Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Drop Case Oil

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Minnesota Flats 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie to AC as I just bought a nice used 05 t660 turbo touring. I'm trying to get ready for weekend riding and notice drop case oil is a little low on the stick. How do you add? As you can see, I'm no mechanic!

#2 ·
welcome call to ArcticChat! :chug:

You can add through the filler hole, it's closer to the top of the case, or through the dipstick hole/tube.

If you slightly overfill, it won't hurt anything... But will likely end up coming out of the vent and get messy.

#5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JASCAT @ Mar 8 2007, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the help! I assume I can pick up proper lube at my ac dealer?[/b]
Yes... You have reverse right? Use Arctic Cat Transmission oil or equivalent, not the regular chaincase lube.

Note: Arctic Cat Transmission lube is not the same as automotive ATF lubes.

Automotive ATF oil is not recommended by AC... They are different oils with different specs/properties.

Although many claim to use the automotive ATF types without problems, two of my old riding buddies did have problems. Like noticeabley more metal on the inspection plug magnet... Stretched/worn chains in just a few thousand miles. Could it have been caused by a problem un-related to the automotive ATF fluid? Maybe. Could be caused by the automotive ATF? Maybe. I'll never know for sure. But I do know for sure that the AC recommended oil will not be the source of a problem so there's really no reason to experiment with oils that aren't recommended.

Many have argued automotive ATF has given them no problems for thousands of miles. Fine.

But that doesn't mean the recommended proper lube is bad, does it? And it certainly doesn't demonstrate/prove the automotive ATF fluid is better either. Many will recommend automotive ATF is better, but can't prove the OEM stuff is bad. Keep this in mind when you search the internet forums about this issue.

I've managed to get so many thousands of miles on my chaincase/reverse parts with the recommended lube, so I have no reason to experiment with non-approved oils & risk lifespan of the parts.

:chug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.