Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For riders of the F6 / F7 EXT (13.5 x 144")

* How would you rate this for trail / ditch / flatland riding?

* How would you rate this for mountain / powder riding?

Let me know your general impression of this sled....

Any trouble locating deeper lug tracks for this sled? (like 1.5" vs. 1.25)

·
Registered
35 Posts
My bro just got on 04 F7 144" but it was extended from a 128" to the 144" by the first owner. We got a 1.25" studded track & a 2.25" finger track with it. Haven't had a chance to do much "powder" riding, but the little we did get in, the sled did just find. The sled is very comfortable on the trails & in the ditches. Need an 8" riser though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I rode mine in the snowies from the 8th to the 12th of this month. For me it climbed ok. There wasn't much for powder out there unless you went in the trees.

F7's will chainsaw and sink in the snow, no big secret there. The problem with there floatation has some to do with their track width but alot to do with the approach angle. For the first couple of days I was a little off on clutching but by the last day I had it dialed in. For the most part they are a fun sled in the powder. You can really toss them allover the place. Mines a 151"x1.5inch lug and I wished I had more lug. If your looking to get deeper lug track you can always just cut down a 15" wide track, using a table saw or whatever. Another thing that will help is to completely get rid of your snow flap for mountain riding. Mine kept getting hung and would eventually be just hanging on by 1 bolt. I even had a snowflap with quite a bit trimmed off of it. Next time I'm just going to cut the flap off above the Arctic Cat log.

As far as ditch banging with these sleds, they are a blast. Its alittle harder to jump extended track sleds, espically when your on the gas. They will really rip the front end up in the air if your on the gas over jumps. The Combo of Lightweight and Power is second to none.

·
Registered
134 Posts
First.

I have a 05 F7ext

1) Get different skis. I have ca Razors with 8" shapers. Turns much better and floats better.
2) THey are MUCH more stable at high speed than a regular F7
3) They climb better than a regular F7
4) They have close to the top speed of the regular, but not the hole shot. The longer track and weight. THey are geared identical to the F7
5) Much better in soft snow.
6) Trails - depending on the driver, but they are somewhat harder to handle and push the corners. New skis help that though!
7) Do not expect much wheelies.
8) The ride is much nicer than the F7 std. especially after running washboard trails.
9) you can really side hill a ext compared to the std.

I like it. but as the saying goes. You can never have too much power! Next a F1000 ext! (XF1000)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rode mine for 2200 miles with the stock 144x1.25" track in everything from ditches, trails, powerlines, offtrail and mountains. Great machine.

Turning it into a mountain goat, I went to a 151x2" Challenger track this year. Not much difference between the two tracks trail riding or ditch banging but in the steep and deep, the 2" lug makes it a mini-M7 moutain machine.

[attachment=61005:Dsc07668.jpg]

With my home-made mods, the approach angle is less than a M7's and it's no longer a chainsaw.

[attachment=61007:Dsc07644.jpg]

Yank the sway bar! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SinisterSS @ Jan 17 2007, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rode mine for 2200 miles with the stock 144x1.25" track in everything from ditches, trails, powerlines, offtrail and mountains. Great machine.

Turning it into a mountain goat, I went to a 151x2" Challenger track this year. Not much difference between the two tracks trail riding or ditch banging but in the steep and deep, the 2" lug makes it a mini-M7 moutain machine.

With my home-made mods, the approach angle is less than a M7's and it's no longer a chainsaw.

Yank the sway bar! :thumbsup:[/b]
Could you explain your 'homemade mods' that reduced the approach angle and/or went from 144 to 151.

Also, did you find a 151 x 13.5 track or did you cut one down?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts