Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 arctic cat firecat 700 and am wondering what I should have the switch set to. It is to my understanding that all gas has ethanol and the only time I would use regular is if I was running race fuel?

I really need this clarified as I know that this switch affects the timing and fuelng and do not want to predetonate my sled.

Also what gas should I put in it? i used to run 89-91 in my 2001 mxz 600 but my friend seems to think that you need to run supreme in these sleds.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Quick answer(s):

1. You use the switch when running ANY ethanol gas, regardless of octane rating
2. The sled was designed to run at 87 octane ... run that for optimal performance unless you have engine mods requiring different octane gas
3. Do NOT run race fuel unless there's a specific need for it (see #2 above)

Any questions on #2 ... there's LOTS of discussions within the site so you can search on it to read up further if need be.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
plugged in or out for ethanol is his question. I run unpluged

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys so leave it on ethanol then? I dont have the timing key just the actual switch which i believe they took off after 2003?
Glad to hear I can run on 87 octane and save money, My mxz 600 was a bitch and burnt retarded amounts of fuel compared to my friends efi firecat 700's.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBlackCat @ Nov 18 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
plugged in or out for ethanol is his question. I run unpluged[/b]
He's got the 2003 model with the fuel selector mounted on the cowling. :sure_ok:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a 2006 f6 efi and it has an ethanol plug in the front by the air intake silencer. Just wondering if i have to have that plugged in cause all of minnesota's gas is 10% ethanol

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
"Oxygenated gasolines containing up to 10% ethanol or up to 15% MTBE are acceptable gasolines; however, if oxygenated gasoline is used, the fuel designation switch on the console must be in the up (Ethanol) position." - 2004 Firecat 600 EFI early build manual

If it has ethanol in it I would run the ethanol map to be safe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a 2006 f6 it doesnt have the switch on the consol it has a plug in by the box on the air intake that at the moment is unplugged

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (firecat606 @ Nov 18 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 2006 f6 it doesnt have the switch on the consol it has a plug in by the box on the air intake that at the moment is unplugged[/b]
If you look at the box where those wires come from, there's a diagram to show what the wires plugged/unplugged relate to. I believe (going from memory here) unplugged is for ethanol gas, and plugged in is non-ethanol.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
If unplugged is what the computer box shows for ethanol, yes. I'm pretty sure that's how they're set up ... it's been a few years since I've see those wires under the hood, sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Ijust went out and checked UNPLUGED for ETHONAL,MTBE,or other OXYGENATED fuel

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBlackCat @ Nov 18 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ijust went out and checked UNPLUGED for ETHONAL,MTBE,or other OXYGENATED fuel[/b]
Thanks for confirming TheBlackCat ... my memory's not as bad as I think :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
at least you didnt have to go check and your memory is very good
hope this clears it up for everone..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a post on here last year about this and someone told me to put the switch in the REGULAR postion, which is down. I had it up on the ETHANOL position on my 03 F7, so everyone has a different opinion on this I think. I also heard it affects the timing, so I left mine on REGULAR, but now I'm not sure which way to switch it??

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
You guys are doing a good job of testing my memory with this thread!! LOL :lol:

RichF7 - when I had my '03 F7 the only time I ran it in the "Regular" position was when I was in Wisconsin & knowingly fueled up with non-oxygenated gas. For all other times when I knew I had E10, or even partial E10, the switch was moved to the "Ethanol" position. I think the only time I left it in regular mode was if I knew I had at least a half tank of regular gas mixed with E10. And that sled lasted over 4K miles for me so I obviously didn't hurt anything (although I'm not preaching my method as gospel either). From what I remember, the ethanol position adds 3% more fuel delivery to the system as opposed to the regular mode.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Labontef8 I am still confused, all gas contains 10% ethanol, i donot think you can get any gas without it unless its leaded??

I have heard that if you use Startron it takes the ethanol crap out and you can run it on regular.

so 87 octane is good? my buddies still run 91 but i rather run the less expensive. 15 cents a liter adds up quick on 600 km trip.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Not all gas contains 10% ethanol ... it's not as easy to find the "regular" gas, but there are places with it. I happen to have two stations within 15 miles of my place with pumps containing non-oxygenated gas. It's a non-ethanol gas (old school gas) designated for classic cars and off-road vehicles.

Your sled, as well as ANY Cat from the past decade, is specifically designed to be run with 87 octane ... regardless of it being ethanol or not. The only concern EFI owners should have is whether or not to plug the ethanol wires together or not (or toggle the switch on the 2003 models). The only way you should have to run a higher octane fuel is if you're running engine mods with higher compression or advanced timing.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
LabonteF8, I have 6300miles on my sled with the switch up sometimes and the switch down sometimes, so I'm not concerned, I just wanted to make sure it was in the right position, that's all. Your theory sounds good to me, so I'll try it!! :beer_cheers:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts