Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear of my engine (exhaust side) has a film of oil on it.
It's a 2002 AC Pantera 600.
4500 miles, 110 compression on both sides.
Anything to worry about?
What should I look for?
Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK.
I sprayed it down with engine gunk and scrubbed it and hosed it off.
when we get some snow, I'll check it out after the next ride and see if I can find out where it is coming from.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
87 bucks on a maybe fix(country cat wye pipe and gasket price), I'm not the type to throw parts at a problem. Plus I don't want to snap any studs and have to extract it.
I'll try to pin point the issue.

thanks for the points of intrest.
-APV gasket
-wye pipe

By the way, when I look up parts, my sled comes up twice. One way is international, and the other is somthing else, how do I know which one is mine?

·
Registered
28 Posts
He meant that you should buy new gaskets for the exhaust manifold (y-PIPE). You don't need a new pipe. Also, you can get leakage at the junction between the manifold and expansion chamber. A leak there can blow oil onto the engine too. I just used some Permatex Ultra Copper Hi Temp Gasket Maker on the gaskets and I haven't had a leak since.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I apologize for the seeming glibness of my first reply, but this situation is not a problem, unless it is a problem. When I think of what was said as "a film of oil on the exhaust side of the engine", on a 8 year old sled with 4500 miles on it, oil and grime on everything under the hood is totally normal. A leaky exhaust gasket is going to leave streaks and puddles of black, gooey residue below the exhaust, but that is not what I think of when I see "a film of oil . . .". You are going to have belt dust stick to everything under the hood of a snowmobile and unless you wash and clean the engine and compartment on a regular basis, expect an oily film everywhere.

If you do have a leaky exhaust gasket do not crank down on the nuts. The flanges get warped and tightening the nuts just makes worse. You can true up the y-pipe flange by running a flat file (bastard file) across the flange sealing surfaces, both sides at once. Use copper high-temp sealant on both sides of the gaskets, reuse the old ones, and do not over tighten the nuts. That will be about as good as you can get, and if you have a rich running engine, expect the leaks at the flanges to return.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts