Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Exhaust Mod today

126K views 254 replies 69 participants last post by  catwalkin 
#1 · (Edited)
Exhaust Mod today/Complete

I did the mod today...when you drill the holes make sure you stay at least 5/8" away from the inside of the muffler case. I didn't ,and on the second hole I caught the screen that holds the packing in place and the packing wrapped around my bit. So BEWARE! I also took a picture with a flashlite in the intake side showing how much airflow there is. The other pics are of my new tip with bed and bath spark arrestor/sink drain lol That was made for me by grasshopper out of the goodness of his heart.(THANKS BILL) I have cut off the original tip and will be welding a plug from the inside so you don't see it.I will post more when all done and jet hot coated or painted see how it goes.I used a grinder with a zip disc and cut right at the weld to remove the end cap.. I then used a hacksaw to cut through the factory tube. To cut the factory tube flush with the baffle inside I used a die grinder with a zip disc.Then ,yes you need to weld it back on.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
looks good and not to hijack but ive been pondering this for over a week now and still havnt found a true answer if ill need a fuel controller or not for EFI. i know you have to rejet the carb as i had to with my 400 but im not use to the EFI stuff.

#3 ·
I think you just did (hijack) lol

#4 ·
NO i didnt LOL i said your is looking good! hahaha you going to have any sound clips when your done?

#5 ·
NO i didnt LOL i said your is looking good! hahaha you going to have any sound clips when your done?
I'm pretty computor illiterate but I will try.Do you want the sound clip of the exhaust or of my wife yelling at me for doing the exhaust mod ? lol

#7 ·
if you don't mind me asking ? were did you get the screen and tip at ?
I was serious Bed Bath and Beyond for the screen(sink strainer) and a fellow member (grasshopper) made the tip for me .The screen sits in a recess he created for it.The screen is notched a tiny bit at each screw hole so it is a perfect seal. Once the original tailpipe hole is welded and ground flush you will never know it isn't stock and if I get checked I am still legal(technically) because I have a spark arrestor. I am going to weld the stock tip to my original spark arrestor flange with a hole so I can reduce the size of my tip if I want it quieter.I picked up a couple more screens to have as spares

#8 ·
400le you should be alright with just exhaust mod..but if you snorkel it i would get a programmer. Just check your plug anyway to be 100 percent sure.

Looks good doorfx and thats a sweet shop to man

#9 ·
Thanks .

#10 ·
Looks good!!

Reactions: doorfx
#12 ·
#13 ·
Updates

Pics of the end plate and plug,end welded and starting to paint.

Attachments

#14 ·
Looks good, my exhaust should be finished up next week.

#15 ·
Funny i just repainted mine this week lol

#16 ·
That looks awesome savage!

#17 ·
Thanks man

#19 ·
I used trimclad bbq paint, i tried that vht exhaust paint on my sled didnt last worth a crap so i thought id try bbq paint, there is about 10 coats on it tho lol i used the whole can just to try and get it to last maybe

#20 ·
Ok we will have to do a long term analysis of our paint jobs(lol). I used a wire wheel on my whole muffler then wiped it down with alcohol(rye will do lol) and three coats.So at the end of summer lets compare.ClapCat happyRockerdude

#25 ·
I was thinking of painting mine with green header paint, I think that would be too overkill though. I'm just going to paint it with barbecue paint, and when it flakes off at the end of the summer I will get it jet-hot coated.

#26 ·
I have talked to people who got the jethot done and said it was a wate of money.I'm not sure in Newfoundland but I got quoted $105.00 for just the muffler

#27 ·
Really? I was talking to GWC about it and he said he loved it. I will check it out. I want to get some kind of coating done, because I'm sick of re-painting my exhaust every year.

#29 ·
I used a grinder with a zip disc and cut right at the weld. I then used a hacksaw to cut through the factory tube. To cut the factory tube flush with the baffle inside I used a die grinder with a zip disc.Then ,yes you need to weld it back on.

#31 ·
:pics;

#33 ·
complete

Sorry for the crappy pics $10 camera, Savagman the heat shield before and after pics are for you lol

Attachments

#34 ·
How did you get the heat shield cleaned up so nice?

#35 ·
If you read further up ,my neighbour did it.Acid dipped then coated with a teflon like cooking surface...lol it is food grade.The pictures don't do it justice it looks like about 20 coats of clear

Reactions: Terry Slaney
#36 ·
doorfx Good job on exhaust mod looks better than stock!!

#37 ·
Thanks,

#38 ·
I have a 4 inch piece of Stainless pipe i been thinking about welding ends on and then a tip and putting it on my mud pro 700. anyone do this? I like the looks of your mod HrsToGo. just thought i have this piece of pipe and it would look cool being stainless and then it would match my truck...

#39 ·
Thanks crash444 The tip end on the exhaust is from hmf I welded on.

#40 ·
I just did the exh mod same time as doorfx, and thanks to his ideas i did something similar, but when i rewelded the end back on, irotated it 180 degrees so that the arrestor/new exh tip are in the factory location. This way it keeps the exh tip away from the plastics. I will post pics when i get it back from the powder coater.
Jeff

#44 ·
Nice job! That is a good idea rotating it 170 degrees lol or is it just the camera angle? I would do that if I had a do over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.