Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because no company wants to kill anybody.... how many deaths do you think you would see in 1 year if people would have sleds going 150 mph right out of the show room. come on and look at the crashes that are happening already.
if these sleds went that fast. they would go pretty dam fast to a 100 even more, don't you think. all companys are just trying to stay some what safe and keep up with each other. i sure don't want anyone coming at me or my friends doing 150 do you. think about it Frank
p.s. consider your self lucky. here in new hampshire there is a 45 mph speed limit and thats why i go to maine

Attachments

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
to get a sled to "really" do 120+ its super hard.. I don't believe most guys saying their sled does even 118 or so.. maybe some on ice, and perfect days.. but 99.9% of the sleds won't do 115 or so.. really in this case I think it is weight, design and the ACT drive..

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I don't care if my F8 doesn't do 120mph. I don't need to go that fast, and the speed limit on the trails I ride is 50KPH anyways, so since the sled does everything I need it to do and still has power to spare I love it.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Hello everyone..

Just had to add my two cents on this subject... A good friend of mine AND his dealer went out on a frozen river a couple weeks ago up in Canada. With a stock F1000 and 170 studs on the track he did two top end runs. 120 and 121mph on the second pass. This all recorded on GPS!!! That machine has about 500 miles on it. The dealer ran 117mph with only 70 miles on his F1000 with same studs. Another F1000 with a little clutchwork, `bullseyes' and a Y pipe ran 125mph on GPS!.

We're all ready there with these speeds, they are REAL..!

The digital speedo (we KNOW Arctic Cats are very much on the money) was only .2 mph off at on those runs.

Remember the early test of a T660 in American Snowmobile? Digital read 115mph, the radar showed 114.5mph! Thats closer then most autos get it.

With that, I say the F1000 are VERY impressive and running like 165 hp. should and the digital speedometers on these new Cats are very true...

....TM

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tigerman150 @ Mar 14 2007, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello everyone..

Just had to add my two cents on this subject... A good friend of mine AND his dealer went out on a frozen river a couple weeks ago up in Canada. With a stock F1000 and 170 studs on the track he did two top end runs. 120 and 121mph on the second pass. This all recorded on GPS!!! That machine has about 500 miles on it. The dealer ran 117mph with only 70 miles on his F1000 with same studs. Another F1000 with a little clutchwork, `bullseyes' and a Y pipe ran 125mph on GPS!.

We're all ready there with these speeds, they are REAL..!

The digital speedo (we KNOW Arctic Cats are very much on the money) was only .2 mph off at on those runs.

Remember the early test of a T660 in American Snowmobile? Digital read 115mph, the radar showed 114.5mph! Thats closer then most autos get it.

With that, I say the F1000 are VERY impressive and running like 165 hp. should and the digital speedometers on these new Cats are very true...

....TM[/b]
bring em up to maine where I ride and see what they run there.. must be a 10 mph loss in maine then... lol

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ODS Dan @ Mar 14 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
to get a sled to "really" do 120+ its super hard.. I don't believe most guys saying their sled does even 118 or so.. maybe some on ice, and perfect days.. but 99.9% of the sleds won't do 115 or so.. really in this case I think it is weight, design and the ACT drive..[/b]
hey dan. from what i know about 2 stroke motors it seams to me that these new motors will rev alot more than they are let to. if they are balanced better and feed more fuel and air these bitches will fly. i don't think they red line at 7600 rpm's one day i'll build one of these bitches and make it rock. sh%%6t my 454 chevy motor runs good at 8000 rpm's and will go higher if i let it. so i would say these things will rev if blue printed. but people don't see it that way.
people want a sled to go 150 stock. yea right. thats what the performance company make there money at. just like drag racing. if you want a faster one build it. thats it. yea the act drive does take some away. just like a gear drive on a chevy motor. crap. thats why they have belt drive in race car motors. the act drive is ok in my book tho. less parts to break. anyway have a good one dan.
Frank

·
Registered
70 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ODS Dan @ Mar 14 2007, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
to get a sled to "really" do 120+ its super hard.. I don't believe most guys saying their sled does even 118 or so.. maybe some on ice, and perfect days.. but 99.9% of the sleds won't do 115 or so.. really in this case I think it is weight, design and the ACT drive..[/b]

Dan, I don't know about the whole 120+ thing but I agree with you 100% on the "I think it is weight, design and the ACT drive.." comment. I have an F6 and am very displeased with the performance. The 600 motor has been out for a while and has been proven a very strong runner. I know my 04' was a ripper! Now, throw the ACT and some weight at it and it's like riding a un-valved 500. HELP!

·
Registered
121 Posts
There are a fair number of F8's and F1000's out here that will not run good on top. AC knows this otherwise they would never have released the "2007 F Top End Performance Tips", on Feb 19. There are very strong 1000's and 800's right out of the box, but there are also 1000's that perform like mediocre 800's and 800's that perform like 600's. Can't be the chassis or they'd all be slow. Don't believe its the Suzuki mill either. I think it's in the programming, sensors, fuel pressure tolerances or maybe even injectors on the fat side of their symbol designation. If you have a strong one, be happy, hell I'm happy for you, just don't believe the rest of us are full of ****.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I never siad everybody that is complaing about the F10 or 8 or whatever F sled they have is full of ****. I just wanted to add that my F8 does what I need it to do and I am very happy with it is all. I do feel bad for the guys out there that have dropped that much money on these sleds and it doesn't perform well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ Mar 15 2007, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I never siad everybody that is complaing about the F10 or 8 or whatever F sled they have is full of ****. I just wanted to add that my F8 does what I need it to do and I am very happy with it is all. I do feel bad for the guys out there that have dropped that much money on these sleds and it doesn't perform well.[/b]
Sorry Houleigan, I didn't mean to imply I was referring to you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catf1000s/p @ Mar 14 2007, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
because no company wants to kill anybody.... how many deaths do you think you would see in 1 year if people would have sleds going 150 mph right out of the show room. come on and look at the crashes that are happening already.
if these sleds went that fast. they would go pretty dam fast to a 100 even more, don't you think. all companys are just trying to stay some what safe and keep up with each other. i sure don't want anyone coming at me or my friends doing 150 do you. think about it Frank
p.s. consider your self lucky. here in new hampshire there is a 45 mph speed limit and thats why i go to maine[/b]
Yea right! Like cat wants to have the slowest 1000 because speed kills thats stupid.Chevy tried that with the Vette, remember the 80's now look at them. speed,handeling and comfort sell snowmobiles.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ODS Dan @ Mar 14 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
to get a sled to "really" do 120+ its super hard.. I don't believe most guys saying their sled does even 118 or so.. maybe some on ice, and perfect days.. but 99.9% of the sleds won't do 115 or so..[/b]
They'll never believe you Dan, don't waste your time,, do you know how many '06 Polaris 600 fusions go 115+ mph?? (you'd **** if i told you how many claim that)slaphappy (i've personally proven otherwise to a lot of them)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Mar 15 2007, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ODS Dan @ Mar 14 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to get a sled to "really" do 120+ its super hard.. I don't believe most guys saying their sled does even 118 or so.. maybe some on ice, and perfect days.. but 99.9% of the sleds won't do 115 or so..[/b]
They'll never believe you Dan, don't waste your time,, do you know how many '06 Polaris 600 fusions go 115+ mph?? (you'd **** if i told you how many claim that)slaphappy (i've personally proven otherwise to a lot of them)
[/b][/quote]
C'm on Rusty, it's the truth. I was at a gas station and a guy pulled up on his XC700 to fill up. A guy in a car asked how fast his sled goes and he told him, "I just had it up to 130 MPH on the road here." I believed him...

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (looneytune @ Mar 15 2007, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Mar 15 2007, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ODS Dan @ Mar 14 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
C'm on Rusty, it's the truth. I was at a gas station and a guy pulled up on his XC700 to fill up. A guy in a car asked how fast his sled goes and he told him, "I just had it up to 130 MPH on the road here." I believed him...
[/b][/quote]
slaphappy slaphappy slaphappy slaphappy Give me a call at work Bill (or do you want me to dial?,,it's slower than heck today) bang your head

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unless your running well over 8,000 rpm I can't see how you can expect to see speeds much above 110 mph. unless a gear change is made! The stock ratio wouldn't allow it! F1000,F8 F6 They are all geared the same the bigger engines will get you there faster!

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catbax @ Mar 15 2007, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Unless your running well over 8,000 rpm I can't see how you can expect to see speeds much above 110 mph. unless a gear change is made! The stock ratio wouldn't allow it![/b]
1104 poo belt, 68.5 gr [email protected]'s = 108-113 on a consistant basis depending on surface conditions (personally, I think 7750-7800 would've gotten there quicker and possibly another 1-2 mph myself, but did what the customer/friend wanted I dunno)

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
EDIT: nicer way to say that not all dd sleds are geared the same

2007 gearing...................rpm............mph at .8:1........MPH at .7:1
F6........60/60..................8200................109...................125
F8........62/58..................7900................113...................129
F1000..66/54..................7350................120...................137

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is no bull.I have had my 2005 ZR9 carbed with Speedwerx head 10.4 sheeves SLP single pipe Boysen reeds Bikeman clutch kit 1 inch track and it was GPS at 122 mph 5 times last year and this year on Back lake with no snow on the lake.
So there is some Diamond Drives out there that do run very good on top end.
Now my old 2004 ZR9 all I can get out of it was 107 mph.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The top end issue with this years F's is absolutely not caused by the DD gear case!!! Getting sick of hearing the crap about it!! That case is reducing an enormous amount of friction compared to a chain case design. Don't believe it? Just raise the ass of the sled, belt removed, track properly tensioned and aligned, and spin the track by hand. Do this with a chain cased sled nearby to compare and with the tracks warmed up if you can. You will find that the DD sled spins a whole lot easier than the chain case design and the track will actually coast to a stop in some cases when hand spun. You will never see that with any production chain case set up period. So why would you think the DD case is robbing top end??? The culprit, in part, goes to the bumm secondary clutch that is being used. Remember the update to the 10.4 diameter from the 10.0 diameter last year for the Firecats. That change helped quite a bit if you knew what to to with it, but they need more. I believe the old reverse cam driven was at 10.6 and they should get back to at least there. The tight radius the belt had to turn at shift out on the 10.0 slipped the belt bad and killed top end. The 10.4 helped but not all the way. It needs more diameter to reduce the radius the belt has to turn at shift out and to increase the contact patch of the belt to clutch which will reduce the slippage. To much secondary spring tension and light tipped weights did not help it either for guys running stock.

Other reasons? If you are only relying on your dealer to have it set up correctly, think again. Many dealers pop on the skiis, windshield, set the handle bars, tension the track, put oil and gas in, start it up, and thats the way you get it. Throttle and oil pump not set correctly, clutches and belt tension off, skiis not aligned, and the end result is? It don't run!!! This is not to say that there are not dealers out there who do it right, there are; but, many don't!!!!!! Why? It takes time. Learn how to do it your self and you'll be a whole lot better off.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts