Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
what did you all do when you rebuilt it last time? new cylinders? did you just replace pistons? why did it burn down last time?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first time the piston ring caught the exhaust port breaking the piston in 2 and bending the crank 3/8 of an inch. Crank was sent out to be trued changed one cylinder,and both pistons.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Trust me, it didn't catch the port.
Your problem is the exhaust valve hooked it, caused damage then it got caught up in the port.

To remedy you much install, a second upper + lower exhaust valve gasket. Reset cables to spec, done.
I just went through this with a buddy's sled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now do you believe me it caught the exhaust port. But can someone tell me why the locking pin gets pushed in and the ring moves around? to much heat? oem's are crap? what is it

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
When you pull it back down, align up the valve with the left / right lines in the piston, my moneys on it matches up to the outter edges of the valve.
Countless guys were told the same thing back in the day when ZR 800-900s (500's as well) would without reason, one day just catch the exhaust port and smash a piston.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Yes, won't physically drop in the other way.
I just started a thread over on HCS about new info on power valves hitting the pistons on the 600 to 1000 lay down engine. Buddy had just rebuilt his, 100 miles later it had marks consistent with contact from both outter edges of the valves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts