Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a brief mentionof this under "Issues", but thought it might be worth a topic of it's own:

Is anybody disappointed with their top-end speeds? We have two new F6's and they top out between 89 and 92 mph. We checked this against a GPS and it's very close to accurate. I guess I can live with that, but it seems there should be more. I'm not a huge tinkerer, so maybe it needs a professional look?

Makes me long for the old '98 case reed 500ZL that hit 102!

·
Registered
76 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (from the ZL Zone @ Jan 29 2007, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I made a brief mentionof this under "Issues", but thought it might be worth a topic of it's own:

Is anybody disappointed with their top-end speeds? We have two new F6's and they top out between 89 and 92 mph. We checked this against a GPS and it's very close to accurate. I guess I can live with that, but it seems there should be more. I'm not a huge tinkerer, so maybe it needs a professional look?

Makes me long for the old '98 case reed 500ZL that hit 102![/b]
dont feel bad my new f1000 has hit a whopping 95 mph! so i would say your doing quite well with the 6.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have to admit I have no complaints. I was just up and rode my F8 for the very first time. The power was amazing and I was very happy with the top end. I did not open her up yet because I want break in to be a little gentle. I had it up to 98mph and it was still climing with no problem. Sorry to hear about your F1 not pushing the 100mph mark. I am sure it will loosen up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
These sleds gain good power with a clutch kit......

The F1000 can pick up real good power with a kit. There is a post below on this topic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("RPM @ Jan 29 2007, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
These sleds gain good power with a clutch kit......

The F1000 can pick up real good power with a kit. There is a post below on this topic.[/b]
i spent 11000$ US for this sled and now i need to spend another 400-500 to make it right?

·
Registered
412 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flamin @ Jan 29 2007, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (from the ZL Zone @ Jan 29 2007, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Makes me long for the old '98 case reed 500ZL that hit 102![/b]
dont feel bad my new f1000 has hit a whopping 95 mph! so i would say your doing quite well with the 6.
[/b][/quote]
Flamin'fury, I feel your pain bud. I've had mine (F1000) at a max 97 mph so far. Not down a road or down a lake, but on our local airstrip for a pretty good distance, minimal loose snow. Was hoping and expecting more than that, with over 500 miles on my bone stock sled. Also, could NOT catch and pass THREE F7's and a 700 Sabercat either. One of the F7's was my old one too. Gonna' start a topic later tonight on this weekend. NOT very happy at this point. – Roy

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Jan 29 2007, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Flamin'fury, I feel your pain bud. I've had mine (F1000) at a max 97 mph so far. Not down a road or down a lake, but on our local airstrip for a pretty good distance, minimal loose snow. Was hoping and expecting more than that, with over 500 miles on my bone stock sled. Also, could NOT catch and pass THREE F7's and a 700 Sabercat either. One of the F7's was my old one too. Gonna' start a topic later tonight on this weekend. NOT very happy at this point. – Roy[/b]
Roy -

What are you pulling for RPM's and are you seeing full shift? Did you do the old felt marker trick on your sheaves? Just curious if it's not in the clutching right now I dunno My F8 pulled to 103 pretty quick and would've gone higher had I kept on the gas ... but had to slow down due to the upcoming trees. Hopefully this weekend I can dig in some more and see what she's doing with the stock clutching. I ran it the other night on the local pond and was over-reving big time ... almost 8100RPM.

My biggest concern is this "notorious" 70mph - 90mph dead spot I've been reading about. Supposedly the DD will slip (why it happens in this particular area, I don't know), and the chain drive sleds will go right by.

It's a never-ending learning process with these new sleds, that's for sure.

Good luck with your tinkering & I hope you find something very simple to cure your woes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks Labonte. I'll start a thread later tonight and post both here and on HCS (like I usually do) with as many details as possible. – Roy

·
Registered
13 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Jan 29 2007, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Jan 29 2007, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flamin'fury, I feel your pain bud. I've had mine (F1000) at a max 97 mph so far. Not down a road or down a lake, but on our local airstrip for a pretty good distance, minimal loose snow. Was hoping and expecting more than that, with over 500 miles on my bone stock sled. Also, could NOT catch and pass THREE F7's and a 700 Sabercat either. One of the F7's was my old one too. Gonna' start a topic later tonight on this weekend. NOT very happy at this point. – Roy[/b]
Roy -

What are you pulling for RPM's and are you seeing full shift? Did you do the old felt marker trick on your sheaves? Just curious if it's not in the clutching right now I dunno
[/b][/quote]

LabonteF8~
What is the ol' felt maker trick? I'm pulling 7800 RPM's and a whopping 95 MPH! It's sad when my '00 Polaris 700 with 7000 miles on it has longer legs across the lake!!!

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Mark your clutch sheaves, and as the belt shifts out it should wear the mark off the sheave. Obviously you want to see a full shift out.

Edit: Just to make sure I put it in here (assuming most already know) - you are marking the primary, not the secondary.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In late Dec. and the 1st ride of the season in 35F weather with 0 miles my F8 would do 95 on a wide open trail (77) or so 2 weekends ago with now 400 miles on it was pulling (very slowly) away from my buddys Apex (on the lake) he said he was at 105mph and it had some more in it, best I could see I was a little over that at maybe 107-108 pushing to 110 and we ran out of room it was 10F that night. They like the cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, I have an F8 Sno Pro Tony Stuart addition, and I am sick to my stomach at how slow this dam thing is. All the hype about this sled, and how it will blow past the competition makes me sick. I can't even brake the 100 mph on a consistant basiss. My buddies 600 Rev SDI, which is the slower model stays right with me. I manage to get 95 mph on good conditions.

I have had numerous sleds in the past, and they all did 115 MPH or better. My old F7 would leave this thing in the dust. I have heard numerous complaints through the dealership how slow these things are. Here is a good one! My dealer says they are real tight and they need some miles on them before they loosen up....LOL I have 400 miles of hard riding on mine, if it's not loose by know it never will be.

Artic cat should be a shame to have these things on the market, I am the joke of all my friends who own ski doos, by far the slowest sled I have ever owned........I guarantee I will not be on this thing next year

Anybody want a good deal on an F8??????

·
Registered
460 Posts
I guess I'm glad I bought the F6!! It is slower then my Sabercat 600's but I have seen 92mph out of it. It might have a little more but I was out of room!!

My Saber's would always do 94-96mph and even seen 101mph once.

But once I rode the new chassis, I could care less about top end, on the trails or in the rough I leave my buddies New Rev & New Nytro in the dust. That's where it counts for me!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hollywood 007 @ Jan 29 2007, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey guys, I have an F8 Sno Pro Tony Stuart addition, and I am sick to my stomach at how slow this dam thing is. All the hype about this sled, and how it will blow past the competition makes me sick. I can't even brake the 100 mph on a consistant basiss. My buddies 600 Rev SDI, which is the slower model stays right with me. I manage to get 95 mph on good conditions.

I have had numerous sleds in the past, and they all did 115 MPH or better. My old F7 would leave this thing in the dust. I have heard numerous complaints through the dealership how slow these things are. Here is a good one! My dealer says they are real tight and they need some miles on them before they loosen up....LOL I have 400 miles of hard riding on mine, if it's not loose by know it never will be.

Artic cat should be a shame to have these things on the market, I am the joke of all my friends who own ski doos, by far the slowest sled I have ever owned........I guarantee I will not be on this thing next year

Anybody want a good deal on an F8??????[/b]
I thought the same as you at 1st but now with more miles on it plus I added the speedwerx Hi-flow air I feel different. Can't beet the ride

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuskegoCat @ Jan 29 2007, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In late Dec. and the 1st ride of the season in 35F weather with 0 miles my F8 would do 95 on a wide open trail (77) or so 2 weekends ago with now 400 miles on it was pulling (very slowly) away from my buddys Apex (on the lake) he said he was at 105mph and it had some more in it, best I could see I was a little over that at maybe 107-108 pushing to 110 and we ran out of room it was 10F that night. They like the cold.[/b]
they like it cold because its fat at low end and fat top end and if you guys don't have 500 miles on your sleds your not seing the power yet

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts