Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onyone got some links to some affordable and durable suspension drop brackets I could throw into my cougar? Want a little more travel for the deeper lug track, thanks alot!!!

Chris

·
Registered
978 Posts
Drop brackets won't give you any extra travel, it is limited by the suspension design.

They also won't give you any extra clearance for track lugs. The track to front heat exchanger distance is what limits your lug height.

The only thing raising the rear does is shoot your handling in the A$$.

·
Registered
208 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The only thing raising the rear does is shoot your handling in the A$$[/b]
As so I have learned. I used the drop brackets on my ZR when I changed the trck. Finally got to ride last night and hate the handling.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my question is because I have been reading alot of reviews on drop brackets and people have said that they make your sled alot easier to handle in the soft stuff but the problem is when you get stuck you are in there deep so I just wanted to know, are drop brackets pretty universal, say if I found a set that said they were for a sled, but all they were were two pieces of aluminum welded together and holes drilled in them they would work right? I mean, as long as I keep the arms bolted in at the correct lengths right? I appreciate you guys comments on how you think it's a waiste of time, but I am convinced that I want to try a set. And I am not going to put in like an 8 inch drop bracket. I was just wanting some links to check them over. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm not going to try and talk you out of them. I will tell you my experience. My 98 ZR 600 came with drop brackets attached to the underside of the running boards. About 1 1/2" lower. When I changed my track I thought I would give it a try. I put the rear bolts into the brackets and off I went. Not such a good idea on the tight trails that I ride.

The sled felt like I was driving a brick on snow. Hard suspension even with the shocks and springs adjusted to very soft and handling was terrible. Couldn't slide the corners at all and felt very tippy.

However, I did ride the fields in fresh powder and can say with a bigger lug track that would defineately be the way to go. So I guess it depends on riding style. If you ride powder only I'd say go for it. If you ride a variety, don't do it because you won't like it (or maybe you will).

That being said, if you're still determined to put them on, make careful measurements on each side before you drill the holes to bolt them on. If you are off even slightly, the suspension won't line up right and could cause premature wear on various components. Mainly driveline bearings, but also track, wheel bearings, slides.

Sorry this is long, but wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you are serious, just bolt on a couple of pieces of aluminum angle. No need to spend lots of money. Just take your time and make double sure of your measurements. If you don't do anything drastic you'll be able to go right back to stock if you don't like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts