Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a y-pipe to motor gasket for a 73 el tigre 400, and the donut for the pipe to y-pipe connection.

1) Are the y-pipe to motor gaskets similar to water pump gaskets so I could make my own out of materials I already have? (my guess is no).
2) Can I use the copper RTV sealant instead of getting a new donut for the ball flange? (my guess is yes).
3) Does the y-pipe to motor gasket need any type of RTV sealant on it?
4) What about the gaskets between carb flanges and the motor. Can those be the water pump materials? (my guess is yes).

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has done this?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, will try if I can't find a gasket set.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Just alone the high temp silicone wont hold up to any amount of riding time, you will need the donut gasket. Im guessing that you are talking about from the main exhaust pipe to the Y-pipe connection?
When I had a MBRP on my ZRT 800 I had to put in a couple new gaskets where the pipes meet the MBRP, the fit wasn't perfect so I had to use some high temp silicone, it came in a red tube and was rated for exhaust I do beilieve. With a good coating all the way around it held up for the better part of one season but for your application, of just using the silicone to fill up the whole space I doubt it would last to long. JMO

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found an exhaust manifold gasket set for free from a ford big block that I can probably retrofit to work between the y-pipe and motor. However the outlet size on the gaskets I found are slightly larger than the exhaust ports on the motor by about an 1/8 ". IE if the exhaust ports are 1.25" dia the gasket holes are 1.50" dia. 1/8" all the way around. Will this be a problem? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts