Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please post pics of the "duckbills, where to locate them and how to seal them please. And if I heard the belt slipping the other day, does that mean there is water in there and If so do I need to drain it? My ignorance with this stuff knows no bounds so thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
"duck bills" are item #2 of the Case/Belt Cooling Assembly in the Arctic Cat parts fiche on www.countrycat.net. They are small rubber grommet doohickys found in the belt intake and exhaust snorkels and in the air filter box. Also replace the crankcase vent hose that runs from the motor up to the air box because it will leak water to. Most people fill the duckbills with silicone and silicone them into place.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
[attachment=109264:0742_496.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im good on the duckbills now but still lost about the crank case hose. You said "replace it". If so, what do I replace it with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Damn duck bills have been in the forums lately.
My belt slipped bad while ridin in 2ft of water , turns out the water got in through the damn duck bill.
I'm gonna snork the bike once hunting seasons over .

Editing my post here ,
Just go back from the dealer and was checkin out the new 550 H1 and noticed no duck bills on the belt case breather tubes. Seems Artic is slowly adressing some these little issues.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Replace the crankcase vent hose with some common heater hose from an auto parts store. I think it is 3/8 inch I.D. My H1 and my wifes 400 ccv hoses both had a slit cut into them lengthways about an inch above where it connects with the crankcase. I guess it is to release case pressure if the hose becomes plugged for some reason like dirt dobbers or do-right bugs. Polaris does this with their ccv hoses and it is a common problem with water getting into the case through the slit after the rubber ages and begins to degrade.

If you heard or felt your belt slip then yeah you probably got a good bit of water in the housing. The housing drain plug is located on the bottom of the belt housing towards the front of the right footboard. If you get water out and it is dirty then you can run clean water through the belt case by sticking a water hose in one of the belt snorkels and letting it run out the drain while you rev the engine alittle. Be sure to let it dry good before putting the plug back in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was slipping on me and making noise so I must have gotten water in it. Ill try and flush it out and see how it goes. Good idea with valves, looks like a warranty killer for me though. Thanks for the help fellas

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jess866 @ Oct 14 2008, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It was slipping on me and making noise so I must have gotten water in it. Ill try and flush it out and see how it goes. Good idea with valves, looks like a warranty killer for me though. Thanks for the help fellas[/b]
Any modification to stock kills the warranty depending on the dealer.

Another idea is to trade out the clamps that hold the intake/exhaust on for some hose clamps. I know friends that were having trouble with them. There is a drain on the case, it's a 10mm bolt I think right under the primary. No pic sorry. If you are taking the case apart watch what you use to clean it or your belt will start to slip on the clutch..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts