Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some advise on enclosed trailers. Looking to buy one this year. Right now we have 2 full size sleds and 2 z120's but I would like it to grow with us. I would like to keep the length down but not sure if a 20 foot v-nose will fit everything. Any suggestions? :beer_cheers:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
8 feet wide with a v-nose, and we were told at least 24 footer, it can fit 4 crossfires, or any long track sleds, and some gear. To be safe i would do a 24 footer, because if your kids ever do want a long tracked sled. like the crossfire

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 2 cents:
Get something bigger than what you need.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scrat600 @ Jan 24 2007, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What do you plan on towing it with and how far do you plan on towing?[/b]
We have an expedition 5.4L and we will be heading up North about 3 hours to the cottage. It has the towing package and electric brake controls installed. I think the rated tow capacity is 8900lbs.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That should do it.

I'd also recomend the 24' if you want an 8'6" wide trailer. You'll be happy you've got that little bit of extra room.

·
Registered
691 Posts
24' with your truck should be plenty! Just be sure you adjust the trailer brakes every season as well for the brake box in your truck if it's electrical brakes. If it's surge(hydraulic) brakes then just adjust the trailer brakes every 6-12 months. That 24' jas lots of room. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MarCat @ Jan 24 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My 2 cents:
Get something bigger than what you need.[/b]
I couldn't agree more. You always need space, and will cost more to update to it later on. I learned. I have a 24 ft trailer with 1 sled in it for racing, and it still gets crowded with stuff. I like everything neat, not just thrown in. You will fill it up pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Narrower tows better and will get better MPG if you can don't need the extra width. My new trailer is awesome, but it's a car trailer so they can't go side by side with the sleds. It is far less strain on my truck than the side by side 3 place I had. That was 8 1/2 x 16 with the wheels under the box. Mine are on the side and there is no comparison on how much better it is. Larger tires that are mounted on the side, together with less ground clearance makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know about the vehicle laws in Canada, but in the states, especially some states, if your truck and trailer exceeds 26,001 lbs or trailer exceeds 10.000 gvw, then you might need cdl endorsements, medical card, etc. I got a small landscape trailer, 7000gvw. It has brakes on both axles , as the backhoe we tow is 2600 lbs. My wife has a cdl-a so if we upgraded to over 10,000 trailer, she is covered.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Definitly look into the inline. They are very nice to tow. And spend the big bucks for aluminum. I have a couple of buddies I ride with. One has a 8.5x28 v nose car hauler aluminum. And the other has an 8.5x24 four place steel side by side. The 28 footer tows much better with 6 sleds in it than the 24 with 4. I happen to be in the business. Like they said earlier about adjusting the brakes very important. Also after every trip power wash the back side of the brakes between the drum and backing plate to get all the salt out. The salt tears the brakes up bad. In the spring tear them apart and brake clean the whole assembly and repack the bearings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts