Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 ZR 800 EFI. It will start up and idle fine. At first when riding at any rate of speed it felt like I would hit the kill switch and would shut off. Then when I would come to a stop, start it back up, and hit the throtle, and it would bog out. As soon as you press the throtle and get out of an idle it just cuts out. If you keep feathering the throttle eventually it will take off like nothing is wrong but will go about twenty feet and cut out again. I bypassed the kill switch by wiring the two wires togather on harness side, no results. Anyone have any ideas?? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
The saftey and kill switches are bypassed by unplugging them, I have no idea what you did by hooking wires together

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did you check the throttle lever seals? Easy and inexpensive (less than $10 for both) to replace. There is one on top and one on bottom of the throttle lever. They wear out and cause the throttle safety switch to cut the motor. Might want to pick up an extra E clip at the dealer when you get the seals... that little thing always finds a way to get lost.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
That is your Throttle Safety Switch acting up. There is a three prong plug near the base of the handle bars that you unplug to bypass the throttle safety switch. If bypassing the TSS solves the problem then you can either leave it bypassed, or fix it by replacing the plastic washers on the throttle pivot pin. Those washers are the usual fix and should only be a couple of bucks and take a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 02 MC 800 EFI and was having the same problems. Tried everything I have found on this GREAT site, and nothing worked. Finally pulled the MBRP can I put on over the summer and it seems to be running normal now

·
Registered
564 Posts
Actually I thought this was the reason for mine but the next week after unplugging it, it would still do it. So I plugged it back in and it ran fine but not very well. Turns out that its from my exhaust leaking cause its not sealed. And it was fine before I pulled the pipes off earlier to clean them out. So I am buying some sealant tommorow to see how nice it runs. I am confindent in this fix and will report results back if u havnt got this fixed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edsled @ Jan 26 2007, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
sure sounds like the tps.

dan should require all new members to read the pinned thread on this topic when they register. lol
seems like there's 4-5 threads on this every week.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27548[/b]
NOT TPS, THAT IS THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THING.
GET A CLUE BEFORE DISHING OUT BAD ADVICE.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
GET A CLUE BEFORE DISHING OUT BAD ADVICE.[/b]
Ya mabey you should get the clue here.... TPS is a sensor that recognizes where the throttle is held to. If it isnt reading correctly, it will make it bog out or idle too high or cut the engine out at positions. Its cause it doesnt know where the throttle is being held at and guesses. So this is a very logical explanation to his problem. It may even be the TSS switch but who really knows off hand without seeing it. And u should relax more, he was helping the guy out you do not need to go run around putting people down IN CAPS CAUSE ITS COOL NOW!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drummer @ Feb 13 2007, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edsled @ Jan 26 2007, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dan should require all new members to read the pinned thread on this topic when they register. lol

[/b][/quote]

wow dude, i'm sorry you're so angry in life that you get all bent out of shape from a simple mistake.
i think the link i provided shows what i really meant. i've also replied to countless other posts on this topic helping people correct this problem. maybe you're the one who needs to get a clue.
you'll make more friends here with positive posts rather than useless posts ripping people.

·
Registered
157 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edsled @ Feb 13 2007, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drummer @ Feb 13 2007, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edsled @ Jan 26 2007, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

wow dude, i'm sorry you're so angry in life that you get all bent out of shape from a simple mistake.
i think the link i provided shows what i really meant. i've also replied to countless other posts on this topic helping people correct this problem. maybe you're the one who needs to get a clue.
you'll make more friends here with positive posts rather than useless posts ripping people.
[/b][/quote]Maybe the caps were a bit much, I certainly wasn't angry, and didn't mean to appear so.
I just think some guys need to do there homework before giving advice to the unsuspecting.
If you start messing with the Throttle position sensor, when you only need to disconnect the throttle safety switch, you can open up an ugly can of worms, especially if you don't have the devices to calibrate properly.
I imagine that would make someone angry if they screwed up their sled because of your mistake, and had to take it to their dealer to recalibrate their TPS. By the way, if I decide to "rip" you or anyone else, there will have to be a better reason than this. If my little statement "hurt" that bad, you need to toughen up a little there, Sally.

·
Registered
157 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Feb 13 2007, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
GET A CLUE BEFORE DISHING OUT BAD ADVICE.[/b]
Ya mabey you should get the clue here.... TPS is a sensor that recognizes where the throttle is held to. If it isnt reading correctly, it will make it bog out or idle too high or cut the engine out at positions. Its cause it doesnt know where the throttle is being held at and guesses. So this is a very logical explanation to his problem. It may even be the TSS switch but who really knows off hand without seeing it. And u should relax more, he was helping the guy out you do not need to go run around putting people down IN CAPS CAUSE ITS COOL NOW!!!
[/b][/quote]Wrong. First, you want to exhaust all the simpler fixes first, as the throttle lever bushings are an ongoing problem with these sleds, that would be the logical choice.
Secondly, the TPS would have to be WAY out of wack to cause these symptoms, and is not a typical problem for these sleds anyway, learn what your doing before giving bad advice.(no caps this time, feel better, Timmy?)

·
Registered
564 Posts
First off his was a mistake on typeing, he meant TSS but said TPS. And any of these could have been a choice or a problem. Just because its a problem on these sleds doesnt meant the TPS cant be the problem. He can easily take it to a dealer if hes unsure. And if he does get wrong info from here, its the chance your taking by asking for info on the internet. If you get about 3 people saying the same thing than you are better off. I can promise u with your attitude so far you wont make it very far.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Regardless of who's right, I have been checking quite a few sleds lately and all of them have only a 2 wire connector in the handle bar area. All of these sleds have TM flatslides on them. A 99 ZR 600 carb/99 ZR 700/2000 ZR 600 carb/& a 2000 ZR 700. Unplugging it fixes the bog but the kill switch wont work anymore. So at least its telling me it's a worn throttle flipper washers/ or out of whack cable. tss.
Is the 3 prong plug for roundslide carbs?
The sleds have three 3 wire plugs on the throttle side (smaller wires) one for thumb warmer, one for hand warmer, and one for on/off for thumb warmer and these are all just under the foam pad, Then the 2 wire plug for the kill switch down in the steering column No other 3 wire plug. I have checked the service manual for these sleds and in the wiring diagram they only show a 2 wire system also. I dunno

·
Registered
157 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Feb 14 2007, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First off his was a mistake on typeing, he meant TSS but said TPS. And any of these could have been a choice or a problem. Just because its a problem on these sleds doesnt meant the TPS cant be the problem. He can easily take it to a dealer if hes unsure. And if he does get wrong info from here, its the chance your taking by asking for info on the internet. If you get about 3 people saying the same thing than you are better off. I can promise u with your attitude so far you wont make it very far.[/b]
Where am I going? You defend giving bad advice because it's the internet, it happens, but you should at least TRY to be accurate.
A simple fix can become a nightmare if you start poking around with the wrong things, but thats alright, as long as you don't make a 15 year old feel bad about himself for giving bad advice.
Sorry, I'm not your mommy, I don't care about your self esteem.
It was not a typo, these "experts" confuse TPS with TSS on a regular basis around here, and this needs to be made clear for the guys who have the questions.
My reply was for their sake, not to make YOU and your "feelings" the issue, I'm not here to make friends with coddled kids with thin skin.

·
Registered
564 Posts
So if it wasnt a typo how do u explain the link he posted right under his statement, a link that goes to a TSS solution? And it wasnt my advise there bud I just backed up the fact that it could very well be the TPS switch and nothing you say will tell me other wise. And so what if im 15? ur 49 does that make u special or something? And I dont want to hijack this thread from him so I will simply ignore a certain 49 yol. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Feb 14 2007, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So if it wasnt a typo how do u explain the link he posted right under his statement, a link that goes to a TSS solution? And it wasnt my advise there bud I just backed up the fact that it could very well be the TPS switch and nothing you say will tell me other wise. And so what if im 15? ur 49 does that make u special or something? And I dont want to hijack this thread from him so I will simply ignore a certain 49 yol. :thumbsup:[/b]
TPS switch?, its not a switch, it's a sensor. More evidence that you need to keep your advice to yourself.
There were at least two replies in the thread that referred to the TSS as the TPS, so I'm not picking on any single member here, just trying to help the thread starter. It's not about you Jr., so go back to study hall and learn to express your knowledge, (or lack thereof) more clearly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts