Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into an F5 for next year. I am looking for a sno-pro model. I am wondering what do they get for mileage, what kind of top speed do they get and what year is better and why? I know in 03 they came w/ 10 tooth drive wheels then got switched to 9 tooth drivers in 04. I think it was o5 when they got the ACT drive system (diamond drive). Just looking for as much input as possible. I want an f5 cause it is as close to a sno-pro 440 I can get with out it being a "race sled" I have learned over the years than I don't need anything bigger for the riding I do and i am pretty sure it will be just as fast as my current sled. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I get 250kms to a tank of fuel taking it easy. But when it's time to go, it's about 160kms or so. the top speed on my sled was 106 mile this year on the radar gun. If you can get the 06 model itis a little better with the 10.4 clutch it gives your about 12kmh more on top end and out of the hole is alot better to. I can keep up with my buddys f7 untill about 140kmh. Then he pulls away but it still makes him sweat a little. You can also gear up these sled they sell the gear sets for the diamond drive. We are gearing my buddys for 134 miles per hour. Also get snopro all the way what a diff from the reg sled.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm getting 12/13 MPG Been battling a top speed issue this year but am finally getting it squared around. Last Sunday saw a top speed on my GPS of 92.8. Betting we could have done better but the belt felt like it was slipping a bit. We are hoping to see a top speed of a bit over 100 MPH this weekend. I like the 03/04 the best out of all the years. Some reason those years just seem to be quicker then the rest

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have an 05 standard f5 and it gets around 12 or sometimes a little less. best gps speed in really nice icy conditions is 101 mph... its a pretty kick ass sled as long as you dont mind giving it imput and leaning into the corners. really i think this sled is superior to 440's for a normal person that doesnt want to spend alot of time messing with their sled.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I absolutly love my 2006 standard. MPG was right about 12 or so. The only top speed run I did was on a long strech of groomed trail that has lots of loose snow on top. ~92mph was what I saw on the speedo. I am sure it would be alot higher in ice/hard pack. Mine was completly stock when I rode it this year, and it preformed quite well. It is a bit rich down low, and therefor a bit bogey our of the hole (going to address this next season with some jetting/clutching changes). What really supprised me was how great it pulled through mid range. 25-70mph is fantastic. My son rides a Polaris xc w/660 big bore (140hp) and I let him ride mine for a while on our last trip to the UP, he said that it pulled almost the same as his through midrange. I rode his in turn, and I cant say the F5 was as fast, but it's close. You will love it!!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I just picked up a standard 04 F5 today with 1622 miles on it for $2700.00 (low book is $3200.00) It's in great shape & been cared for- We're getting really low on snow (it poured on the way home) so hoping to get 1 "test" ride in tomorrow. I had an 01 440 CC snopro and that was a blast to ride so from what I've read in this thread they handle about the same??? I'm calling a dealer on Monday to see about getting the steering update done as it doesn't look like the ones pictured (THANKS for posting those :thumbsup: ), guess the tank one was done (anyone got more details/ pics of what that should be)?? I'm new to this chassis so any updates or problems occuring information is greatly appreciated!! What can I get out of it by changing/doing different things to it (4th wheel kit, suspension)? Thanks for any info, -- Greg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Top speed 98 mph really hardpack snow......MPG about 10 if I'm really on it as good as 14 with the wife driving it....03 F5 standard....only issuen I've had is the inside boggie wheels getting chewed up at around 1600 miles......Keep an eye on the power valves if they become unhooked your sled will run like ****......Other than that they are awesum sleds.....I run 102 studs with the shaper duece bar only put 6" carbides on I should have gone with the 7.5" Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts