Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I am new here and I have a quick question for you. I was wondering if anyone has tried to put a newer motor w/power vavles (02) in an older (99) chassis any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Wondering if the motor mounts will work and if the clutches will be alligned? I can get the sled for $700 and the motor for $500. I think it would make a prety nice sled for not much money! Thanks again!

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you get everything with the motor the will mount up, you will need to use the 99 mounts. Do you get the whole 99 with engine? and exh? Does the motor come with the clutch and carbs? If you can get everything with both it would be a great summer prodject, but it would take time and be carefull of all the small stuff like wire and fuel line routing as well as coolant lines. The motor isn't EFI is it?

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
check brown and leasure .com for part matches

I believe the airbox is a bit dif as the 01 has the servo mounted to the box

There is a guy that has a 98 ZL 500 with a 2001 600 apv in it,I looked at it for my bros last year

the can mounting is diferent also as the belly pans are dif

but besides that it looked like a bolt in

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
it will bolt right in.. The air box is no big deal. You can use the 99 box. Just drill holes in it to mount the servo. You will need the wireing harness for the apv motor along with the cdi and servo motor. The pipe is different as well. The can for the apv motor is about twice the size of the 99 can. Mounting it in the 99 might take some tinkering. Your 99 can may work. You will also need the apv vent plat from an 01 or 02 to mount in the belly pan as well. Other than that its a simple project.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
cans are the same size

it is the inlet hole that is diferent size

I have both 98/99 can (small) and my 01 can (larger)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the help!! What is this vent plate i need?? also the sled has carbs and the motor is EFI the 99 is complete but in pieces. What exhaust manifold do i use? and how do i run the power vavles? are they just another cable or are they electroically controled? sry if i sound dumb but i don't have either one here to look at. And what's a servo motor? One last thing, I have the stock can and a black magic silencer:D (i owned it before it got blown up, so it's loud):D

·
Registered
40 Posts
i did this last year 98 zr efi and put in a 01 zl 600 efi apv motor in it. ull need an efi throttle cable. wiring harness. exhaust for the apv. it all bolts right in its pretty easy. i tried running the frame wiring harness off my 98, and the sled never seem'd to wanna rev. so i put in the 01 harness and it worked. dont know why. if i recall there was en extra plug on one of the harness's i had a wrecked 01 so it was pretty eeasy if something didnt work i had a complete 01 to look at and a wrecked one to take the part. good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a Ton!! Yea the throttle cable runs the power vavles right? and it should work with carbs? wiring comes with. exhaust comes with i think (i hope) How much of the wiring did you have to replace? ignition? What about this vent plate? And the most important thing are you happy w/it? Is it pretty ballsy??

·
Registered
40 Posts
i replaced the wiring threw the whole sled, the vent plate is the piece the exhaust exits threw cause a tube will go there from the power valves. the power valves are there own cable cause there controlled by a electric servo. im happy with it i dont ride it though. i guess its kinda snappy but im not sure. i find everything slow since i ride a zr 900. if you are going from carbs to efi or vise versa youre gonna need all that stuff too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok is the servo controled by rpm or throttle position? can you run carbs and not affect the power vavles? do they suck up exhaust or put more out or how's that work? sry for all of the questions

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
I should have commented I used an 02 carbed motor and the can is way bigger than the stock 2000 efi can I took out of the sled. The 01 maybe different. I had a whole donor sled and went from EFI to a carb motor. I just replaced the wireing harness from old sled and put it in my sled. I am assuming the servo is controled by the CDI box and gose by RPM. You will also need 53 gram weights, red white secondary spring and a 53 degree helix for the clutching. The valved motor has a ton more snap at lower rpms and dose not rev as high, gets better gas mileage. You will notice the difference right from the get go. You will need the Y pipe for the apv motor. They are shaped different. I would get that whole sled for 700 bucks. It will make the sawp eaiser as you will have all the parts there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well sry for wasting your time guys but i found a '99 ZL 600 EFI for $1100 so i think i'm going to go that route. Again tho, thanks for all of the help it is greatly appreciated!!! maybe the 600 might need some more power later down the road:D:D:D now i'll know what to do thanks guys (and gals?)!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts