Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new to the fourm and in need of help. I have a 2004 440 Sno-Pro and came across a sweet deal on a banged up F7 EFI, So I graped it and hauled out the motor and complete wiring harrness and transferd it into my 440 chassi. Had a few little hold ups along the way but nothin to serious, until I got the motor running. The sled will start and idle perfect, then I'll take it outside for a rip and it will make about 2 laps around my shop runing like a top and then all of a sudden it will start to spit and sputter and when you try and bar it to try and clear itself it will bogggggggg, shut it off for a minute and restart it and it will work fine for a minute or 2, then same thing again (allmost like the computer is going into limp mode). I'm a small engine technican and own and operate my own shop and have been racing sleds since I was 16 and i'm 26 now, not sayin that I know everything (otherwise I would'nt be making this post, lol!!!) but between me and my dad we can allways seem to find away around things. But this is the first EFI sled i've ever owned or worked on so i'm kinda in the dark, alot of peopole tell me that EFI's are really picky. So I gave my local cat mechanic a call and he asked me if I had the run position sensor pluged in, I did'nt even have this sensor yet alone have it pluged in lol!!! I was still using my 440 billet throttle block which dose'nt have the sensor in it. So I found the F7 throttle block but the sensor wires were cut so I soldered them back together and pluged it in........same thing! So I took it to the cat shop to plug into the diagnostics computer but it shows up "all sensors ok" so I left it with them to figure it out since I was tired messin with it (I completlly disassembled this sled to every last nut and bolt, changed the colour and installed the F7 motor) so I did'nt even wanna look at it anymore yet alone spend more hours into it. So as of yesterday it is still working the exact same and the cat tech. has 4 1/2 hours into it, by the time he finds the problem the bill will be so big I will have to give them the sled to pay for it LOL!!!

So any help or sugestions you can give would be great. If you wanna see the build from start to finish go to www.709riders.com were a sport bike freestyle stunt team but I ride sled in the off season.

thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
hey, welcome to arcticchat, sorry to hear about your problems, not really sure which direction to send oyu, i would try to get my hands on a ecu maybe,, just to try, would help narrow it down. Very nice looking sled, just wondering how you got the blue plastic.... haha or what you painted it with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man! it's just regular automotive paint that's all, base coat clear (electric blue pearl). Yea I was thinking on trying another ecu, but would'nt you think the diganostics computer would pick up a fryed ECU??? apaerntally you can't run a F7 or any of the EFI's whitout headlights, it sends a over serge of power to the ECU which fryes it. And the first few times I had it going I was running it without the headlights hooked up (did'nt know about the fryed ECU's then) so that might of did it. But I'm gonna try another one just to eliminate another option.

·
Registered
302 Posts
by the sounds of it, its not your powervalves, if it runs fine for the first little bit. unless your servo isn't working... then the comp goes into limp mode but your check engine light will flash, happened to me last year grass dragging, thought it was my overheat code, but turns out, my powervalves were not openning at all, still almost won one heat haha. found out this winter first ride out. I checked out your site its pretty cool, nice pics. I'd like to chat a little mroe about how you did all your plastic and some more pics of your sled, i'll do what i can to help you out... gotta be something easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea I knew it wasn't my valves, but somone mentioned that I might have them in upside down. But my problem defentally seems like it's in the computer somwhere. But yea register on our fourm and you'll see alot more pics and vids. Add me to MSN [email protected]

later man!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Like the blue paint job. It's not what you would normally see on a cat. Way Cool!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man! I did a bit of thinking before I changed the colour, I never saw a Blue Sno-Pro before, or even a blue Arctic Cat for that matter, thought it would look a little different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts