Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I wanna get a bigger motor in my 03 arctic 500i was wondering if any ideas to get me on the right path ,i understand it's a huge job an I'll have to change running gear just want some in put

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Sounds like you really want to tackle a major project. Anything can be done, it's just how much work do you want to do. A lot changed in 04 for bigger models. At the time there was only a 650 V2 Kawasaki motor. They have their issues but usually carb related. Gas tanks were moved to the rear. You have frame changes for different engines, wiring harness differences and all the electrical components. If you're wanting to change motors due to issues with yours, you're better off finding a Suzuki 500 motor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There geared so low, it's the slowest bike out there lol I was more or less wanting to get more hp an faster to keep up

·
Registered
133 Posts
My previous 2001 AC 500i reved high (for its ground speed) as well.

If engine RPM is very high, is your shifter stuck in "L" gear?

If confirmed in "H" gear and its geared too low (which makes engine RPM higher at its ground speed), have you:
  • Inspected its inner belt to ensure it doesn't need replacing? Thin belts make engine rev higher.
  • If inner belt is good, have you considered installing taller size rubber? Thus, creating faster ground speed for same engine RPM number?
Hope these ideas help....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a manual shift bike I kno these bikes are slow anyways but just wondering things I could do to increase speed or hp

·
Registered
133 Posts
My previous 2001 500i was an auto - belt drive.

Perhaps taller size tires? IMO, much simpler than trying to install a larger size engine and "hoping" its gearing to its wheels is better. To validate ground speed to increase use tire size calculator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts