Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody give me the link for instructions and pictures for the exhaust mod everybody is doing. Sounds interesting just want to see how it's done , thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
How much louder does this make the bike?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
from what I hear a little louder but more mellow and still not as louad as an HMF pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
[attachment=138847:exhaust_mod.jpg]
cut the can at the seam, take a dremel to the outlet pipe and cut flush with the others, drill some holes in the plate, weld on a new plate with a peice of 2" pipe sticking out of it. rejet and enjoy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
i would like to know how many efi guys have done this mod without fuel mods ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the pics and info I'm thinking about doing this in conjunction with the copperhead vdi , just added 26" swamplites and now time for a little more balls

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'vs done it to my 700h1 and havent had any probs yet..i have about 50 mi on the new can...i have more down low but it seems like i lost a mile or two up top...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also did it to my 700 h1 no fuel mod. sounds louder but i can't honestly feel that much of a difference....

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
well i did it to mine tonight :)

i did not ride it much but it does have alot more bottom end power :):) the front end comes up VERY easy now :):):)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so would you say its worth it then? is it that much louder? apperently B.C. gov. is going to pass a new law so we have to liecnce our quad and the exhaust can be no loader then 98 db. so if this is going to put me over that i dont really want to to do it unless it gives me enough low end to blast the CO officers and get the hell out of there slomo

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
to test the sound level take the arrestor out, that'll be a little louder than the full mod (also high pitched and tinny compared to the full deal)

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 11 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
to test the sound level take the arrestor out, that'll be a little louder than the full mod (also high pitched and tinny compared to the full deal)[/b]
+1 with just the arrestor out it is louder than the full mod

it is not much louder than stock just a real nice sound

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Don't forget that if you ride in a National Forest and without a spark arrestor, the rangers may get angry. That is one of the things I've known a few rangers to look for when they see aftermarket or modded exhaust. Which I think is BS anyhow, a 4 cycle does not throw sparks like a 2 cycle engine could.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought that if you open up your exhaust you will lose low end power but gain at WOT becuase you need backpressure for low end? My Yamaha R6 had an exup valve in the exhaust that would close at low RPM's to boost backpressure and open up at WOT for a free flowing exhaust, When i changed my pipe i lost a bit of low end but gained top end. This could be comparing apples to oranges though because my Yamaha redlines at 16,500rpms.

I also used to do demo derbies and figure 8 races, same deal went for all the cars that i hacked the exhaust off of, it made the cars louder but i lost bottom end?? Maybe it was all in my head? and i was gaining low end power ??? I dunno

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
It depends on how it's jetted and just how much back pressure there is.
But as a rule of thumb you lose bottom and gain top.
Maybe way too restrictive, so it helps.

I have kept from doing the muff on mine because I don't want to jet or lose low end.

I'm going to get a jet kit then will prob do the muff anyway.
I run in low range so much that I really don't need low end LOL

BTI

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
the stock is way restrictive, i noticed gains all across but more on top. on a carb bike jetting needs to be lots richer. i saw where someone dyno tested a modded stock vs HMF and was only 1 or 2 HP shy of the HMF. proper clutching to keep the revs up works with the top end gains also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts