Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple jerry cans 1.25 gallon but they dont strap on the front very well because they fall between the holes on the rack. They dont fit on the back very good either with the storage box. I could fit them in the storage box but then everything else would smell like gas. I have the snorkle in the front so I cant fit a long Kolping flat pack. Im considering a kolpin Jr flat pack as maybe that would work better. How do you carry your extra fuel? Got pics? I only get about 80 miles a tank now and thats to close to call from some of my longer rides I want to go on. I never ran out of gas and dont want too!

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I carry my flat pack on the rear rack. Koplin also makes a holder that you can mount it off the rack on the back.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant put the flat pack on the rear unless I mount it on top of my box. that may work? I dont want anything hagging off the back because my ridding buddies have a tendency to play tag with their bumpers!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
this is where I carry mine...
[attachment=67268:new_pictures_004.jpg]

BM...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
[attachment=67275:picture_023.jpg][attachment=67276:picture_035.jpg]

This is what I did for my gas pack because My racks are full also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks good CardioCasey. Did you make that yourself? Does the can lock in?

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
The pics are from a couple years ago.

Made from 1/4" angle aluminum, slides, used sled rails... Bolts on with the rack bolts right to the frame, on/off in a couple minutes.

Had it on for a couple hundred mile rides, gas tank didn't move around a single millimeter.

If needed, can carry other stuff too. Incredibly rigid/solid & strong. Can lift the entire ATV from the rear tube and no visible flex.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoopie @ Mar 23 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That looks good CardioCasey. Did you make that yourself? Does the can lock in?[/b]
Sorry it took me so long to reply.
I did make it myself and used bed spray on bed liner.
It hooks into my MRP and pins in.
The gas pack I just use the valcro tie straps to keep it in.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Some good ideas. Im thinking of mounting a two gallon gas tank behind the stock gas tank in between the rear bumper frame.
Probably just strapping it in with bungee cords or velcro. I wish i had welding skills to make what you got Cardio casey

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im thinking like as shown below. It seems to work good and doesnt slide around to much with straps. Either vertical or horizontal.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Seems a bit close to the exhaust, no?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I don't know if that is such a good idea. If that can is not vented I would think that it would expand from the heat of the exhaust, unless you make some type of heat shield, either way be careful.

maybe I'm wrong let us know what you do :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not sure either. The can doesnt move so it stays at the position of about 4 inches away from the exhaust. Im not sure if the exhaust would put of enough heat to effect the gas can. The stock tank sits right next to the exhaust also but closer. I may put a heat shield next to the exhaust just in case. I will let it idle for a while with the gas can there and see if it heats up. it sure fits perfect.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update on this. I took the quad out yesterday for 60 miles in mostly slow technical riding and the gas can never got warm to the touch. In fact it was always cold. The weather was 20 to 36 degrees though. The summer will be a better test but no problems in the winter. With bungees it never moved. you can see it here under the rear bumper.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts