Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Emptying the gas tank

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  greensled 
#1 ·
I bought this F7 EFI, and it has about 3/4 of a tank of gas from whenever. Is the fuel pump 12 VDC? I figure I can just disconnect the hose at the fuel rail, power the pump, and dump this thing. Bad idea??? Don't tell me to pull a siphon with my lungs. I never want to taste gasoline again :( BTDT.

#2 ·
I accidentally beer-bonged gasoline from my dirt bike when I was about 16...... I still feel like puking when I smell gas...

Maybe one of those cheap siphon pumps from a hardware store? They come in hand pump and electric (battery) versions for transferring kerosene. They would be in the kerosene heaater section. Just a thought.

#4 ·
Siphon pump from JR Grahm. $4.00 and they work awesome. Since I bought one I haven't tasted gasoline-mamosa in years.

#7 ·
In my personal opinion, I would just siphon it out and maybe get a bit of gas in your mouth. Much safer than doing it with an electronic pump, or the pump in the tank. I tried to pump gas out of a gas tank for my car once with an electronic fuel pump (not the one in the tank), and the damn thing sparked for some unknown reason, and started me and the tank, and the whole damn floor on fire. Luckily the tank was not on the car. After I put myself out, I went in and put out the gas tank, and the shed floor. Ended up in the ER with three really bad second degree burns on my arm and legs, about a month of being wrapped up not being able to do much, and some hefty bills. So speaking from a bad experience, I would avoid electricity if at all possible.

#9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elanor900 @ Nov 12 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All you have to do is use a clear hose and have a can BELOW the tank on the sled and suck just till u see the gas come over the tank and then hold the siphon hose down and let gravity take over, if your tasting gas your doing it wrong.[/b]

That's how I take my premix gas out every year before we ride. I have always put oil in my tank for summer and then start them every other weekend but always take out as much of it as I can and then fill it with fresh to ride.

#10 ·
those little hand siphon pumps work great!!!!

#11 ·
Thanks, I emptied it. I did the clear hose thing, tasted some gas fumes. It's better with ethanol than the MBTE that they used to put in it.
I was just askin about the fuel pump idea, cuz I was looking at it yesterday morning and thought "why won't this work".
Maintenance is all done, new oil in the gear case (looked good inside) and a few modifications new slides new 6" doolies, shield plug, new Y pipe, blah blah blah

Now all I need is snow..... :D

#12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elanor900 @ Nov 12 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
.............. if your tasting gas your doing it wrong.[/b]
:lol: no kidding :lol:

#13 ·
If you have compressed air, and a hose you can make a siphon without ever touching your lips to the hose. Just make a diagonal cut at the outlet end of the hose. Take a blow gun and blow out the end thru the cut. The compressed air will pull the fuel/liquid out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.