Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a number of new F chassis where the Side Panel has melted thru at the exhaust Box. The dealer tells me that there isn't s fix yet.

Any Ideas????

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oakbank1 @ Jan 16 2007, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have come across a number of new F chassis where the Side Panel has melted thru at the exhaust Box. The dealer tells me that there isn't s fix yet.

Any Ideas????[/b]
how deep of snow you riding in, because i have 311 miles on mine and its fine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
most of the f sleds are new and mostly everybody is still running oil in there tanks and if mine still does, thats fine with me because more fuel is better than less because you don,t want to lean it out and burn a piston

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As of today, Cat does not have a fix for this problem and are reluctant to replace the panels until they do. I suggest that everyone that is having this problem take pics and e-mail them to cat

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dragon slayer @ Jan 16 2007, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All the F8s that I have seen with miles on them are melting the side panels and loading up at idle.[/b]
362 miles on my F8, and no melting issues with mine. It also does NOT backfire or load up at idle. I must've got a good one na na

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have about 350 miles on mine from this past weekend in the UP. Got home and started cleaning sled and realized mine is melted. Took it to the dealer and showed them and they are going to discuss with Cat. I think a pic is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brainerdcat @ Jan 24 2007, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have about 350 miles on mine from this past weekend in the UP. Got home and started cleaning sled and realized mine is melted. Took it to the dealer and showed them and they are going to discuss with Cat. I think a pic is attached.[/b]
Here's mine

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dragon slayer @ Jan 16 2007, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All the F8s that I have seen with miles on them are melting the side panels and loading up at idle.[/b]
300+ miles on mine and not a problem!

F8 sp

·
Registered
49 Posts
Checked mine (F1000) for the melting and can see that there is discoloration of the plastic but not melted. Have 110 miles all on our local lake. I am going to line the inside of the panel with heat reflective tape to protect it as much as possible from inside heat from the silencer. However, I do not think the problem is coming from the inside; it looks to me like the hot exhaust gas coming out of the pipe at its exit under the sled is circulating up along the outside of the panel causing the problem. I could see exhaust residue on the side of the panel as well. Need something to deflect the hot gas down away from the side. Not sure how Cat will do it without something hanging down low enough where it may get knocked off. Or they may need to come up with a shield that rivets to the outside to protect it. Hmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kirk @ Jan 29 2007, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Checked mine (F1000) for the melting and can see that there is discoloration of the plastic but not melted. Have 110 miles all on our local lake. I am going to line the inside of the panel with heat reflective tape to protect it as much as possible from inside heat from the silencer. However, I do not think the problem is coming from the inside; it looks to me like the hot exhaust gas coming out of the pipe at its exit under the sled is circulating up along the outside of the panel causing the problem. I could see exhaust residue on the side of the panel as well. Need something to deflect the hot gas down away from the side. Not sure how Cat will do it without something hanging down low enough where it may get knocked off. Or they may need to come up with a shield that rivets to the outside to protect it. Hmmmmmmmm.[/b]
My dealer thinks Its an air flow problem as well. hot air has no where to go

·
Registered
49 Posts
Keep seeing a lot of posts by guys with back firing. Make sure that your throttle is set correctly; not to much slack or free play.

·
Registered
249 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kirk @ Jan 29 2007, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Checked mine (F1000) for the melting and can see that there is discoloration of the plastic but not melted. Have 110 miles all on our local lake. I am going to line the inside of the panel with heat reflective tape to protect it as much as possible from inside heat from the silencer. However, I do not think the problem is coming from the inside; it looks to me like the hot exhaust gas coming out of the pipe at its exit under the sled is circulating up along the outside of the panel causing the problem. I could see exhaust residue on the side of the panel as well. Need something to deflect the hot gas down away from the side. Not sure how Cat will do it without something hanging down low enough where it may get knocked off. Or they may need to come up with a shield that rivets to the outside to protect it. Hmmmmmmmm.[/b]
I too noticed discoloration and exhaust residue, but no melting yet. 156 miles. I too think it's from exhaust gases, because the inside of the panel looks ok. I don't care, when it melts, I'm sure AC will give me a new one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I cant comment on the f chassis but my new crossfire exhaust side panel actually caught on fire to day. I will let you know if and what the dealer is prepared to do

·
Registered
412 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (onfire @ Feb 18 2007, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I cant comment on the f chassis but my new crossfire exhaust side panel actually caught on fire to day. I will let you know if and what the dealer is prepared to do[/b]
What the hell... and none of this melting side panels crap was happening during R&D??? bang your head

·
Registered
129 Posts
My side panel by the exhaust is showing signs of melting as well. The sled back fires at least half the time when you shut it down, and I am allowing extra time for it to come all the way down to idle for a few seconds before shutting down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts