Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:trail: LOOKING FOR INPUT ON A NEW SLED FOR A BEGINNER. I HAVE LITTLE EXPERIENCE ON A SLED. I AM LOOKING AT A ARCTIC CAT F570 OR A ARCTIC CAT F6LXR. WHICH SLED WOULD YOU GUYS AND GALS THINK WOULD BE BETTER FOR ME. THANK YOU. TSC :site:

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Either one one of them is a good choice. But its like I tell my kids and the kids in our safety classes it will only go as fast as you make it and the rest will come with experience.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
What about the F5 ? The 570 has 70hp, the 500 has 80, and the 600 has 118. The 570 has electric start, MANUAL shift reverse (oddly enough), but no IRP (adjustable seat and bars) whereas the F5 lxr would give you a liquid cooled motor, the push button reverse, the IRP and be less expensive than going to the 600.
Just another option to consider I guess.
I'm trying to make that descision myslef for our son.....f570 or f5lxr. I can get a leftover 07 F5lxr for $6k plus tax ($6600 for a 08), or order a 08 F570 for $5700 plus tax. Basically the same money......the best price I've found on a 07 F6lxr was $7200 plus tax ($7600 for 08) so enough more to make a difference.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would go with an F5XLR. Less maintenance with the EFI. That in itself is worth the extra for the F5 - believe me - and I don't think anyone would disagree on that point. Also probably quieter and easier on fuel. I did not look at the engine on the F570 at the show but I can only imagine it being very difficult to get to the carbs of the F570 based on how packed in things are on the twin spar chassis

Another factor to consider is that you don't want to put your money down on something and be bored with it and think "gee I should of" We have all been there.

One the thing the F6 has going for it, other than more power, is the better shock package. The F6 has the ACT IFP all the way around. For general trail riding it may not matter all that much and shocks are easy to upgrade later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It really depends on experience level and how much you plan on using it. The 570 motor is the strongest Fan motor out there. Fanners have their pros and cons. If you run alot of slow speeds (small kids, etc.) then the fan motor is nice because there are no cooling issues. If you are doing mostly solo riding, and running with buddies then go bigger.

Fuel use is going to be pretty similar in all these sleds. The 570 will probably be the loudest at higher speeds.

Having gone from a Jag 340, to a Z570, to a Sabercat 700, to a Crossfire 1000 in the last 10 years...as long as you are sensible and not accident prone the 6 will last you longer before you get bored.

Having said that, I did roll a Z570 at 70 mph...at 90 who knows?

I don't think I've helped you at all, but those are some things to consider.

Cheers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Two Stroke: Definitely not the F6. WAY too much power for the inexperienced. I know there are those that say the machine only goes as fast as you want it to, but as a general rule, if you got it, you will use it. There are lots of riders that think they can ride and need the big horsepower, but trust me, even the 570 or F5 is a bit much for most people.

My last machine was a 570. Not a great motor in my opinion. Motor totally destroyed itself at 4000 miles. Cat did some upgrades for 07, but between it and the F5 I have now; no comparison. No difference in power and speed, in fact the old 570 probably had an edge in the old Z Chassis. The F5 is a FAR better running engine. Quieter, smoother and being a liquid, much more consistent. You can still get in over your head. Regardless of what most will tell you, 70 to 80 HP is more then you need and after the bragging and BS stops, more then alot of riders can safely handle.

The F5 is a solid engine. If you read the posts by MikeRider elsewhere in this forum, he has 6400 miles on one with no probelms. That is just for this year. Mike is an extremely experienced rider that puts on MEGA miles. If the F5 is good enough for him, it should be good enough for anyone. Definitely go for the LXR version. Don't even think about the regular machine. The adjustable seat alone, is worth the extra bucks.

If you are thinking of used or leftovers from one or two years back, consider the 370 or 440 fans. They will give you a chance to get some experience under your belt and then you can move up to an F5 the year after. It might be a safer way for you to go; get some experience under your belt before moving up to a more powerful F5.

I can't express to you enough the importance of learning how to ride and ride safely, before you get too much HP under your control. Like I said before, there are alot of Hot Dogs out there who think they are the best riders on the planet, but don't have enough skill to pilot a toboggan, let alone a 120-150 HP snowmobile. Listen to them and you will be picking pine bark out of what is left of your teeth.

Have fun shopping. That's half the fun! Redd

·
Registered
236 Posts
Two Stroke: Chief made some good points. First, he started out on a 340 and second, a 70 HP 570 has enough power to get in over your head with.

One thing I didn't agree with is going bigger to keep up with your riding buddies. If the people you ride with won't slow up a bit to give you a chance to get to know this fantastic sport, you need new riding buddies, because the ones you have are A Holes!!

Redd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.