Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride groomed trails in NH. Just trying to get some "real world" numbers on fuel economy and top speed for f5lxr, vs f6 lxr. I am trying to justify extra cost for the f6lxr. This sport is getting expensive. I dont ride extremely aggressively, but still like some peformance. I currently ride a 98ZL 500 which has plenty of performance but is tough on gas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
well i dont have a new f5 lxr but i do have a 2006 saber cat 500 LX and have seen any where from 15-19 mpg, thats taking it really easy, hope that helps, i was thing about the f6 lxr as well but i am going to go for the f8, not to much of a difference in MPG,

·
Registered
367 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jhummel @ Mar 25 2007, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I ride groomed trails in NH. Just trying to get some "real world" numbers on fuel economy and top speed for f5lxr, vs f6 lxr. I am trying to justify extra cost for the f6lxr. This sport is getting expensive. I dont ride extremely aggressively, but still like some peformance. I currently ride a 98ZL 500 which has plenty of performance but is tough on gas.[/b]
I can tell you this much, you can't get a worse sled than a 98 ZR or ZL for gas mileage. AWFUL! I think you'd be more than happy w/the f5lxr.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Been asking questions myself about the F5 LXR. What I've been told here and at a couple dealers is if you try a little you won't have much trouble getting 15, maybe, maybe somtimes up to 17.
As for the F6 I'm no help at all, sorry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am debating the same issue myself. My wife has a 500 Sabercat carb. Good mileage and it really has alot of snap in the old F chassis. I like my CrossFire600 - but no reverse and I am finding I don't really need the longer track and I am looking for more of a trail sled. We checked out the the F5 etc at the show a couple weeks ago and we really like the new F chassis - plus I have a buyer for my CF - time to trade!

Like you I ask the question is the extra worth it for the 600 (especially if buying two) if a guy does mostly groomed trail riding and does not care about top end probably not. The F5 does not have the shock package (ACT IFP) the F6 comes with - but shocks/springs are an easy upgrade for another time. The brochure says the shocks are the twin tube hydraulic but the model at the show did have a RydeFX rear arm shock - so who knows what they'll send out. I'll ride it and see and upgrade if necessary.

I really liked the 500 engine in the SaberCat so hopefully the same results with the new twin spar chassis. Top speed (with the factory speedo) on hard pack was 80 (barely) and that's about all she had in her. I am about a 190 lb rider.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My F5 is running at about 15 mpg Canadian, which is probably 13 US. Other then a stumble right off the line, it runs beautiful. It's about a 70 MPH sled, but will work it's way up to 73-75 if the trail is long enough. Once, when the Gods were with me, it did 77, but never again. Needless to say, it's not a world speed record contender!

The ride FX shocks are good for average trail riding. The hydraulic units on the 08's may be a step down. Keep in mind that HPG gas shocks are usually valved for aggressive big bump riding. If you don't ride that way, they may be a detriment.

I think the F5 is a great deal. If your idea of riding is that it is NOT a race, then why spend the extra bucks on more motor.

Redd

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 07's had a bigger rebate on the 600 and made them fairly close in price. For me was worth it for better suspension, and I didn't get sno pro, just lxr plus a little more engine for those speed burst I occasionally enjoy. I think you would really have to nurse it to get that higher mileage per gallon, but I haven't paid too much attention to gas mileage. Enjoyed the comfort too much to care!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts