Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this sled last year and was wondering do i have to pull my motor to do a top end rebuild and im sure for a full rebuild im sure it has to come out?

How hard is this process this is something for next year and just trying to get some input/price range for a top end rebuild and a price for full rebuild

·
Registered
89 Posts
You don't have to pull it out for a top end rebuild. If you have basic mechanical aptitiude you can do it yourself. I did my first one this year ( I had seen it done before) with no real problems.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
What he said! Did my first rebuild last year too. Thanks to a great friend who probably got tired of my phone calls, and the service CD, I didn't feel out of my league at all.

How old is the sled and how many miles? Maybe you should just go ahead and do a complete rebuild anyway.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Why are you thinking it needs a rebuild? Are there alot of miles on your Kitty? Are the compression test reading low? I always pull my y-pipe and see what the pistons,rings, and walls look like.

LimeChild

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i didnt do a compression check yet but there was some oil seepage around one of the spark plugs not sure if that is normal but the sled says 2200 miles but the speedo was not working since i got it and i did about 800 miles last year. this sled was bought out of ohio i belive it had ohio license on the hood and if i recall the dealer said it was bought there as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oil around the plugs is nothing to worry about. Does it run well? Do a compression check to determin the condition. If the readings are within 10 psi I would think you are good to go. if it is not a modded engine you should be able to go several more thousand miles.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
If the speedo is not working you may have another issue entirely. Disconnect the speedo cable directly below the secondary clutch and make sure the cable isn't broken. If it's fine you have a drive bearing going bad. When they start to go, they shear off the speedo drive key inside the speedo drive adapter (part you see under that clutch.) This is your warning to replace the bearings before they do more damage to the sled. It's not a technically hard job. There is a writeup on her about it and we can help you if you get stuck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts