Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2000 AC 500 and my muffler quite a few rust holes in it. Could I jut take the guts out of my old one do the mod and make a new exterior pipe? Also would I have to do any other modifications previously talked about like re-jetting ,etc if I did do this mod?

thanks,

Newbie but very addicted to this site now that I have a little free time!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Welcome aboard. ..there is alot of great info on this site...I'm not sure about your question as far as the rust and taking out the guts go ...you might want to look on ebay for a used muffler and in all likelihood you will have to rejet but that's easy...I'm sure a few guys will chime in and answer your questions

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Im guessing if you take the guts out it will be like a straight pipe and loud as hell. Also, with that much air flow, it could run really lean unless you rejet. With stock machines I think some back pressure is needed for it to run right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well I was just going to fabricate the outer shell of the muffler then take the guts out of my old one , mod it and shove the guts into my other one but I shall look on ebay1! also ive cleaned carbs before but is re-jetting is putting bigger jets in?

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Sorry, I didnt catch the part about putting some guts back in. In your case, yes bigger jetting, possibly just the main jet. I dont think its as critical with a muffler mod as it is an airbox mod. An airbox mod will help more air get in to balance the freed up exhaust. I dont do deep water, so I drilled the top of the airbox with several holes for more airflow.
The water gnats Not worthy: snorkel the airbox which adds more air.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I've noticed that the holes drilled into the muffler are of different sizes from rider to rider. I have also noticed that there is comments of back pressure being required.

So as to preserve back pressure is the goal to have the holes drilled and the tail pipe inside diameter overall total sizes not to exceed the 3 internal pipes total sizes?

Of course the ID of the pipe ahead of the muffler should be also taken into consideration as the basis of sizes to compare. All of this comparison is to make sure that there is back pressure and the fuel mixture stays within limits me thinks.

Testing needs to be done and than done again when changes to air filter happen.
Looking for comments on this.

Thanks

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Reactions: Westcoastjack

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
I'd like to do this on my '05 400. Can someone suggest a good jet kit so I have a few on hand to try if I need to re jet?

Just get a DYNOJET kit it comes with everything but a pilot jet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I know this thread is a bit old but I didn't see anyone do the stock muffler mod quite like I did it. I did it to a 2006 500 Auto. I went more the performance muffler direction. I also screwed up and didn't take pictures while I had it apart but I'll do my best to describe it.

So ground the welds off the end cap and then I gutted the entire muffler. It was kind of a trick but after a half hour of hammering long punches through, I finally removed the entire core. So at this point, it was just a hollow muffler. Then I took a 2" pipe, figured the angle from the inlet to the center of the outlet, cut it and welded it to my new end cap. I added a 2" tip and then took the stock spark arrestor, made it into a cone and welded it into the end cap (you can just barely see it). Then I drilled 1/4" holes throughout the entire 2" core about every 2" all the way around perforating the core. I then finished it by adding fiberglass packing around the core and welding the cap in place. So essentially, mine has a straight 2" perforated core with fiberglass packing, similar to most performance mufflers except mine cost me $0 and about 4 hours of time. I then painted it up with header black and put it on.

The sound clip gives a good idea of what the sound is like. I would compare it to a full on sport ATV but slightly quieter. Its most definitely louder than stock, and deeper with a good bark, but I feel like it isn't obnoxious. The spark arrestor also acts as a baffle, without it, it is very loud.

Click on this for sound

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just reread this thread and still didn't catch anyone that did it on a 1000. I know it's the exact process but I was anxious to see video clips of what it sounded like. Picked up a used muffler for $25 so I was going to do it this weekend

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Post pics ! You will like it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any recommendation for tips? I'd love to hear the sound of the v twin but obviously not obnoxious, and if it's going to cost next to nothing

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
wow looks like this mod is still being done i can remember back in 2008 when i did my 08 tcat i just removed the plate drilled it out with a hole saw
and installed a 2 in 45 degree tailpipe and bolted it back on..
my mud pro i cut the back of the muffler off,, i also took 1 inch off the total length of the muffler also the baffle got some reworking as well
only this time i made an exh snorkle

Attachments

Reactions: doorfx
241 - 255 of 255 Posts