Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what I’m thinking about is to install a engine start button to start sled. I would turn key on in the morning and than use start button the rest of the day. I would just tap in to wires on key switch so should something happen to start button I still have key as back up to start sled. I pulled up drawing for key switch and it looks like terminal A and D would be the 2 wires that I need to tap in to. Going to take a closer look at it on the weekend. What do you guys think ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,312 Posts
Interesting idea. I do like the start button feature on the new sleds. Also like the location of the button. I basically only use the key as a slight security measure.

I'm not a big fan of running extra wires tapped into the harness. One more thing that can fail. Trying to figure out a way to keep the wiring simple and easy to use. The button on the new machines has fail safe built into the function. Basically, you can't use it unless the machine is ready to start. That functionality would be difficult to build in to a retrofit.
I'm not trying to discourage you with the button. Just adding things to consider.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just be careful not to put it someplace you could bump when the motor s running. You could engage the starter when the motor is already running, possibly at high RPM.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to come up with a fail safe for starter button. I think this might work but need second opinion. So when key is on on position, start button will be connected to terminals A and D. When I push button that should complete circuit and start the machine. When sled is running it will supply power to the ACC plug which will energize relay coil and open up number 30 and 87a on relay. With that Circuit open start button will not work well machine is running. My concern is how much power will there be at the 12 V accessory plug while the machine is trying to start. If there’s too much power at ACC plug the relay will open before machine starts and the start button won’t work

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree with your concern that if might not work. By adding the starter interrupt relay you hope to prevent accidental starter engagement while the engine is running. That relay will get its signal from the engine charging circuit via the ACC plug. The problem is the moment the starter turns over the charging circuit will ‘power up’ and then interrupt power to the starter. This might interrupt power and then reinstated power in millisecond intervals. The greatest laid plans... I myself made a failed attempt to make it easier to start my machine in the dark with gloves.
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/procross-2012/485835-easy-access-key-switch.html
My attempt resulted in a broken key. Before the key broke it was easy to start and I did not have fear of accidental starter engagement. Perhaps the start button should be in a location that is both ergonomic and not vulnerable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I picked up start button on the weekend and noticed that they make a delay relay. It’s basically what they use in cars for the door interior light. When the door is open it turns light on and when closed the light stays on for 15 seconds than turns off. This would allow me to start sled and after 15 seconds kill power to start switch. With the drawing I have in post 5 does any body know how to wire delay relay. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
The problem is the moment the starter turns over the charging circuit will ‘power up’ and then interrupt power to the starter. This might interrupt power and then reinstated power in millisecond intervals.

Then you use a timing relay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
guudasitgets
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing