Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your guys opinion on something. I have a chance to get either an 2006 F6 sno pro or a 2006 F5 sno pro.I have heard positives on both but I have also heard the F5 is better because of the awesome engine in it. I kind of got turned away by the fact that the F5 is not EFI. I just dont know. The price range is only a few hundred bucks difference.What one should I get???????

I dunno I dunno I dunno

·
Registered
456 Posts
the horse power of the f6 is the selling factor.The firecat is a performance sled.my 98 zr 600 (modified) woops every f5 ive crossed paths with,and they have the same factory HP(105).the zr is carburated and I have to change the jets every time i go out depending were i am and the temp.I also have an f7 efi snopro and no need for adjustments until i hit 5000 ft. and thats just clutch and gears.But,the 140 horses make all the difference in the world.Go with the f6,it has 118 HP and the efi.Hands down a much better sled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
in defense of the f-5... my brother purchased the f-6 ad me the f-5 in 2005. the sleds are very close in performance with the f-6 having a slightly higher top end. the advantages of the f-5 were; better gas mileage. the factory jetting was spot on, never changed a plug in 4500 miles, [the efi,s tend to be a little on the fat side allowing for engine safety and possibly after market performance stuff.] I would consistantly get 1to2 mpg better than the f-6, both ridden hard. I never re-jetted or adjusted the carbs and road in temps from -20 to +45.., remember the f-5 uses the pipe temp sensor which boosts performance, and helps it run cleaner [the 07 f-6 uses this i think] also the f-5 is 15 lbs lighter [o5 specs, not sure of 06 or 07] .If you keep the sled for many years, you should keep in mind the cost of replacement parts that could fail such as the efi fuel pump [$700] and not to mention the e.c.u. not to say it would happen, but warrantees dont last to long and that stuff is outrageous in price comparred to automotive replacement parts. the final advantage is resale, I believe there is a larger group of potential buyers for a 500 when you go to sell it, some insurance companys rate by the c.c. and some people prefer the smaller engines for women and teens [even though this engine is 105 h.p. they feel safe with a "500" ] now when we purchase our sleds new my 500 was $1000 cheaper than a 600, less of a blow come re-sale . if you are only saving a few hundred bucks, the 600 is more attractive unless you read anything here to change your mind. I ride with 3 other f-6 and an f-7 and each other owner after riding my 500 said "man i coulda bought a 500!" so any way, both sleds are great am im sure you will enjoy which ever one you get!!! jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts