Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an exhaust leak between the manifold and muffler that is big enough that I think it is causing the performance to suffer.

What can I use to fix the leak that will withstand the heat?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
A big gap?

Permatex Copper or Loctite Copper will bridge quite a gap.

Be sure to clean the metal... Oil and loose rust must be cleaned off or it won't stick as well as it could.

I would recommend letting it cure for as long as possible before you ride... At least 24hrs, because it will take longer to cure completely if it is applied thick to fill a gap.

I used it on an ice bike once, had a high-speed crash and the pipe was slightly bent and never fit quite the same. The high-temp copper silicones saved the day!

Hope it works out for you! :chug:

·
Registered
477 Posts
can it be welded or can new fittings be welded on? That would be the best bet, if that wouldnt work, I would then try the copper gasket although on big spaces I have not had much luck with it. It will depend on how hot the exhaust will be getting. If its right off the engine, I do not think you will have success using the copper gasket to plug a gap, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mastercam @ Jan 26 2007, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is it a hole, or is your joint from y-pipe to can leaking?[/b]

It's the joint from the y-pipe to the can. I went with Permatex Copper and we'll see how it holds up.

Thanks for the responses!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts