Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I guess since I was fortunate enough to find snow, and ride the new machine, the least I could do is give my honest impression of my new F-8 SP since I have really enjoyed the other posts. I have to admit that even though we have four green sleds in the stable, I have really respected the fit and finish of past yammi’s and the ride and feel of my buddy’s revs. I traded my 05 F-7 std in for the F-8 so this is really all that I have to compare it to. I snow checked the sled in the spring and it was built in late November. At this point the sled is dead stock.
I read a lot about the new suspension. Wasn’t sure I really wanted the snow pro since I am smaller and mostly trail ride, but when the wife and kids aren’t along, we like to get with it on the trails. The front shocks came with about 75 lbs in them so this is where I left them. At first I noticed the frame felt solid and the cornering was very flat. Under acceleration there was no ski lift like on the F-7. We turned onto a trail that had mega moguls, so I jumped out in front of the group and let it rip. Guys I gotta tell ya, I can’t believe how this thing absorbed the bumps and how amazingly stable this thing is. This machine runs as strait as an arrow in big bumps with no effort! On the smooth trails (yes they did exist) the snow pro seemed as gentle as my old std., so I won’t ever own anything other than a snow pro in the future. I would say that arguably, this suspension is second to none. (No offense to anyone) The handlebars loosened a few times while on the trail, so I just loosened the clamp, turned it one time and problem solved. Fuel and oil consumption seemed great. Can’t give you numbers (my bad) but used less gas and oil than anyone else in our group. (The F-7 seemed to drink oil.) Engine is just as easy to pull start as the F-7. Engine idled nicely and ran really smooth; however at times the recoil handle rattled and was noisy at idle. The reverse is great. Locks in solid, worked every time. Although I’m not a big fan of the plastic, I added Artic Fx’s spar stickers, and imo it greatly enhances the looks of the sled. Another nice feature no one has mentioned is the adjustable headlights. I thought the factory had the lights set a little high for my liking, so with a few turns of the adjustment knobs you can tailor your lights to your riding style while on the trail. Power seemed great, and it does pull hard, but can’t honestly say there is a huge difference from the F-7. But it’s not even close to being broke in and I was running premix for break in, so the power should only get better. For my preference, I’m going to add studs and at least put shaper bars on or change skis. As I mentioned before, the sled turns flat, but in the fluff, I would like to get a little more power to the ground, and I did notice just a bit of push.
Other than the fit of the hood (and mine wasn’t as bad as most) I think Cat has done a nice job with fit and finish. The ride is awesome, and I personally like the looks of the sled now. As far as improvements go, I think we need a factory belt holder, a tool to spread the driven, and the clutch cover tweaked. I’m not crazy about carrying a strap wrench with me in case the belt needs changed.
Overall I couldn’t be happier. I feel for those who may have had some issues with the 07’s, but for me, my first ride couldn’t have been better. For any of you that are on the fence, and struggling to trade your firecat or any other sled for that matter, I can just say I won’t ever look back. No comparison. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks for the report! DAMN the more I here these reports of AC building a killer chassis and the fact that it hands down far better then the F7 makes me want to pony up for a new F8 or F10, BUT....... this snow situation really sucks and the fact that the cost of these sled seems to be going up faster then gas prices. Guess I will have to ride one to make pay up sucka! :super_happy:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Really nice report Skeboy – thanks!

As far as the driven clutch and belt removal, you don't HAVE to carry any extra tools if you don't want to. Simply remove driven bolt and aluminum cap (twists out by hand) and do one of the following:

1. Simply turn the aluminun cap around, re-install it, and tighten up the driven bolt, which will spread open the sheaves.

2. Or, take the rubber o-ring and deflection washers off the aluminum cap, re-install it, and tighten up the driven bolt, which will spread open the sheaves.

As far as the belt guard/cover, here's what I did:

‘07 F-Series Belt Guard Removal

OK, I finally got around to messing with my F1000 belt guard tonight. No doubt, a real pain in the ass, and I really don't want to have to get out a screwdriver to get the damn thing off, so here's my handy dandy fix.

First off, take some medium sandpaper and sand down all the (crude) edges on the belt guard to make it a little easier on the hands.

Next grind down the outside (PTO side) of the mounting pin on the front of the clutch guard. I went little by little, and ended up actually grinding the pin down to half the size it was before. Started out 1/4" and now it's 1/8" but I don't think you want to go any less than that. It will still hold securely in place but is much, MUCH easier to remove without having to resort to any kind of tools!

Next, looking at the riveted "clamp" at the back of the clutch guard, grind down the edge that's facing upwards. Take off about 1/16" or so, and then grind down both corners of that same edge, so they're much larger radius corners. This will make it MUCH easier to get the "clamp" into its holding slot, without fighting the corners and the top of the "clamp."

Lastly, put a dab of some kind of lube on both sides of the mounting pin on the front of the belt guard.

There, hope this helps make the belt guard removal MUCH easier for some of you! – Roy

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snopropickle @ Jan 5 2007, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the report! DAMN the more I here these reports of AC building a killer chassis and the fact that it hands down far better then the F7 makes me want to pony up for a new F8 or F10, BUT....... this snow situation really sucks and the fact that the cost of these sled seems to be going up faster then gas prices. Guess I will have to ride one to make pay up sucka! :super_happy:[/b]

Snopropickle, you and I think alike. On the fence and no snow. I held off on the Spring order to get the report and wait until 08. So, I sold by ZL and a bought a new 04 Pantera 800 for the wife. She is very happy! We got in 250 miles over the holidays and I was amazed how many new F machines were on the trail in the UP.

Not that I'm not happy with my SC7...I love this machine. But the new F is better! I am convinced!

Damn, if we get snow I am going to do it! :D :super_happy: Snow!!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I tell ya what fellas, these sleds are the trick. Yeah, ill agree they are not that easy to look at,... at first. After you ride one, you wont look back and ANYTHING before. My father has a C7 Sno Pro... I had to leave "snowmobile camp" early last weekend to make a New Years Party. I called back up to check on new snow... mother says, "So your father is out on the sled, he'll call you when he gets back". Not on his sled... but on mine. I agree and he agrees too, the Crossfire seems like old technology compared to this F8. I may have a problem getting him off of my sled.

I cannot say anything more posative about it! Do yourself a favor and BUY A NEW F! Not worthy:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Jan 5 2007, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Really nice report Skeboy – thanks!

As far as the driven clutch and belt removal, you don't HAVE to carry any extra tools if you don't want to. Simply remove driven bolt and aluminum cap (twists out by hand) and do one of the following:

1. Simply turn the aluminun cap around, re-install it, and tighten up the driven bolt, which will spread open the sheaves.

2. Or, take the rubber o-ring and deflection washers off the aluminum cap, re-install it, and tighten up the driven bolt, which will spread open the sheaves.

As far as the belt guard/cover, here's what I did:

‘07 F-Series Belt Guard Removal

OK, I finally got around to messing with my F1000 belt guard tonight. No doubt, a real pain in the ass, and I really don't want to have to get out a screwdriver to get the damn thing off, so here's my handy dandy fix.

First off, take some medium sandpaper and sand down all the (crude) edges on the belt guard to make it a little easier on the hands.

Next grind down the outside (PTO side) of the mounting pin on the front of the clutch guard. I went little by little, and ended up actually grinding the pin down to half the size it was before. Started out 1/4" and now it's 1/8" but I don't think you want to go any less than that. It will still hold securely in place but is much, MUCH easier to remove without having to resort to any kind of tools!

Next, looking at the riveted "clamp" at the back of the clutch guard, grind down the edge that's facing upwards. Take off about 1/16" or so, and then grind down both corners of that same edge, so they're much larger radius corners. This will make it MUCH easier to get the "clamp" into its holding slot, without fighting the corners and the top of the "clamp."

Lastly, put a dab of some kind of lube on both sides of the mounting pin on the front of the belt guard.

There, hope this helps make the belt guard removal MUCH easier for some of you! – Roy[/b]
Roy, thanks a bunch for the advice! I did take your advice from one of your earlier posts and modified my clutch cover as you described just as soon as the sled arrived. It is much better now for sure! I didn't realize that it would be so simple reversing the aluminum cap to open the sheaves! bang your head Great news! thumbguy

Oh and for snowpropickle and you others that are on the fence.... Remember, its only the first week of January... ITS STILL EARLY. Snow is coming. Get off the fence and get it home before you regret it! (and no I don't sell sleds to earn my living :super_happy: )

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to hear the new F's are really that good; can't wait to try my F8 S/P out.......hopefully the weather will turn from early May to Winter around here in upstate N.Y. This "winter" has been awful to say the least; we're breaking all kinds of records for warmth & rain. But the lucky ones who are riding, hearing good things about the new sleds is fantastic. I had two '03 F7's and an '04 F7 all Sno Pros and I'm curious how my new one handles & rides compared to my former Firecats'. From what's been posted at different times, I should be very happy...can't wait to find out for myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogthehunter @ Jan 5 2007, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:thumbsup: Awesome looking sled dude, where did you manage to find snow? Is there actually some in Indiana?[/b]

Thanks Dog! We had a trip planned to the Calumet (MI) area, but as most know, there wasn't a lick of snow on the ground. (Day after Christmas) We ended up in White Pines and rode around the Bergland, :thumbsup: Lake Gogebic area. Had a great time! We did see quite a few other 07 Cats around the area. The lake had sleds all over it which suprised me for the warmer temps they had up there. Locals said they had about 10" of ice. Hoop and Holler great place to eat!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice Review. I wish I could contribute, but I can't. No snow and more coats of wax than miles.

thumbguy Love the Spar Grafix!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skeboy @ Jan 5 2007, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogthehunter @ Jan 5 2007, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:thumbsup: Awesome looking sled dude, where did you manage to find snow? Is there actually some in Indiana?[/b]

Thanks Dog! We had a trip planned to the Calumet (MI) area, but as most know, there wasn't a lick of snow on the ground. (Day after Christmas) We ended up in White Pines and rode around the Bergland, :thumbsup: Lake Gogebic area. Had a great time! We did see quite a few other 07 Cats around the area. The lake had sleds all over it which suprised me for the warmer temps they had up there. Locals said they had about 10" of ice. Hoop and Holler great place to eat!
[/b][/quote]

Well, I ordered a F8SP today. I will pick it up on Thursday. I was at the Hoop and Holler during the same time as you. I am hopfully going up to Ironwood this weekend! SNOW! :super_happy: :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
2007 F8 SP Orange - C&A Razor, 6" Stud Boy Shapers

I am cautious when purchasing anything new in the first model year; I like technology that works - leading edge technology not bleeding edge technology. Snowmobiling is no different...

I was in the UP on Friday and Saturday. I logged 267 miles on my new F8. I was concerned that I would be breaking in a new sled with my 11 year old with me the entire time - 2up. I think that was a real benefit because I was able to get good feeling for all the riding positions available. I take my kids with me every chance I get...they are the future of this sport.

For anyone that is on the fence about a new Cat or a sled for that matter...this chassis is the real deal. I have been a Cat guy since I was three, but I have driven almost everything out there and owned several others - brand and model! I was hoping this was the year Cat would have the solution we have all been waiting for...

This machine soaks up the bumps and handles like it’s on rails. Note I did add C&A's skis. My SC7 gave me all the power I wanted, but I was always fighting the ski lift out of the corners and through the bumps. After the 100-mile mark, I hit it hard. As hard as I ever did with the SC7 - son on the back.

The feedback from the machine was more than I expected. Responsive, no ski lift, never hit bottom, fast, exciting, you know...the way snowmobiling should be! The shocks wer at 70psi! The entire time I was riding, I am thinking about how this can possibly be improved.

The machine started very easily and ran smooth.

The gas mileage was impressive...used very little oil. I was hesitant about the Sno Pro package because I didn't want a stiff ride. It was perfect! Even with the seat forward, my son was able to see over my shoulder and he was more comfortable. Next year he is on his own sled...finally! Nevertheless, some of you that have young kids that like to go with you...I would highly suggest this sled for that option. I rode forward on the tank, but we were not crammed for space. The wide seat is very comfortable.

Do not wait! You do not know what you are missing! Find a way to get yourself on one these machines...you will never look back. I rode my wife's Pantera for a few miles so she could get some seat time on the new sled...always helps! She was very impressed also. Keep in mind she has an 800 so the power does not scare her. The difference in the two chassis's is incredible. :super_happy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1lby @ Jan 15 2007, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I am cautious when purchasing anything new in the first model year; I like technology that works - leading edge technology not bleeding edge technology. Snowmobiling is no different...

I was in the UP on Friday and Saturday. I logged 267 miles on my new F8. I was concerned that I would be breaking in a new sled with my 11 year old with me the entire time - 2up. I think that was a real benefit because I was able to get good feeling for all the riding positions available. I take my kids with me every chance I get...they are the future of this sport.

For anyone that is on the fence about a new Cat or a sled for that matter...this chassis is the real deal. I have been a Cat guy since I was three, but I have driven almost everything out there and owned several others - brand and model! I was hoping this was the year Cat would have the solution we have all been waiting for...

This machine soaks up the bumps and handles like it’s on rails. Note I did add C&A's skis. My SC7 gave me all the power I wanted, but I was always fighting the ski lift out of the corners and through the bumps. After the 100-mile mark, I hit it hard. As hard as I ever did with the SC7 - son on the back.

The feedback from the machine was more than I expected. Responsive, no ski lift, never hit bottom, fast, exciting, you know...the way snowmobiling should be! The shocks wer at 70psi! The entire time I was riding, I am thinking about how this can possibly be improved.

The gas mileage was impressive...used very little oil. I was hesitant about the Sno Pro package because I didn't want a stiff ride. It was perfect! Even with the seat forward, my son was able to see over my shoulder and he was more comfortable. Next year he is on his own sled...finally! Nevertheless, some of you that have young kids that like to go with you...I would highly suggest this sled for that option. I rode forward on the tank, but we were not crammed for space. The wide seat is very comfortable.

Do not wait! You do not know what you are missing! Find a way to get yourself on one these machines...you will never look back. I rode my wife's Pantera for a few miles so she could get some seat time on the new sled...always helps! She was very impressed also. Keep in mind she has an 800 so the power does not scare her. The difference in the two chassis's is incredible. :super_happy:[/b]
OK, I'm pretty much foaming at the mouth right now :drool: We leave Wednesday afternoon for snow, and the new F8 is going to see its first miles. Cannot wait!!! Thanks for the report G! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1lby @ Jan 15 2007, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Do not wait! You do not know what you are missing! Find a way to get yourself on one these machines...you will never look back. I rode my wife's Pantera for a few miles so she could get some seat time on the new sled...always helps! She was very impressed also. Keep in mind she has an 800 so the power does not scare her. The difference in the two chassis's is incredible. :super_happy:[/b]
How do those C&A Razors work for mostly trail riding?? C&A makes so many different models that no one knows which type to get for trail riding and a little hot dogging thru the twisties.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I use Razors on my SC7 last season and they are great. My Z570 has Pros, they are good but on as aggressive as the Razors. I only do trail riding and hot dogginf thru the twisties...two thumps up from me. I will not have a sled with stock skis. I would compare skis to tires. You wouldn't use basic tires on a race track. Most important...they are alot safer in the turns. No sliding. :wub: thumbguy thumbguy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
g1lby, nice post. :thumbsup:

Until others get to ride this new F, its really hard to imagine how much improvement Cat has made to the ride! Not worthy:

Congrats on your new purchase :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just traded in my '06 X-fire 600 yesterday. I only bought it new 2 months ago and already had close to 1400 miles on it. I really loved it, but the opportunity came up to purchase a '07 F6 with 233 miles. (he traded on a F8) Well I jumped at it!!

I put on 30 miles last night cause I was pressed for time but this chassis is totally AWESOME!!! My X-fire was great but this is MUCH better!!! The ride and handling are totally above anything I've ridden. That includes New Yammies and Renegades, haven't ridden a new Polaris as of yet!

The only thing is, I am not too happy about the way the hood fits or the plastic but for this ride and handling it's a no-brainer!!

It's going to need a bigger track for me though, I am used to the X-fire and the 1-1/4 ripsaw, well the 1" Hacksaw isn't near those standards, oh well it will give me something to add for next year!

PS: The '07 F6 is alot snappier and has noticably more power then my '06 X-fire had. I'm not sure why. In a drag race though the X-fire comes off the line so much better it would probably still win. If it were a rolling start, the F6 would kill it!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys, I just logged my next 300 miles. Thought this would be a good reality check in that I was wondering if I have been overreactive to how nice these F-8 SP are. As an update, I am still bone stock. I did add one medium spacer to the driven and I threw the stock carbides in the can. My belt was riding a bit low and I wasn't real happy with the way the clutch was shifting at slower speeds. I plan on studding and buying new skiis but haven't got that far yet. Because the sled pushed a bit in the corners, I thought I might try something different as far as carbides were concerned. I went to my dealer to buy some 6" shapers, but my dealer thought they might be a bit to aggressive without studs. I have never heard of this, but he suggested using a combination of runners, ie.. shaper on one side, dually on the other. He gave me several bars to try so I could find the combo that worked best, but I didn't take the time to screw with it.

I ended up with woody's 6" single runners. (non shapers) Whoa, what a difference. No push, and the sled was an absolute blast on the trails. I did have a bit of darting, but for you guys that aren't studded, this is a major improvement over the stockers. Now I am wondering what 6" dually's would do. Anyway, the shim really smoothed out the clutching. I got about 13 mpg with very moderate oil usage. Played around a little with shock pressure, but found for me 65 lbs still works best. Engine did seem a little fat at slow speed, but thats not a big deal for me as she sounded great at medium speed up. I never got a chance to let her wind up, but it did touch 100 in a hurry. It did have a little left, but not sure how much. Again, as I mentioned before, this was a snow check sled and was a really late build. (late November) I wish some of you experiencing problems had this one. Not a problem on the trail at all.

Cat, my hats off to you. I am still very satisfied with my new machine. If I were given a wish list though, imo, we would like to see some simple improvements to make this unit even better. Trunk. Belt holder. 1" stock track not the best and finally I have to admit, as much as I love this thing, I really wish we didn't have to deal with the plastic. We can't clean it, or wax it, not alone ride it without scratching it. I am impressed with the rev and some of the yammi's, but for me, this is still the machine to have. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts