Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new sled last Friday. Snow is very limited in Central Ontario, Canada, so only have 8 miles on my F5 LXR at this time. I love the ergonomics. The seating position is the main reason I bought this sled. Have not rode enough to really form an opinion, other than the motor is a bit louder then I would have liked.

I have spent more time in the garage fiddling with the various removable hood and side panel covers and becoming familiar with my new sled. When it comes right down to it, the removable dash is a pretty stupid idea. I hope I never have to tactle that out on the trail. I suppose the more I do it the easier it will get, but with a little thought, I am sure the whole top of the hood and dash could have been opened on a hinge. At the very least, if they had mounted the male end of the main electrical connector to the chassis, you could of disconnected it with one hand while holding up the dash with the other.

As mentioned by others, the clutch cover is a real work of engineering genius as well.

But no sense whining. I am sure once I log on a few miles, the many positive attributes will outshine the negative. I am praying for more snow.

Redd

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Redd @ Jan 17 2007, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Picked up my new sled last Friday. Snow is very limited in Central Ontario, Canada, so only have 8 miles on my F5 LXR at this time. I love the ergonomics. The seating position is the main reason I bought this sled. Have not rode enough to really form an opinion, other than the motor is a bit louder then I would have liked.

I have spent more time in the garage fiddling with the various removable hood and side panel covers and becoming familiar with my new sled. When it comes right down to it, the removable dash is a pretty stupid idea. I hope I never have to tactle that out on the trail. I suppose the more I do it the easier it will get, but with a little thought, I am sure the whole top of the hood and dash could have been opened on a hinge. At the very least, if they had mounted the male end of the main electrical connector to the chassis, you could of disconnected it with one hand while holding up the dash with the other.

As mentioned by others, the clutch cover is a real work of engineering genius as well.

But no sense whining. I am sure once I log on a few miles, the many positive attributes will outshine the negative. I am praying for more snow.

Redd[/b]
I did pretty much the same thing when I got my sled home.

The removable dash thing was a concern for me to, but after being in the military for 4 years, I learned that repetition is sometimes the way to get familiar with something, so I broke my sled down about 15 times until I was satisfied that I would be able to do it out on the trail at night.

I can now disassemble it and toss it back together pretty quick.

I am curious how you like the 500, if I hear good reports this year about it, we may get one next year and trade in our REV.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your absolutely right. Practice makes perfect. I do have concerns about that connector. How many times can you plug and unplug before it gets messed up?

I will keep you posted on the 500 motor. Too early for an opinion yet.

Has anyone else had problems operating that small reverse button with gloves on?

Redd

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Redd @ Jan 17 2007, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Your absolutely right. Practice makes perfect. I do have concerns about that connector. How many times can you plug and unplug before it gets messed up?

I will keep you posted on the 500 motor. Too early for an opinion yet.

Has anyone else had problems operating that small reverse button with gloves on?

Redd[/b]
Yeah, that can be a bit of a problem as your finger really needs to be able to push the button all the way in once the idle drops down for the switch to work.
I have pressed the button and not pushed it in all the way a few times.
I was riding the other day with just a pair of mechanics gloves on and still had to make sure I pushed the button in all the way, good point.
I guess maybe cat wanted to make sure we don't accidentally push it in?
Perhaps a small piece of rubber or plastic could be glued on top on the button so that it stands out a bit further?
I do prefer this reverse to our doos as the motor has to shut down and restart on the doo.
I will look at mine closer this afternoon, might have to make some tracks when I get home from work.... ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I generally ride with just mechanic type gloves on, but not getting the wind protection I was on last sled so I may have to change that. One idea I had was the hook that comes on some gloves(by your wrist) - you could use one hand to hold it and push the button. Dunno, would have to try it and see what I come up with.
Did you use the factory tool kit to remove the headlight pod? I don't know how I would get that screwdriver handle in there due to the windshield. Was going to just buy a cheap 1/4" ratchet and torx bit to carry in tool kit. When I get the screws out, I usually tilt it forward pivoting on the front bar while I unhook the harness. As long as you don't rush too much to plug it back in, you shouldn't have to worry about bending one of those pins.
My complaint was the hi/low beam button. With the handlebars tilted to a comfortable position for me, its way on the bottom. Kept fumbling with the thing while I was riding.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Davzkny1: You only have to take out the 2 screws closest to the handlebar to remove the head light pod. Those 2 in close to the windshield can stay fastened. I'm not sure what they are for. Possibly to access the lightbulbs.

I agree with you on the hi/low beam button. I had trouble finding it as well. With time I think it will become more natural. We will all come up with ways to deal with Arctic Cats lack of understanding regarding the Human anatomy.

The one thing they did get right was the seating position. I find it very comfortable. No more cramping in the back and hips. it does stick you up in the breeze alot more. I am hopeful they will come up with a nice looking high accessory windshield. We like to call them Green Houses. Get that sucker up there tall enough and make it so warm, that you can grow vegetables behind it.

Redd

·
Registered
415 Posts
are there screws that rotate the high/low beams and warmer switches? that plastic piece on the handle bar i think rotates up if you loosen it, or it does on my crossfire. luckily my reverse button sticks out not in, like some others, i guess i got lucky?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts