Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that Michigan's gas will now contain 15% ethanol. How will this fuel affect running a EFI or carbed sled?? Is anyone unplugging that ethanol plug on a Firecat or the switch on the 03's?

Is this that big of a deal if you leave your sled untouched?

LM

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have been using 10% in maine for about a year and a half now.... i just run some k100 in with every tank. i left switch on regular, no issues yet.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Did Michigan actually pass the E15 law? I thought it was just a proposal up to this point, and it was being considered?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea if they passed the law yet? I just heard people talking about it this past weekend at the Novi, MI Snowmobile show.

They had some great deals there on gear, and parts. Not going to buy anything until this show next year.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I noticed this one and thought about one thing to be aware of: Yal 2 strokers are probably aware already.

If you have any gas with ethanol in it, you will need to run synthetic oil...
I found this out the hard way with a new 2 stroke and cheap gas.

After taking back a new engine, an engineer for the mfg came out to catch us loading up and asked me what gas I was using... I told him unleaded... He laughed and said, if it has any ethanol in it, you will have to run synthetic oil... ethanol will not mix with OIL... He showed us this and it explained why I had a ton of un-burned oil all over the exhaust... Anyway, I figured I was the last to find this out, hopefully this will help those who are using 2 strokes and mixing gas etc... Just mixing more won't fix it, its the Aaaaaalcohol that's messing it up. :)

Hope this helps..

;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
the oil thing shouldn't make a difference, cause you should already be running synthetic apv oil. but just make sure you unplug your ethanol wire under the hood on your efi cat, and you should be fine seeing thats all you can really do stock, it richens it up 10%. on carbed for 10% ethanol they say to jet 10% bigger, for if you consistently run 15% and are worried, jet 15% richer and you'll be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts