Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 06 700 that has been trail ported, heads cut, air intake, D&D Y pipe, BMP pipe mod and Boondockers Box

Sleds runs very well, and is tuned resonably good on the big end (EGTs of 1210-1235 at 1000ft) but the sled is a gas hog. Noticed at trail speeds (4500-6000RPM) temps are only around 950-1000.

Is it safe to lean it out some and get temps up some (1100 or so) under the cruising/lighter load conditions?

It runs awesome, but MPG is probably 8-9 MPG

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could lean it out some mid range. I would think 1150-1200 would be OK. Some stock 03s were 1300 in mid range, but I wouldn't be comfortable that hot. Watch piston wash to be sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
at 7200 -555,7800 -10 -10 -10 8100, -10-10-10 if you arent using these numbers at least you arent in the ball game . the fuel you need to add is 4000= 222 6500=222 these are leaner settings but work well i have run these settings on lake race with egts around 1200 wash shows i have room at the top end and will lean further, ideal for me would be 1275. what clutching you running? super tips i hated

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am running a Boondogker Box, this years version.

Any suggestions on how to check the wash on the laydown engine? (with lack of room to get a good look?)

I am running BMPs setup, Supertips, and the team spring conversion. Getting full shift though (sled is actually 06 crossfire)

·
Registered
96 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M7-Dave @ Jan 17 2007, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Any suggestions on how to check the wash on the laydown engine? (with lack of room to get a good look?)[/b]
Buy a Stylus pocket flexable LED flash light at an auto parts store. Pull the pipe and plugs. Stick the light in the Y pipe, and look down the plug hole.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have 2004 trail ported F-7 EFI.... with all the other tricks.....
head, key, pac, v-forc3, Y-pipe, single pipe
New this year is the boondocker......and EGT............

before boondocker i used the fuel presure reg to increase fuel psi............+2 lb

and have been using boondocker to adjust fuel flow.

Started at all zeros.......3000, 5000, 6700, 7800, 8100

My sled is nearly opposite of your with EGT temps........
very hot mid range.............5000rpm is 1200-1250 degrees.....
and at wot 7900-8000 rpm............1050 degrees

I was told to take out the needle valve when using the boondocker......but haven't had the time yet.....
I'm not sure if I should also lower fuel psi, back to stock..........since i have boondocker.....
i'm thinking to leave it......for safety reasons, if boondocker craps out.....then I now i can unplug it and go.

My fuel economy is fair with only 2+ psi............
And i am still quite rich everywhere except 5000 rpm

I'm changing boondocker slowely.............on WOT I'm now seeing 1100 degrees
and i think my 7900 settings are only -4's across the low...med...hi
8100 is still 0 0 0 since i have it clutch below that rpm range......

I too am using super tips.............. total weight is 78.5 grams......
you need to actually weigh the weights..........with screws and washers it looks like 76 gr.....
60 gr base.....2 tungs (14g) 2 washers (2).........is 76, but weights 78.5

they work good.........haven't tried any other weight thou

I moved 1 tungston last weekend and what difference......lost alot of RPM
found it with a helix change, but was still slower than previous tests this year.....

any questions give me a shout

Max

·
Registered
225 Posts
Don't tune with your egt's ALL vary, and you can blow your engine if you try and go after another persons numbers. Use wash and plug color and then compare those settings to your egt's. Then theres your baseline, egt's are way over rated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my results over the weekend, this is very interesting.

I had BMP do all the work, install the parts, etc.... just out of the fact I didnt have time in the fall to do it. They installed the D&D Y-pipe and using the D&D instructions, re-used the metal gaskets for the jugs. Well, it wasn't sealed and was spraying oil/fuel all over the engine, etc....

I removed and used high temp Red RTV to re-seal the Y-pipe. My plugs went from sooty black around the base with a very dark brown electrode, to now being totally soaked! I never checked wash previously, but now I have at least 1/2" around the main ports and very wet.

After sealing it up, I have been able to significatnly reduce fuel settings and still be rich. Sled is running well, and MPG is starting to get to about 10mpg. Making headway, moving conservativly (plugs are cheaper than pistons LOL)

I wanted to post this as to make sure you guys all have the y-pipes sealed up!

Sled runs strong, put the whooping on all of my buddies Crossfire 8's by 10 sled lengths, and a couple of 800HO PowerTek Revs by 4-5. A Apex by 15 lengths in 1000ft on hard pack snow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is pic of my EGT graphs while doing some longer WFO pulls. I only go back down to 5500 RPM then jump back on it.

Just to show what I am seeing on my EGTs.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts