Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sled was awesome all winter. I did not take it in yet to get the ECU Flash. Like alot of us on here my sled is backfireing on shutdown around 2 out of 10 times. I hope this will help that. As well as my melting panel. I was told by my dealer they are going to replace it with a new version they are working on. Maybe it will be made of metal lol.
Anyways twice this winter I had a hard time starting my sled. It usually takes 2 to 3 pulls when cold and 1 to 2 when warm. Once after a long ride the next morn at -6C it took forever to start. Did not even sound like it was firing. Finally after holding in the throttle a few times it finally fired up and was fine for a week or two then it happened again this time after it had sat in my shed for a week. Any ideas on that?
It only has 650miles on it and no flash as mentioned.
I will be taking it in this week for the flash and some minor issues this week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACTMAN06 @ Mar 22 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My sled was awesome all winter. I did not take it in yet to get the ECU Flash. Like alot of us on here my sled is backfireing on shutdown around 2 out of 10 times. I hope this will help that. As well as my melting panel. I was told by my dealer they are going to replace it with a new version they are working on. Maybe it will be made of metal lol.
Anyways twice this winter I had a hard time starting my sled. It usually takes 2 to 3 pulls when cold and 1 to 2 when warm. Once after a long ride the next morn at -6C it took forever to start. Did not even sound like it was firing. Finally after holding in the throttle a few times it finally fired up and was fine for a week or two then it happened again this time after it had sat in my shed for a week. Any ideas on that?
I will be taking it in this week for the flash and some minor issues this week.[/b]
As a matter of fact, I do have a suggestion. Same thing happened to mine, started fine all day, in the morning no fire whatsoever. Took it to dealer, come to find out these things are way sensitive to any water in the gas. Put some dry gas in it and let it sit for a day and try again. Apparently any water, and they won't start. I was advised to run a bottle of dry gas through every tank. If it won't start, hook some alligator clips to the fuel pump plug with 12 volts and give it a quick shot of fuel, mine started first pull after that and ran fine the rest of the day. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACTMAN06 @ Mar 22 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I will be taking it in this week for the flash and some minor issues this week.[/b]
as for the back firing
you have to run the motor longer after a run down the trail.
you have to burn the extra fuel that is in the motor before you shut it off.
you have to let the motor get back to 2000 rpm's before killing the motor.
and it will never back fire.
and it will start much better.
first pull.
as for starting cold.
it takes a lot of fuel to start the motor because its a big motor.
when its like 5 degrees it starts harder. it takes a few pulls just to get it turning over.
when cold you can't pull it over fast enough to make enough volts to get the pump to go on.
when warm. it starts better when you give it a little throttle because it lets more air in the motor to go with the unburned fuel. hope this helps
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey ACTMAN06,

My sled did the same thing on my last weekend out. At about 800 miles, I went for a full day ride and the next morning at about -5C, it wouldn't start without my buddy holding on to the throttle half way, then it started the second pull. A few times this winter when the sled was warm after stopping, I had to hold the throttle slightly to get it started. Not bad when the motor's warm, but when its cold damn impossible to crank that thing with one hand bang your head .
My sled also doesn't have the ECU update and does backfire when stopping at the same rate as yours. Kinda weird. Hopefully it'll get better with the re-mapping.

Another thing my sled started doing at the end of the season, when I hit it 3/4 to full throttle, the RPM's would ramp up to 7400 for about 1/2 a second and then drop down to 6000 :angry_mad: . The thing wouldn't go past 80MPH. It was OK for bush trail ridding, but when I got to a field or road, it was hell. Pretty embarassing being passed by a Vector in the field. I'll get the dealer to fix it under warranty (hopefully) when I bring it to him for summer storage. Just wondering if it did it to anybody else. Everything looks fine around the clutch and it has a new belt (other on blew at 600 miles.. surrend ) I dunno .

I also never found out the top speed of the sled, didn't get a chance to take it out on a lake. The fastest I went with it was on a road at 100MPH. Looking forward to finding it next year :chug: .

Apart from my slow weekend ending my season, I love the sled for its handling, looks, and power, don't regret buying it one bit. Might look at ways to get it on a diet next year, with all those new lightweight sleds coming out.

Steph

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. I just took it in to the dealer today. I will get the updates and go from there. The dealer had the same problems as me on his sled so he is not sure what will fix the starting issues . I have a 1978
Scorpion Whip and its so funny to see it fire up after sitting for two years and I can't start the F1000 !!!!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
My F1000 acts the same way as described in above posts, and I HAVE had the ECU update done. Still random starting probs (too much fuel and/or too low an idle) and finally melted the right lower side panel – inside was PERFECT, but outside melted pretty good including a nice 1/2" hole right through the plastic. – Roy

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Mar 24 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My F1000 acts the same way as described in above posts, and I HAVE had the ECU update done. Still random starting probs (too much fuel and/or too low an idle) and finally melted the right lower side panel – inside was PERFECT, but outside melted pretty good including a nice 1/2" hole right through the plastic. – Roy[/b]
the pan has no deflector in front of the pipe.
look at the older sleds.
they all have wind deflectors in front of where the pipe comes out

·
Registered
224 Posts
They are progrmmed WAY TOO RICH!! Of all the Cats our family has had the 07 F's are the worst programmed efi sled to date!! The F1000 (my brothers) is the richest pig of them all. Thus the "reflash". Cat was way to safe on the 2007 sleds, the 8's and 1000 motors. The reason some of you guys are getting the melt job on your side panels and all the back firing is all the unburned fuel in you pipe and can. Can you imagine if these things ran less fuel and more air the way it should be?

Anyways... just my ranting... Love the sled though!!

Scotty

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Funny thing, I had the reflash done at about 1300 miles. Have put another 700 or so on since. I always let her idle down to 1700-1900 rpms and let the excess fuel burn before shutting her down. Still backfires 3-10 times.

As for starting, that happened once to me. I discovered that when its cold out, Keep the kill switch off and pull her over several times. Then turn on the kill switch, keep one thumb on the throttle, and she always fired in 3-4 pulls. I needed to throttle it a little though. When its cold, turning the kill switch on, and trying to start it might just flood it out. So a couple of pulls to free things up a little while off goes a long way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts