Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week, I ride with my 580 when... no rpm.... okk.. a stop for looking this problem... No taillight... No Headlight, No guage light, No Bipbip for reverse, and NO RPM!! But my engine run great.... What is it a stator or a wire cuting?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I'd look for a loose wire or towards the voltage regulator first. Not sure if all those things go through the voltage regulator. Maybe unplug it and see if you get a voltage out of it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Taillight wires shorted under the seat or wires shorted together where they run between the coolant hoses through the steeriing support.

·
Registered
515 Posts
could be lighting coil on stator, lets pray its not tho. Ive had that happen to me before.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
First culprit to check is the voltage regulator. Use a volt melter and measure the voltge at the headlight socket, or some other convenient location. If the voltage rises over 14VAC when you rev the engine, then your regulator is shot. Replace the regulator and then start replacing the lamps. If the regulator is not the problem then trace the wires and clean every connection and use dialectric grease on every connector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone ever figure anything else out on this?

Mine has the exact same problem. I already replaced the voltage regulator with a new one with no luck.

Are there 2 stators on these? It runs great still, but no lights anywhere, or handwarmers, tach, etc.

I've checked for bad wires as much as I could and they all look ok, besides under the seat.

How do you get the seat off to check the wires for the tail light?

·
Registered
178 Posts
This exact thing happend on my brothers EXT 530. Heres what to check:

1. Make sure the voltage regulator is working properly by testing with an OHM meter.
2. If #1 doesnt work, Pull the seat AND gastank out so you can access the ENTIRE taillight harness and split the loom open and inspect for any damaged area's on the wire(s) my brother's harness was worn through the coating and shorting on the top front heat exchanger.
3. If #1 & #2 doesnt solve it... I'd look into the lighting coil.

To pull the seat off there should be 4-6 nuts under the tunnel above the track on the side's that need to be removed (make sure you open the trunk and disconnect the tail light harness) if you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there 2 different stators that power the sled?

One for the ignition and one for the lights/hand warmers?

Is the lighting coil part of the stator? Do I need to get a whole new stator if the lighting coil is dead?

·
Registered
178 Posts
No, the primary ignition coil and lighting coil are seperate on the stator. You can replace them without having to get an entire new stator. But some of the newer 580's I thnk are a 1 piece stator assembly but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Does the wiring harness have one common ground for all lights, or do they all ground seperately? Was looking at ArcticCat.com and I can't tell. You might want to contact your dealer and ask.

·
Registered
103 Posts
check the four plug coming out of the stator, clean, sounds like you lost your main harness ground. you can check the lighting coil by checking resistance of 2 yellow wires coming out of stator. check for continuity between engine block and chassis. i think your ignition is working but you lost all other components grounds (most likely in 1 bad connection somewhere). i'm at home now so i cant tell you the yel to yel resistance readings but tomorrow i can. Quick check, check for continuity between engine ground and a brown wire by gauges, also check a bulb or two just to make sure

·
Registered
199 Posts
Check if the harness goes dowm around the motor mounts for rub thrus,and your 4 pin plug coming from the motor for corrosion and a good contact,those yellow wires in that plug are your power coming from the lighting coil,and by looking at the parts on that stator the lighting coil should be replaceable if thats your problem.your lighting coil supplies all your 12v power supply for lights and to run the tach

·
Registered
103 Posts
when using multimeter on two yel wires resistance should be .12-.18 . if nothing then the problem is in the lighting coil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts