so that is why I was leaning away from leftovers, plus reading how much better the 8 was then the 7 in the ride quality. Here are the prices on all the sleds in question all being 2007's. Moneys not an issue as long as it's well spent and I'm happy.

1. F1000 SP ~ $9,700
2. F8 SP ~ $8,200
4. Apex RTX W/rev ~ $8,500 (Not familiar with the apex's so not sure exactly which model I would like)

If you guys were'nt brand loyal which one do you think is the best choice for a big rider into go fast stuff is, I am also looking for a good ride through the bumps and some cornering ability. I don't know if I'm allowed to plug dealers so I won't list where I got the prices just in case but if you like the prices and want to know p.m. me I'm in upstate NY in the capital district area. THANKS AGAIN GUYS.[/b]
WoW Great pricing remember Freight and dealer prep will add another $500 to that, Go with the F8SP I got mine for $8600 +Tax OTD (Spring Buy in) If you want the big gun the F10 is a steal too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pricing was'nt as good a couple of weeks ago but its been lowered because of lack of snow and huge overstock. The Blizzard price is after freight and prep but all the others are before.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Of course I'm bias so I wouldn't tell you to go for the Blizzard, although from what I've heard it's a real nice sled. If it were me I'd go for the F8. Has plenty of power and is lighter than the 1000, which would make it a more versatile sled rather than just a lake racer. Plus with the F8 you still won't have to worry about the Apex or any of the other 800s. Whatever you choose you'll end up with a really nice sled, especially if it's a cat!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Power is a special thing . You will learn thatit is better to have then not. I bought the F8 LXR at $8550 including setup. The price differance between the two will pay for a pipe and y pipe and then some on the F8 and you will have more HP then the stock F1000 and a bunch more $$$ left over. They have been blowing theF1000 with the add ons not the F8. Just my Green blood thinking out loud!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (northtroyboy @ Jan 10 2007, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1. F1000 SP ~ $9,700
2. F8 SP ~ $8,200

If you guys were'nt brand loyal which one do you think is the best choice for a big rider into go fast stuff is, I am also looking for a good ride through the bumps and some cornering ability. I don't know if I'm allowed to plug dealers so I won't list where I got the prices just in case but if you like the prices and want to know p.m. me I'm in upstate NY in the capital district area. THANKS AGAIN GUYS.[/b]
First off let me say that all the sleds you listed are great sleds, and the prices you've shown are very resonible(especially here in upstate NY as I am also); but not knowing what type of riding you do and if you want a new '07 sled then I'd go with the F8. Haven't ridden my F8 yet, but we got some snow so this week-end may be a go up at Tug Hill which I'm close to anyway. Some of the magazines have stated that the F8 is the best of all of the "F" series sleds, especially Supertrax & American Snowmobiler amongst others, and the F8 is cheaper in price, has a knock sensor (which the F1000 does not have) probably better gas mileage & cheaper insurance, and is lighter. Also the left over F7's may be a good deal as well as the '06 ZR900; again it depends on what your objectives are in a sled, and also the new '07's have a new suspension, seating positions, steering is supposely easier as stated in all the mags, and it's just a completely better sled in all ways than of the "older" styles. Either one you choose, you can't go wrong. And if it's a Cat you choose, get the Sno Pro version of it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
479 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (northtroyboy @ Jan 10 2007, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:beer_cheers: I'll give you guys some of this beer if you'll help this newbie out with a decision. I have always been a avid rider of bikes and atv's I currently have an 2004 R1 and 2003 Raptor 660. I have wanted to take up snowmobiling for some time now and with prices on new sleds way down from lack of snow I almost feel as though this is the best time to do it. I have basically summed it up to three 2007 sleds which are the F8, F1000 and Blizzard 800 h.0. . I'm sure I'll get no votes for the Blizzard on this site. I'm a big rider (6'3 270 lbs.) a...................................................? THANKS A TON GUYS[/b]

I was in a sim. situation this year...ended up w new / 06 zr900..set up sled w/ diff/ springs for my specifics-/ front and rear & bergstrom tripple edge carbides. Nirvana.

If you could score one of these...you will have a smile that wont come off and arms that streched!.. . after a day ridin' n racin'.
Im 6-1 245,,,,No way a REV ..mabe a MACHz..been on both ,,a cold cramped ride . if you have long legs
I know you have a big ARTCAT dealer in town , http://www.troycitygarage.com/snowmobiles.htm
..this HAS to be great sled for a ..ahh."big boned guy"...and for the money.....no question. I rode a long track SaberCat efi 700.. You would not believe the bumps and whoops u wont feel. lotta legroom.
CROSSFIRE 700 EFI 136 BLACK $9,199 $6,499 IN STOCK

Im sure u can deal.

As far as the 07 sleds 1000 Cf seems like a great comprimise. But..wait till u see the $ on these boys about Sept 07! :super_happy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info guys I guess I was just reassuring myself about the F8 SP which is what I think I'm going with. I kinda was looking to see if there would be many arguments for some of the other sleds as I was already leaning toward the F8 SP. I'll let you guys know when I make my purchase as I am still feeling gun shy and may wait till spring. Thanks a bunch and yeah Troy City is the local Cat/Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts