Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 03 F7 efi and last year the tack and speedo started acting up I'm not sure what the problem is and I'm starting to think that the gauge set might be the problem anytime the throttle position is changed the reading goes wildly high then seems to stabilize until the throttle position is changed again just wondering if anyone else has had this problem still looking for loose connections but haven't found anything yet thanks for any help you can offer
:Cansled:

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Check for loose connection on the back of gauge pod. Next remove the belt, remove the secondary. Then unbolt the voltage regulator (do not unplug it), it is at the bottom near the footwell. Back the voltage regulator off the 3 studs. Look at the back side and make sure there are no nicks. Look at the at where the regulator was. This is the drive shaft. In the end there is a small magnet the is recessed in the shaft. If the magnet is nicked, is not flush or even a small piece missing it will cause havoc with the gauge. The part is very cheap, around $1.09US. If you replace clean the recess out very good before putting the new one in.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Make sure you use the correct adhesive when installing a new magnet. Your dealer should have the part number for the adhesive.

Hope this helps jeff

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it when I changed the voltage regulator (thought that might have been the problem) but would that affect the tach as well ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did this fix your problem? I have a F6 doing the same type of thing. Off idle everything is fine but near or on idle it is turning the gauges on and off, plus the headlights seem dim as we. They are way dimmer then the Yamaha's I own. If I click the brights on or turn the warmers on it also resets/turns the gauges off. I've checked the stator it checks out good .1ohms on the lighting coil. I also check the wiring in the hood and ground wiring everything seems ok there also My next guess was the regulator but I hate just throwing parts at it to fix it.

Sorry for tagging on to your post but our problems seem alike.

J

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a similare problem, only opposite of yours. I just picked up an F7 a couple weeks ago and the tach/gauges seemed to be working fine the couple of times I started and reved up (no snow so I can't drive yet). Last night, I was putting the new stickers on and figured I'd start her up just for kicks and noticed that when I give it gas (over about 2000 RPM's) the entire gauge dims and goes out completely. Has anyone had a similar problem and could it be related to a similar cause as the above posts? Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tracked mine down to a grip warmer being shorted out. Well it was only shorted out because the previous owner clamped the wires in the brake lever bracket. :Bangin:

·
Registered
106 Posts
if you unplug the voltage regulator, or any other connection, will it reset the speedo. because i did this and it seemed like if my speedo had added lots of miles.i unplug and re-plug & i looked at the speedo and it had 9000 miles exact. ???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I changed out my Speedo and the problem seems to be gone, plus I have a nice bright Speedo instead of the old dim one. Turns out the gauges went on quite a few of these hope this helps others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts