Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
As much as I want to buy that, $129.99 is obscene. There is absolutely no reason for these parts to cost this much.

I am trying this one instead on my 2006 400 4X4. I will post back my results. There are a couple of posts on this forum that indicate people are using the 500 and 650 version in their 400s and it just opens up a bit more. I'll give it a shot for half price.

5507 204 Arctic Cat Prowler ATV Electric Choke Assembly | eBay

·
Registered
81 Posts
]
As much as I want to buy that, $129.99 is obscene. There is absolutely no reason for these parts to cost this much.

I am trying this one instead on my 2006 400 4X4. I will post back my results. There are a couple of posts on this forum that indicate people are using the 500 and 650 version in their 400s and it just opens up a bit more. I'll give it a shot for half price.

I hear ya on the cost, but for me to replace the enrichener(broken now) here in Canada with OEM parts is.................. $298!!......... And I hate the way it works so for me I'll give this a go...... They say they have 1/2 dozen machines with this choke in place for 2 years and they work flawlessly, we'll see mine will be here Friday. I will post some initial results

Install video .https://youtu.be/Yp06PcX6UEo

·
Registered
299 Posts

There is no doubt that it is priced high for what it is but for what it replaces it would definitely be worth it. Its supply and demand. There isn't enough demand for them to sale them cheap. If you came up with this design and had someone make it you would have to sell it at a price to where you could make something. Nearly every Arctic Cat that I've owned that has the electric choke has had issues. I would have been glad to have had this when I had my 650 Prowler. When you consider what the OEM replacement is and the trouble they give I think it is a fair price, especially to have something that you don't have to worry about and can use at will when needed. The after market that you posted that isn't even the exact part is $70. If you have to replace it again while you own your bike then you're over the price of the manual choke. To each his own but I think its a good design at a reasonable price. Just wish they would have been available when I needed one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is no doubt that it is priced high for what it is but for what it replaces it would definitely be worth it. Its supply and demand. There isn't enough demand for them to sale them cheap. If you came up with this design and had someone make it you would have to sell it at a price to where you could make something. Nearly every Arctic Cat that I've owned that has the electric choke has had issues. I would have been glad to have had this when I had my 650 Prowler. When you consider what the OEM replacement is and the trouble they give I think it is a fair price, especially to have something that you don't have to worry about and can use at will when needed. The after market that you posted that isn't even the exact part is $70. If you have to replace it again while you own your bike then you're over the price of the manual choke. To each his own but I think its a good design at a reasonable price. Just wish they would have been available when I needed one.
You make some really good points. The aftermarket one I bought is slightly shorter than the one I took out so it actually runs worse now. I can get it running no problem when cold with a pull start (I have an electrical issue and electric start isn't working--next project to fix) but when it's warm and I shut it down it won't start again.

Looks like I'm springing for the manual choke too. Sometimes it's cheaper to just do it right in the first place. Lesson learned (again). My biggest concern was where to mount the damned thing but I guess I'll figure that out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm still contemplating this so I'm doing a lot of research. I found this which looks like it might work for a mere $15.

Hoca Premium Electric Choke - Air & Fuel - Street Scooters & ATVs - PartsForScooters.com Store

I still plan to convert mine to manual but may assemble the parts myself.

EDIT-I've been in contact with Partsforscooters.com regarding the $15 choke linked above and they have tried it in carbs up to 30mm, but haven't had a 34mm carb in their shop to try. They are sending me pictures and measurements and stated that the manual conversion kit they also sell on their site is for the same application (which others on this forum have said works in the 34mm carb on the 400 motor), so it should work. If the measurements match my OEM part, I will be placing an order and posting more info here. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still contemplating this so I'm doing a lot of research. I found this which looks like it might work for a mere $15.

Hoca Premium Electric Choke - Air & Fuel - Street Scooters & ATVs - PartsForScooters.com Store

EDIT-I've been in contact with Partsforscooters.com regarding the $15 choke linked above and they have tried it in carbs up to 30mm, but haven't had a 34mm carb in their shop to try. They are sending me pictures and measurements and stated that the manual conversion kit they also sell on their site is for the same application (which others on this forum have said works in the 34mm carb on the 400 motor), so it should work. If the measurements match my OEM part, I will be placing an order and posting more info here. Stay tuned.
This could be the answer to my carb prayers! Waiting intently. Thanks for looking into this.

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Reactions: johndenverut

·
Registered
23 Posts

I received the measurements from Partsforscooters.com and it seemed a little shorter than my stock electric choke. Since the $15 electric choke they sell is for the same application as the manual choke they offer, I went ahead and ordered the manual choke. The plunger was indeed shorter than stock, but I installed it anyway. It does seem a little too short and it seems I cannot close the choke all the way. It seems to get stuck somewhere in the cavity. However, my ATV does run better for the most part. I read in a thread here that someone installed a larger spring in their choke to keep it closed because they never used it and the ATV can be started with the primer lever on the carb. I may try that but I was able to get mine running mostly correct by adjusting the idler screw. It does idle too high, but at high RPM, it runs properly and doesn't misfire in forward gears. For some reason it does in reverse though, which I am well aware makes absolutely no sense.

I have done several internet searches for a longer plunger (you cannot reuse stock with a manual choke as there is no way to connect the cable) but I have not had any luck. Another option is to buy the $15 Partsforscooters.com electric choke and swap in the stock plunger. I just hate to keep swapping these damned things out and it would be nice to have some sort of manual control over the choke.

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
What happens when you hold the reverse over ride button in ?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts