Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new F-6. What seems to be the best mods to improve throttle response, mileage, top end speed, and all around performance? Who makes the best ones for this particular sled?

Thanks

~Fast

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would like to know as well. I haven't seen anything out there from the aftermarket companies. I know the big story is the 800 & 1000, but isn't the 600 segment still the most popular?

·
Registered
103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (greenF-6 @ Mar 7 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would like to know as well. I haven't seen anything out there from the aftermarket companies. I know the big story is the 800 & 1000, but isn't the 600 segment still the most popular?[/b]
Billet heads $350 adds 8-10hp

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I'm working on a few things right now. Timing, breathers, clutching, and gear changes. Will pass on more as tests give results.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fast 440 @ Mar 7 2007, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just bought a new F-6. What seems to be the best mods to improve throttle response, mileage, top end speed, and all around performance? Who makes the best ones for this particular sled?

Thanks

~Fast[/b]
F8 or F1000!

I'm sorry, but why would you buy an F6 then immediately want performance improving mods. It's all about the big-blocks these days. That's were the lions share of the aftermarket R&D is. I've seen zero discussion of F6 enhancments on ArcticChat, HCS or SnowmobileWorld. That said, eventually some products may come to market. But don't hold you breath waiting.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted a 600, nothing more. I don't have the money to waste on bigger machines that have issues. I am glad that you feel the so-called "big blocks" are where it is at. Personally I don't care what you think. The only performance improving mods that I want are maybe a clutch kit to get all of the performance that I can out of what I have. I am not looking for pipes or anything stupid. I bought a 600 and I want it to be able to have the performance that is already there.

Fast

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MUSKOKA800 @ Mar 9 2007, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fast 440 @ Mar 7 2007, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

~Fast[/b]
F8 or F1000!

I'm sorry, but why would you buy an F6 then immediately want performance improving mods. It's all about the big-blocks these days. That's were the lions share of the aftermarket R&D is. I've seen zero discussion of F6 enhancments on ArcticChat, HCS or SnowmobileWorld. That said, eventually some products may come to market. But don't hold you breath waiting.
[/b][/quote]
I disagree 100%. It's simply the fact that more people have been focused on the 1000 and 800 on these forums....since they are the "new motors". No different than comparing the talk on F7's to F6's in the past. I still believe the 600 class is the most popular class overall and there are performance gains to be had. And the 600 this year is the same as last yr's 600....so the engine mods will work the same. Not everyone wants to be the fastest or needs to have the biggest. As Fast440 said, people still want their particular sled to run to it's full potential. Clutching, studding, & tuning in general are pretty much a universal desire reguardless of what cc sled you buy. I know guys who run fan sleds. That's what they wanted for their own reasons. They have clutched them, etc too. What you said is like someone telling you to buy the biggest sled available or don't buy one. If this was the case, buyers would only need 4 choices of sleds....1 from Cat, Yami, Doo and Poo. The world is a diverse place, open your eyes and see it once in awhile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MUSKOKA800 @ Mar 9 2007, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fast 440 @ Mar 7 2007, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

~Fast[/b]
F8 or F1000!

[/b][/quote]

Nothing would please me more than NOT to go out and get performance improving mods! Fact is I think I have to to get my sled to run like the sled I thought I was buying. If my 600 ran like a 600 I'd be completely happy but unfortunatley, it doesn't. Now I'm as brand loyal as they come, but the engine performance on my sled is embarrassing. Fast 440 and taperk600, you guys get a thumbs up! Later.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only have about 80 miles on mine so far. I probably won't get to ride it until next year, but so far it keeps up with every other 600 class machine stock for stock. I talked with Blackmagic racing and they now have a clutch kit out. Suppose to improve corner to corner acceperation and top speed quite a bit. Looks like that is my cup of tea. I would have waited for the new race sled to come out, but was looking for more of a trail sled than what that would be and I got a helluva deal and knew that there would be not many changes to it for next year. Now I just want a 600 that is going to act like a 600, not an 800 or 1000!

~Fast

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am also after a 600 with the performance of a 600. I would love to leave it stock and ride it as a 600, but I feel it has the power of sabercat 500. When we line it up next to the f7, I give him a full head start then track it down and fly by it in 500 foot, something isnt right.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd highly recommend Black Magic super single pipe they add 8hp.I would put the black magic specific clutch kit for the pipe, and maybe a chrome mono block head for extra cooling and a performance gain. These alone will really wake that sled up.

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
The 600 class is dying, 800 is now the most popular. You can pull the air block off plate, and add a clutch kit. But I wouldn't bother going any further.

It is cheaper to buy an 800 than add a pipe and boondocker to a 600.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think you must be insane to think that the 600 class is dying, or that nobody wants these anymore - just the bigger motors. Probably some of the dumbest comments I've seen on a message board. If that were the case, the manufacturers wouldn't make 5-600's in the large numbers that they do. Not everybody is a throttle jockey that feels the need to go as fast as possible at all times, even when its unsafe. Not everybody thinks they need to prove something to their friends. How big is that 800/1000cc class in snocross?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I did lot's of racing with my 600 last year..... to 660ft it hangs with just about anything out there in it's class.

After that though it doesn't have the long legs to compete with the Doo or Polaris.

I beat many SDI's to 660ft mark. I also lost to some as well.

PS. It kicks the **** out of any 500 out there.....and it should!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 600 class sled is still the largest consumer sector by all brands(yamaha plays by a 4 stroke game) and I feel Cat just happens to be at the low point with the 600cc engine development
I will hope the new tricks in the 600 snopro motor will evelvate the 600 cat motor to the top of the class again. this popular engine size segment is important to a lot of buyers due to cost and insurance reasons. The thought of having to buy a 800 cc sled to get 600 cc class performance is not a good excuse to me.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recently picked up a Clutch Kit for the stock pipe from Black Magic. Should make it run much better. I am going to free up the air intake and ride it like that.

Possibly more mods to come later.

~Fast

·
Registered
281 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FELINETAMER @ Oct 1 2007, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 600 class sled is still the largest consumer sector by all brands(yamaha plays by a 4 stroke game) and I feel Cat just happens to be at the low point with the 600cc engine development
I will hope the new tricks in the 600 snopro motor will evelvate the 600 cat motor to the top of the class again. this popular engine size segment is important to a lot of buyers due to cost and insurance reasons. The thought of having to buy a 800 cc sled to get 600 cc class performance is not a good excuse to me.[/b]
BINGO
:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This in no way is very scientific but just want to see if any other 2007 f owner noticed the amount of driveline friction these sleds seem to have?.. one day we took 5 sleds to a large smooth sledding hill that was well packed and icy. the sleds there for this informal test. 07 f6sp, 2006 f5 sno pro, 06 sd mxzx 600sdi, 07 polaris 600 ho, 07 f8 lxr. to start we all removed the drive belts and with a picked driver to keep the load the same. we picked a starting point and allowed each sled to just coast using gravity only. the results were as follows, the firecat out distanced all sleds by 12 feet 3 for 3 times, next closest was the polaris 600 ho, then the ski doo and some 25 feet to the rear was the 2 new f sleds at within a foot of each other all three times. both 07 f sleds had no track rubbing issues and had 15 inch wide stock tracks without studs,same as all sleds there that day. next all sleds were placed in a common spot and without a driver allowed to be let go and roll to a natural stop,again the same finishing order but all traveled a few feet shorter overall. My seat time while on the f6 gave a feel like a internal driveline friction was there robbing this sled of top speed and fuel mpg. others in this group took turns driving the 07 f sleds and described a similar feeling or sensation. all tracks seem to roll well and have no tight spots. the tracks are to spec as for alignment and deflection values. track drivers are centered and clutches are in proper alignment.ski alignment was spot on.
this stupid friction roll resistance test seemed to show up with the distance that the two f sleds produced. Has anybody else taken notice to this feel or sensation with this chassis? --- Yes I know there will be flack over the difference in miles on the sleds,ski runners ect.. but the results did not vary in all runs. Has anybody taken the time to blue print the chassis and see any significant gain in et/speed or mph after this was done?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts