Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out if I have the eprom to run Ethanol or if I have the one for regular gas. I found my ECU model #, but that still does not tell me What chip I have. Would I have to pull the ECu and open the chip door on the bottom to look for a number on the chip? All last season I ran Ethanol gas and then I read a thread about the pug for oxiginated gas versus regular gas and started to wonder. The plug came into effect on the 2000 models. my 98 model has no option except for the chip change.

Does anyone know what would happen if you run ethanol in a sled that has a regular chip in it. what woudl/could happen in you have an ethanol chip and run regular gas, no ethanol? I dunno

thanks

John

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
There is a single yellow wire at the ECU that has a male and female plug that is inside of a clear rubber boot.
If you run ethanol, you unplug this wire and it sends 6% more fuel to richen up the hotter burning fuel.
There should be a sticker on the ECU telling you how to do it.
Mike

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That wire did not come into play until 2000. I have a 98. The book shows 6 different ECU #'s, Circle, Square and Triangle. Ethanol and Regular for each chip shape. if you are saying the ethanol chip would run 6% richer, I wonder if I have that already. I get oil coming from the first joint between the manifold and the pipe. It just sort of collects there. It may be happening when it cold until it warms up or something. I seem to use a lot of oil, although I never really tried to figure out based on the gas usage.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing and nobody seems to have a sraight answer. Cat wants a ton of money for a new chip so I am going to run the way it is and check the plugs. If it becomes too big of a problem , I will look for a newer style computer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matrick98Z @ Nov 18 2009, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have been wondering the same thing and nobody seems to have a sraight answer. Cat wants a ton of money for a new chip so I am going to run the way it is and check the plugs. If it becomes too big of a problem , I will look for a newer style computer.[/b]

I ran it all last year, about 600 miles. I checked my plugs because I seemed to be using quite a bit of oil and getting poor mileage compared to some of the guys I ride with, and the plug was a tan color. I expected to see it black. THere is a lot of oil collecting at the exaust splice. Maybe I will do the same run it with what ever I can fill up with and just keep an eye on the plugs. the problem with that is, if you run a couple of tanks in a day and you are running lean, you could burn down that quick. The Ethanol chip costs about what a set of pistons/ rings would cost.

Update: I talked to Dan at D&D. he told me they have a performance chip available for Ethanol. It will richen up the mixture by 3%. he said the chip with no pipe made to run Ethanol will gain aout 6 hp. you can also buy a chip and pipe combo for ethanol and get about 12 hp. that runs about $490 I think he said. If you pull your ECU and flip it over, there is a cover with 4 screws on it. there should be a model number on the chip and that will tell you if you have the ethanol chip or not. If you need the part numbers let me know and I can post them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Heres my big question now that another post has been made about that yellow wire in wisconsin our gas has i believe 15% ethanol currently would unplugging that wire be better for the engine?
I ran all last year the way it is plugged in.

Also state wants to go to 20-25% i heard but that has not happend yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 99 zr600 efi sleds have the oxygenated plug too. This computer is a direct replacement for your 98. I believe in 2000 or 2001, they switched to a power valve setup that would be different than the 98/99 models. Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you have the PN for the ethanol chip that would be great. Im just assuming that it doesnt have one because it came from Illinois. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fzr989 @ Nov 18 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 99 zr600 efi sleds have the oxygenated plug too. This computer is a direct replacement for your 98. I believe in 2000 or 2001, they switched to a power valve setup that would be different than the 98/99 models. Good luck with it!![/b]
The change to Power valves was made in 2001. The ECU's from 99-2000 are interchangeable as long as you can match the symbols to the injectors you have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts