Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 24 miles on a new z1 bearcat and noticed that the exhaust y pipe is glowing red after short drives. I asked the dealer about it and said to drive it but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? The sled works great and isn't overheating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
And yes I know its old thread from Feb but may not be resolved for this year.
wow, Im not turbo expert but I have one on my GMC truck and Im surprised that ya get a red glow off exhaust. Guess my view would be a turbo will not raise heat so exhaust glows it will actually lower heat at exhaust as its adding fastr flow of cooler air to engine. Should not raise temp. a Red glow normally means running too hot which is normally richness of fuel mix. Too lean and engine exhaust glows. You can also get the glow if ya have too much de-icer in fuel.
just my un qualified view. Red glow always means something is wrong unless Arctic Cats on that style engine are somehow different from every other engine.

Rags

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
And yes I know its old thread from Feb but may not be resolved for this year.
wow, Im not turbo expert but I have one on my GMC truck and Im surprised that ya get a red glow off exhaust. Guess my view would be a turbo will not raise heat so exhaust glows it will actually lower heat at exhaust as its adding fastr flow of cooler air to engine. Should not raise temp. a Red glow normally means running too hot which is normally richness of fuel mix. Too lean and engine exhaust glows. You can also get the glow if ya have too much de-icer in fuel.
just my un qualified view. Red glow always means something is wrong unless Arctic Cats on that style engine are somehow different from every other engine.

Rags
You are absolutely bassackwards on that it is very common for a turbo to glow red. it's not the turbo that cools the engine down it's the fuel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sebastian F7 Im ass backwards?
I dont know anything about Arctic cat turbos as i said. But I assume AC turbo is same as all others.
Turbos dont raise the exhaust temp above normal heat due to fuel combustion. Turbos pressurize cool air into combustion chamber. all things being equal and running right you should not see a rise in temp at exhaust. GLOW RED will break down the metal and systems it is involved with, high heat bad!. The red is the breaking down of the metal due to heat. It is not normal in any engine exhaust be it aspirated, supercharged or turboed. Red glow is an indication of a problem. lean fuel, overheating engine, wrong chemical mix of fuel......
i maybe wrong on an arctic cat turbo as i dont know anything about an arctic cat turbo........but everyother turbo says your wrong.
RAGS

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually if you look at the data the heat on the exhaust side (going out tail after turbo) of the turbo is usually (except at idle) less then the incoming heat from the exhaust ports (engine). And the intake air from a turbo is just fresh air from air cleaner. I do suggest you google it you will see that any metal in a system of exhaust that glows red is indication of breakdown of metal and engines are not designed to produce that amount of heat. You can also google the tech data which will show the heat of exhaust is less after turbo the before.
I guess we can arm chair it all day. The bottom line is simple...Red metal glow in exhaust chain is indication of metal break down caused by several different failures for the system.

Rags

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Actually if you look at the data the heat on the exhaust side (going out tail after turbo) of the turbo is usually (except at idle) less then the incoming heat from the exhaust ports (engine). And the intake air from a turbo is just fresh air from air cleaner. I do suggest you google it you will see that any metal in a system of exhaust that glows red is indication of breakdown of metal and engines are not designed to produce that amount of heat. You can also google the tech data which will show the heat of exhaust is less after turbo the before.
I guess we can arm chair it all day. The bottom line is simple...Red metal glow in exhaust chain is indication of metal break down caused by several different failures for the system.

Rags
I guess those hy/hx 35 turbos on those million mile Cummins are breaking down, something must not be right. I mean they only have a million miles on them. Yup that fresh air from the air cleaner does what when it leaves the compressor housing? Oh that's right it goes thru the intercooler. A light red glow is perfectly normal, now if it's cherry red and lightning up your engine bay that's another story. I'm sure your right though, I mean the dealer says it's normal, must mean something is wrong, they have no idea what they are doing. You on the other hand obviously know more than they do.

BTW I'm well aware of how turbos work, I've rebuilt a few. Rockerdude

Op best advice I can give you on your turbo is to let your sled run for a minute of two after you are done riding. Not doing so can stops oil flow and that nice hot casting will boil the oil inside the casting and can gum up the bearings. I run an egt on all my turbo toys and ensure egts are below 350℉ before shutdown...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Too funny, Bang my head to. But ya it still is the point of contention be it turbo or not red exhaust......good? or sign of break down?
Im in to the cummings dealer this afternoon anyway so I will through the question past the mech.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts