Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a led light given to me that is a 24v light and im looking to wiring up a step up box and slapping it on the front of the quad. The light is retail 495 bux Cat happy so id love to make this work.

Here is the specs, what size of step up should i use?....cant find the watt specs tho.

Its a speaker flood led light 7150 model

4,500 Raw Lumens; 3,000 Effective Lumens
Available in 12V DC or 24V DC configurations
Flood, Spot & Trapezoid beam patterns available
Your choice of durable glass or polycarbonate (amber or clear) lens options
Rugged solid state LEDs can withstand shock & vibration
Long-lasting LEDs mean never having to replace another bulb again!
Die-cast magnesium housing provides maximum protection

Overvoltage Protection: 150V peak for 400ms duration, 5 pulses at a 10s interval
Lifetime limited warranty
General Specifications
Lens Pattern : Flood, Spot, or Trapezoid
Lens Material : Glass or Polycarbonate
Warranty: Lifetime Limited Warranty
Housing Material : Die-Cast Magnesium

24V Version
24V DC Input
3.00 Amps @ 24V DC
Raw Lumen Output: 4,500
Effective Lumen Output: 3,000

for step up i was looking at this think this will work???

DC 12V to 24V 10A 240W Step Up DC DC Power Converter Regulator | eBay

Thanks alot guys Rockerdude

·
Registered
65 Posts
This should work well! Step up unit meets all your criteria and more! I would put in-line fuse on 12volt input of 6amp rating! Of course all connections should be soldered and heat shrunk! Thats an insane amount of lumens!!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks glen ill make sure i solder and heat shrink it all and a fuse inline of course.

It should be pretty bright ill try and get some pics :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Make sure light is turned off otherwize you will nuke the camera lens lol!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol ok

·
Administrator
38,909 Posts
I wear my sunglasses at night!!!

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
thats an 80's song, I think

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Your specifications showing it draws 3 amps @ 24VDC is 72 watts only. I imagine that 10 amp or 240 watts or at least a 6 amp minimum DC to DC converter is a good idea to handle possible peak inrush currents. It should work I'm thinking. For comparison in the amount of light, your standard 110 volt AC house hold flood light is about 1500 lumen or VEL=1500

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol holy crap im going to blind everything lol....wyo do you know what kind of draw on the charging system it will create?....hoping not a lot

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your led is rated at 24v 3amps . volts times amps equals watts or 72watts. Input voltage is 12volts therefore current will be 6amps equalling 72watts! I suggested starting with in line fuse rating of 6 amps but you may have to bump it up to safely as high as 10 amps to satisfy in rush current, line losses,and internal losses in step up transformer! I recommend # 14 wire min ,better yet #12stranded wire to limit these losses! To answer your ? 6amps draw is roughly what you are adding to charging system!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
lol holy crap im going to blind everything lol....wyo do you know what kind of draw on the charging system it will create?....hoping not a lot
Glenvolb gave you the correct answer, approximately 6 amps not considering losses in the DC to DC converter which may be no more than a 1/2 amp or less.

This link below you can refer to for wire properties showing the wire gauge required to handle a known amperage. A good link to bookmark. The voltage drop calculator is pretty handy also. Using that data shown there under the power transmission column, you should at a minimum probably use 12 ga wire for the 12v side and you could get by with 14 ga wire for the 24v side and not experience too much voltage drop and handle the current. Either 14 or 12 ga wire on both the 12 and 24volt circuits will work too. My self I'd use 12 ga just because it's stronger and would be less prone to break with vibration.

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire strength

·
Registered
190 Posts
Um see specs, 85% efficiency so I would plan on at least of few % less for efficiency when you add in conductors and connectors not to mention efficiency is bound to drop as the converter ages.

Condition: 100% Brand New
In Stock: Yes
Usable With: vehicles, security systems, telecommunications, medical equipments, instruments etc
Quantity: 1 PCS
Features: Industry grade DC 12V to 24V step-up converter
Features: More than 85% power conversion efficiency
Features: Built-in over/under voltage input, overload, overhead, and short circuit full protection
Features: 100% waterproof & anti-shock protection
Features: Ultra compact size, light weight
Features: Auto-recovery when device is back to normal operating
Features: Stable and reliable performance
Features: Simple to install
Specifications: Input voltage: 12V DC
Specifications: Output voltage: 24V DC
Specifications: Input voltage range: 10 ~ 15V DC
Specifications: Output current: 10A (max), 240W
Specifications: Operating temperature: -10°C ~ +60°C
Specifications: Wire lengths: 150mm (6")
Specifications: Construction: die-cast aluminium casing, Epoxy sealed potting
Specifications: Dimensions: 75 x 75 x 32mm
Specifications: Weight: 250g
Specifications: Conversion Efficiency: greater than 85%

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys i got it all wired up how you suggested....here a little pic its the one in the center. Im not sure why its yellowish tho?...maybe its not getting enough power?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts