Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok blew out the speedo side bearing and took the drive shaft out to fix, but the drop case side bearing fell OUT of the holder when i slid it off the driveshaft. i didnt see which way the bearing went in. Is the collar on the bearing (i know this side doesnt have the allen set collar, im talking about the collar on the bearing itself) face OUT towards the gear or in towards the drive wheels? i know stupid question but when i took the drive shaft out, it fought me and the bearing dropped out and the new one is identical, but i dont know which way...and all parts diagrams are vague and dont show anything...any help would be appreciated
Ron

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
speedo side collar is left on the bearing and it faces the track. Chaincase, the collar "side" faces the lower drive sprocket but you leave the collar off, just slide the sprocket on after you goop up the shaft with RTV

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANK YOU!!! i know there is no slip on collar on the gear side, just wanted to be sure i had it on right behind the gear!!!!! might get the sled together this weekend and out of my garage!!! thanks everyone. New bearings, so i know to RTV the O ring in and on the splines of the shaft too. Hear the oil can creep past there and drip!!!

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Guys, is this true for all models? Had the same issue with my '98 Tcat...bearing slid off and I didn't notice which direction the collar faced. Cat's pics in the manual aren't very good. Assembled with collar facing the track and it appears the gears line up. If everyone agrees the collar should face the gears, I'll change it...luckily I didn't put the lube back in yet.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Lock collar by rotating in the same direction as the shaft rotates.

The speedo side bearing always has the lock collar on the inside facing the track.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
No collar needed obviously, but the collar portion goes toward the gear. In the pics below its the same for reverse and non reverse. I like to think of the collar shelf as a built in spacer for the gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,904 Posts

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Don't know the measurement for sure, but something like that. That's how mine are anyway.

·
Registered
976 Posts
When replacing the driveshaft bearings, be sure to tighten the lower gear onto the shaft before locking the collar on the speedometer side bearing. This will center the driveshaft in the tunnel and pull the driveshaft into the gear as far as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts