Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals I need some major help on this one.
The problem is with a old kawi, it's not charging the batttery well sort of is and isn't. lol confused yet?? When the lights are off no broblem the batt stays charged. The problem is when you turn the lights on, drive for a bit and shut the bike off the batt is dead and wont start the bike unless you give it a boost. Any Ideas on where to start troubleshooting?? bang your head

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Check your head light switch, then the wires to your head lights and your light sockets. While you're at it, check your battery terminals for corrosion and tightness. It sounds like you have a short that is activated when you turn on your lights. If that isn't the cause, your stator might be losing it's ability to generate enough juice to keep everything powered up. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Sounds to me like the battery is shot. Under no load it takes a minimal charge, but under load it'll drain it faster than it can take it. Check the fluid levels in the battery as well. The cold in Canada can do quite a number on batteries too remember.

Being an 05, I'd highly doubt it's the charging system. Can't tell you how many people have their stock batteries die out on them.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
My dad is having a similar problem on his Honda Foreman 400. Battery will take a charge from a charger but running with the lights on or using the winch while plowing will drain it down. Going up first of the week to take a look at it, hoping to just find a bad connection and that it is not the stator.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would start off by checking battery fluid level and putting the battery on a charger for 24 hours.Once charged due a load test on it or take it some where where they can test it.This should tell you if the battery is week and on it's last leg.If it's not the battery, check the stators output.I am not for sure what the exact output is but you should be able to call a dealer and get the model specific output.The cold plays havoc on batteries so the chances are it is a weak battery.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I charged my bat up to full charge and with a volt meter with the atv off it reads 12.5 vols when running it reads between 13 and 14 hit the lights and it drops to between 12.5 and 13 volts :angry: just cant figure it out think im just gonna buy a flashlight and leave the headlights off deadh0rse stupid old cow

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good advice already on here. You should see between 13.5 and 14.5 Volts on the battery terminals with the bike at a specified RPM. Anything less, and it's not charging, or the battery won't take a charge. Sounds like a battery problem to me. Check your levels, chances are they're down. It MAY come back, give it distilled water and charge it SLOWLY for 24 hours on the lowest setting, 2 amps or less. If it doesn't come back, I think you're looking at a new one. I sprung for an Odyssey 680 dry cell. No maintenance and lots of power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts