Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here and just got myself a red and black 2008 DVX 400. I was wondering how much oil it takes to do an oil change? any info would be great.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
First off welcome call I run Amsoil in my 2004 dvx 440, I do an oil change after every 2 race weekends, so about every 8-12 miles including practice. When I drain my tank and case, I ususally end up puting about 2.4-2.8 quarts back into my machine. If your just an average rider and are not racing you dont need to change your oil that often, its just what I do. Feel free to bring any questions to this site, there are a few knowledgable people on here that know about the DVX and alot of guys who know more about the utility quads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I am just a trail rider and the occasional dunes so i dont think i will be changing it that often. [attachment=139429:1117091357.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are Tusk Offroad, they came chrome from the guy i bought them from but i didnt like it so i sand blasted them down and powder coated them black.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I had Black ITP C Series wheels, they look nice for a few rides but after the rocks get to them, they look like hell. If your going to get black wheels I would just get the black carbon fiber Hyper Wheels. you looking for anyother aftermarket stuff?? I have some Elka shock in excelent condition and some +2 Alba Aarms along with a buch of other stuff if your interested. Check out the bottom of my profile, there is a bunch of stuff for sale that I had on my DVX but I decided to try a different set up and went with the Roll design aarms and Motowoz shocks all around.

·
Registered
710 Posts
i do like those nerf bars! definitely look better in black. upgrading will not stop i can tell ya that haha. after one thing is done, you will be looking for the next!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i understand always wanting to upgrade. my next buy is HMF exhaust, how do you guys feel about the slip on exhaust versus the full pipe?

·
Registered
710 Posts
if money is an issue, get a slip on...with a few minor tunes you can get it to work well. I went with a full exhaust and i think you get more power out of a full rather than just a slip on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will probably lean towards the slip on mainly for the money reasons, besides the pipe and nerf bars what are some fairly cheap upgrades that are out there? i got a pretty tight budget but still want it to be better Rockerdude

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I wouldnt get an HMF pipe in MHO. But if your set on that pipe, I have a full Alba comp series pipe I will sell ya for $150, it sounds mean and puts out some awesome HP, its loud though and I will throw in my stock carb with the correct jetting for the pipe if you buy it. I would honestly go with a full pipe, its only a little more money and your going to kick yourself for just getting a slip on pipe.

What else are you looking for for your machine? I have shocks and +2 aarms, if your looking for that type of stuff, I think I have some 1 3/4" bar risers and some acerbis hand guards...... It all depends on what you want to do with your machine, I have 20 grand into mine, its way to much I know but I love it lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im not set on the pipe, its just the only i have heard about. what kind of shape is the alba pipe and carb in, i think that would be a better deal then what i can get the HMF for so i am interested. im new to the hole upgrading shocks and a-arms thing so what does the +2 mean? 20 grand is alot of money but your bike looks amazing and im sure it rides like a dream, i think i have seen your bike on another DVX website.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The header pipe is in good shape, the can has a little dent on the underside from bottoming out on my brake caliper, but its barely noticeable and doesnt affect sound or performance, I will have to look but I think I have a silencer for the end too, it needs some work to put it on, just drilling 3 holes and tapping them, its kind of a bad design, but it works perfect if you dont need to worry about noise. The carb is the stock carb, with different jets, its very clean, I replaced the float bowl screws with hex head screws because I was doing alot of experimenting with the jetting for the pipe and open airbox lid. it works perfect, I just went with an Edelbrock carb for the motorwork I have done because I needed more fuel and the edelbrock is the closest thing to Fuel Injection on a carborated machine you can get.

+2 means they are 2'' wider on both sides, my machine was actually 9 inches wider than a stock 300X with these aarms lol. They make your machine so much more stable and look really good too. The shocks are all in New condition and there is nothing wrong with them, I just went with a different set up and am running what the sponsers recomended me to run. lol. The aarms were powdercoated this past December and have 1 indoor arena supercross ride on them. They are very clean :thumbsup: . Im not trying to push my stuff off on you by trash talking HMF but I havent heard many good things about them. Not alot of guys run them at the track. Even if you dont buy my pipe, I still wouldnt recomend an HMF pipe.

My bike does ride like a dream, and I have spent way to much money on it, but its a passion :wub: just like anyother sport/passion/dream. Your going to spend the money on what you love to do. My bike is on a couple other websites, dvx400.com gave me a whole page all dedicated to my machine lol. If you want some pics of the aarms, pipe, shocks, and anything else you may be interested feel free to email me and I can send ya some with some more descriptions and prices. [email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i thought it was your bike on dvx400.com, I like the graphics kit. thanks for the info on the pipe, I will still be shopping around and let you know what I find. I would like to make my bike alittle wider and more stable but will it still fit in the back of a regular bed chevy? I understand the spending money on the things you love, i play hockey and spend alot of time fishing, those two always seem to need more money haha.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yep, it fits but just barely lol, if your tires arent straight when you load it in, it wont clear the wheel wells, I have a regular box on my Z-71 and it fits nice and snug in between the wheel wells when Im not using my trailer to transport my quad. Oh yeah I hear ya about having alot of hobbies, I grew up playing hockey, I hunt...... everything lol and all around the country, goose, duck, deer, grouse, white tail, pheasant, and I fish all over the world. so I know what your sayin. And your right, there is never enough money hahahaha

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would like to get $1,300 for the aarm and shock combo, I dont think that you stock shocks will fit these aarms, I bout them as a combo pack in July 2007 and I had them repowder coated in late December 2008. If I had to split them up, I would do the aarms for $600 and the front shocks for $800. The set up doesnt really lower your bike, it makes it wider though, its a motocross set up so it gives you the travel and stability you need to rail corners and land the awkward jumps. Here are some pics from when I rebuilt my bike in January after I had it all powder coated so you can see the aarms and the stance of my bike with the Elka shocks and the Alba aarms. Also here is a pic of the pipe.
[attachment=141239:SSPX0782.jpg][attachment=141240:SSPX0459.jpg]
[attachment=141241:SSPX0453.jpg][attachment=141242:SSPX0449.jpg]
[attachment=141243:SSPX0419.jpg][attachment=141244:Shock__Front_2.jpg]
[attachment=141245:Quad_Rebuild_010.jpg][attachment=141246:Exhaust_...filter_2.j
pg]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts